Tom Jonas (Past Player)

Remove this Banner Ad

I would've delisted him 4 years ago
4 is pushing it. He was genuinely elite in 2018, the real problem is that he was allowed to coast off that to the start of this year.

It'll be interesting to see if McKenzie or Aliir miss a game at any point whether Jonas gets another chance or if his papers were finally stamped last weekend. Hopefully we never find out the answer to that question.

I could live with Wines, but if you ask me, Dan Houston for next captain.

I would like Connor Rozee as the next captain, he’s 24 he’s our best player and can win a game off his own boot.
Need someone other players can follow.

We can all beat a dead horse..

But let's also be greatful for what he did for us ... Played a couple really good years ..

Cheers TJ
kickng a guy why he is down is not on in my eyes. He has probably come to the end , but he gave his all, yes there have been more talented players who have represented the club, but he always put his body on the line.

Doubt he plays another game for the Club. Tbh I think the only thing stopping him and the Club from announcing an in season retirement is the small fact Clurey being out for he season leaves the team precariously short down back in the event of an injury or two. But given how much of a slug Jonas has become I wouldn't be opposed to playing Jones and Bergman on bigger KPFs in the event Aliir or McKenzie get injured again.

Harry Maguire

Fair comp, though Maguire would still be useful at a fair few clubs. Jonas on the other hand is absolutely cooked whilst being completely oblivious the game has well and truly passed him by.

Doubt he plays another game for the Club. Tbh I think the only thing stopping him and the Club from announcing an in season retirement is the small fact Clurey being out for he season leaves the team precariously short down back in the event of an injury or two. But given how much of a slug Jonas has become I wouldn't be opposed to playing Jones and Bergman on bigger KPFs in the event Aliir or McKenzie get injured again.

Fair comp, though Maguire would still be useful at a fair few clubs. Jonas on the other hand is absolutely cooked whilst being completely oblivious the game has well and truly passed him by.
I don't think Jonas is oblivious the game has passed him by, I think he's doing what he's always done and tried to make up for his limited skillset with grunt.

The obvious issue is that the game speed has increased and is not a gamestyle that suits him at all. All his flaws are more exposed now and his judgement has seemingly gotten worse too as he is trying to will himself through it.

I appreciate what he's done for the club as he put in a few really food years and many solid ones, but this will be his last. No need to hate on the guy, happy for him to retire in peace.

Always felt like a placeholder captain to me.

Came in when Boak didn't want to do the job anymore and only should have been there until a leader in the next generation of the playing group matured - and it probably should have been Wines as soon as he won that Brownlow.

I have my reservations about Wines (the "it was a successful season in terms of win-loss" comment after the absolute bed shitting of the 2021 prelim final a standout), but at least he is still a first choice player.

This is exactly what I think too, except now we're at a point that I probably go past Wines as well. Jonas seems well liked by the players and clearly had some semblance of leadership in people's eyes, if you felt Wines wasn't yet ready to go when Boak stepped down then Jonas could've been named sole captain until Wines was ready, and surely the point at which you win a Brownlow you're ready? Would've meant a max 3 years of TJ as captain and by now he'd have faded off into the sunset gracefully.

As it is now though I don't think I'm giving it to Ollie, I think you'd go younger with a bit more constant influence on the field.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't think Jonas is oblivious the game has passed him by, I think he's doing what he's always done and tried to make up for his limited skillset with grunt.

The obvious issue is that the game speed has increased and is not a gamestyle that suits him at all. All his flaws are more exposed now and his judgement has seemingly gotten worse too as he is trying to will himself through it.

I appreciate what he's done for the club as he put in a few really food years and many solid ones, but this will be his last. No need to hate on the guy, happy for him to retire in peace.

It was clear the game had passed him 12 months ago. If he had any clue of that in the world he would have given up the captaincy. He's either oblivious or selfish (or worse, both). Take your pick.

It was clear the game had passed him 12 months ago. If he had any clue of that in the world he would have given up the captaincy. He's either oblivious or selfish (or worse, both). Take your pick.

He's thick. That's all.

This is exactly what I think too, except now we're at a point that I probably go past Wines as well. Jonas seems well liked by the players and clearly had some semblance of leadership in people's eyes, if you felt Wines wasn't yet ready to go when Boak stepped down then Jonas could've been named sole captain until Wines was ready, and surely the point at which you win a Brownlow you're ready? Would've meant a max 3 years of TJ as captain and by now he'd have faded off into the sunset gracefully.

As it is now though I don't think I'm giving it to Ollie, I think you'd go younger with a bit more constant influence on the field.

I have a sense that Wines didn't want it after the windback of dual captains.

I agree that we need to now think of the long term future.
Butters, Houston, or Rozee.

Maybe tri-captains?

I remember an old sport movie - perhaps one of the best sport movies ever made - Slapshot.
About an ageing, washed up ice hockey player (Paul Newman) who discovered that the best way to prolong his career, and promote his team's flagging performance, was to embrace violence on the ice.

It was a blood stained performance by Newman, who unforgettably hired the psychopathic Hansen twins to complete the violent, on - ice trifecta.

This so much has been a recipe and pathway for our ageing Tom (sans the Hansens). He clearly has seen the movie.

That is one thing you can't say about Tom Jonas.

I disagree with this.

Tom did his best, and was once a very good AFL player and captain, but now is the time to go. With this game plan he needs to be athletic and fast, which he isn't.

I agree with this.

Never really felt much or inspired by him as a captain. From the stupid skiing social media post to agreeing to being a co captain said enough for me.

He’s another one that always goes for the punch/spoil even when there’s opportunity to mark.

Ciao

I think you're probably right, question then becomes which of the younger guys is capable and up for it. Will be interesting as well, if there is a coaching transition between now and next season, what effect that may have over the captaincy.

Much n all as he's been a frustrating player the last couple of years, I must admit I feel a bit sorry for him in his current predicament. Having said that, I don't want him back in the side.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back