Trojan90

All Australian
May 7, 2012
melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
San Antonio Spurs
Thread for the volleyball punters (if interested) as we head into the knockout stage. I've had a ball watching this everyday. (I'm far from an expert)

MENS
Poland
- Current favs and world champs in serious form. Look the team to beat. Leon (#9) is a gun, absolutely dominates also watch Kurek (#6)
Brazil
- World #1 and reigning Olympic champs at home in Rio. Great players all over the court including Lucarelli (#18). Should medal and challenge Poland.
ROC - Playing very well with a win over Brazil already. Big Russian blockers led by Mikhaylovic (#17) who is a beast of a man. Big chance to medal.
France - Classy team coming up against Poland in the QF will need to step up now, don't like their chances. Patry (#4) stands out for them, good player.
Italy - Did well in weaker group, only loss to Poland. They are in a good position and could see them winning a medal. Must watch Juantorena (#5).
Argentina - Good all round team, but probably not up to the level of the best teams. Lima (#12) looks a skilful player. Maybe a chance for bronze.
Japan - Have done what they need to get through the group but will need to upset from here. Can Nishida (#11) and Ishikawa (#14) lift the home team.
Canada - Look to be making up the numbers. Coming up against the Russians next.

WOMENS
Brazil
- Undefeated and looking the team to beat so far, good players in every position. My favourite player Gabi (#10), great all round player, she's cute but savage.
Serbia - Current world champs, and looking dangerous. Seem very reliant on Boskovic (#18), a weapon who likes like she kills people in her spare time.
USA - Favourites and should be amongst the medals but look shaky to me. Look out if Thompson (#12) comes back from injury otherwise watch Drews (#11).
Italy - A fun bunch who look to be having a blast. Could do anything in the knockouts. Egonu (#18) is an absolute beast and could take them all the way.
ROC - Will need to do it the hard way coming from 4th in their group. Goncharova (#8) the standout player and looks like a supermodel. Need to lift.
Turkey - Could be dark horse for a medal, can upset anyone but seems unlikely. Impressive blocking team led by Gunes (#18).
Dom. R. - Probably not a chance, keep an eye on the Martinez sisters to cause an upset.
Korea - Making up the numbers.

Last edited:
Good preview.

Really love watching Nishida play for Japan.

Brazil just beat Poland in the recent World League, so expect to see them at it again here.
Great OP and great reply. How exciting and infectious is Nishida and the Japanese team? Fresh faced and loving the experience, they’ve been a joy to watch.

I’m super pumped for this, tomorrow is going to be awesome. Unfortunately I’ll miss the first two quarters but I’ll be glued to the next two, and I’m ready for a late one between France and Poland. Reckon Italy are a shot, they’ve got ridiculous height, smarts and they seem to gel pretty well out there.

How good is volleyball?! So underrated. Wish 7 gave it a run, reckon it’d pick up a much larger following if they did. The rallies, athleticism, energy and skill out there is crazy. Have enjoyed it so very much, and it’s only going to get better. Bring it on! Go Japan haha, no chance tomorrow but go you good thing!

Brazillian girls getting a nice hit out now before knockouts. Kenyan's defending like crazy, but having a ball.

Looking forward to the men tomorrow.
Tips for the medals.
Gold - Poland
Silver - Brazil
Bronze - ROC

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Missed Japan/Brazil, good to see Japan competitive. I’ll miss watching them. They’ve got some really young guys in their team so they should only get better. They probably need a little bit more height though, but as a nation they’re not the tallest going around.

Italy up 19-16 on Argentina. Hopefully Zaytsev’s injured hand isn’t going to hurt him and his team too much.

Missed Japan/Brazil, good to see Japan competitive. I’ll miss watching them. They’ve got some really young guys in their team so they should only get better. They probably need a little bit more height though, but as a nation they’re not the tallest going around.

Italy up 19-16 on Argentina. Hopefully Zaytsev’s injured hand isn’t going to hurt him and his team too much.
Just turned on. Looks like it may go to 5. Zaytsev if out is a HUGE loss. He is not on atm.

Missed the Argie/Italy game. Caught a bit early on and was a good contest. Looks like I missed a cracking game (will watch replay for sure!). Looking forward to Poland/France now.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back