Toast Tom Stewart - Gun Footballer.

Remove this Banner Ad

I am..like everyone else..a fan of Tom Stewart, but his start this year hasn't been to his usual standard. Because of his past percormances, he gets a pretty free run here despite making some poor errors and misjudgements at times this season.

That said, his last quarter, particularly early on was more like the Stewie of old.

Wouldn't bet against him snagging another AA before taking over the captainsy next year.

I am..like everyone else..a fan of Tom Stewart, but his start this year hasn't been to his usual standard. Because of his past percormances, he gets a pretty free run here despite making some poor errors and misjudgements at times this season.

That said, his last quarter, particularly early on was more like the Stewie of old.

Wouldn't bet against him snagging another AA before taking over the captainsy next year.
I actually believe Henryā€™s confidence levels have been down, whether thatā€™s flying for the ball or even a simple Sheppard to allow Stewart to make has been an issue.
Once the chemistry is back then I expect Stewart to be back to his best.

Along with Henry

lol. Dazbroncos disagreeing with factual statements again i see.

It does not change the fact that stewart has half of enrights core individual achievements in less then a third of his games. Its simply a fact. You can choose not to like it. Cant disagree with reality. you just look silly if you try.
Why does it even matter?
You think Stewart is better than Enright. Why does it matter to you that people donā€™t agree with you? Insecurity?
Who honestly cares.

lol. Dazbroncos disagreeing with factual statements again i see.

It does not change the fact that stewart has half of enrights core individual achievements in less then a third of his games. Its simply a fact. You can choose not to like it. Cant disagree with reality. you just look silly if you try.

Also a fact is that by the time he was Stewartā€™s age on debut Enright had been playing for 5 years. Games played I would have thought is fairly irrelevant considering one player was recruited as a ready made AFL player, the other had to develop into one, and started out as a midfielder

Last edited:
Also a fact is that by the time he was Stewartā€™s age, Enright had been playing for 5 years. Games played I would have thought is fairly irrelevant considering one player was recruited as a ready made AFL player, the other had to develop into one, and started out as a midfielder
Shhh with those pesky facts

Spot on - couldnt agree more

If Geel are going to improve - they need more run - Id like Stewart and Henry to look at tapes of Andrew Mackie in action - he would take multiple bounces - and now and again kick inspiring goals on the run

When was the last time a Cats player in a game took a bounce of the ball ?

Really top sides in the past - that half back line can be your 1st line of attack

Spot on - couldnt agree more

If Geel are going to improve - they need more run - Id like Stewart and Henry to look at tapes of Andrew Mackie in action - he would take multiple bounces - and now and again kick inspiring goals on the run

When was the last time a Cats player in a game took a bounce of the ball ?

On Saturday.

A T. Stewart took one in the game against Collingwood

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I have always thought that the Enright - Stewart comparisons were off the mark. They are different style of players, who just happen to play in defence.

A better comparison is Stewart and Ken Hinkley. They were very similar players, the main difference being Hinkley had a short career.

Very good in the air, awesome at reading the play, great kicking skills, attacking mid sized defenders.

I actually believe Henryā€™s confidence levels have been down, whether thatā€™s flying for the ball or even a simple Sheppard to allow Stewart to make has been an issue.
Once the chemistry is back then I expect Stewart to be back to his best.

Along with Henry
It's just not as settled down there as it was in recent seasons. And we're also exposing them to more opposition attacks coming in at a rate of knots, as a result of our tweaked game style.

Personnel-wise, despite all the vitriol for him around here, I think Tom probably really appreciated having a player like Hendo alongside him in D50. Allowed him to play with even more freedom, knowing that the #25 would be always providing a 1v1 contest against dangerous opposition players if/when something went wrong. And, as you noted, I think Henry's slow start hasn't helped the overall level of confidence of the group so far either.

So as the group now starts to play regularly together and trust each other more instinctively, I think we'll see some improvement.

Stewart is also coming back from a significant injury last year. While he may be in great physical shape, there would be no doubt Lisfranc is a very problematic injury.
He would have been on a specific training regime during the preseason. Maybe not as much heavy loaded exercise as the rest of the senior group?
Might take a bit more time to see the old Tom Stewart emerge again.

I have always thought that the Enright - Stewart comparisons were off the mark. They are different style of players, who just happen to play in defence.

A better comparison is Stewart and Ken Hinkley. They were very similar players, the main difference being Hinkley had a short career.

Very good in the air, awesome at reading the play, great kicking skills, attacking mid sized defenders.
Stewarts more bash and crash then hinkley. Hinkley was more graceful like a violin or a gazelle. stewart more reminds me of scarlett in his later years when he stopped playing key position. Just with more big cat energy.

Stewarts more bash and crash then hinkley. Hinkley was more graceful like a violin or a gazelle. stewart more reminds me of scarlett in his later years when he stopped playing key position. Just with more big cat energy.
Agree.
Hinkley did not seem to play right on the edge like Stewart does. Looking a bit that Zac Guthrie is more like KH

Remove this Banner Ad

Back