Summer Tokyo 2021 Day 14 Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Jun 13, 2005
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood, Red Wings
Well day 13 had it all. A gold rush in the afternoon which put us tied with our greatest ever gold haul at an Olympics. However there was soon disappointment as the Boomers were overrun, the Matildas came up short and the Kookaburras lost in devastating fashion. The night ended on a positive note with Ashley Moloney taking a memorable bronze in the decathlon!

Day 14 highlights include:

* Rhythmic gymnastics (couldn’t help myself! Buuuut I actually don’t hate it)

And then this awesome preview by someone on the Twitter universe. Thanks mate! Personally I’m most excited for the beach volleyball final, the women’s hockey gold medal match, and all the athletic finals including the Miller-Uibo vs Felix vs McPherson showdown in the women’s 400m final, will be a gem. And the 3 Aussies in the women’s javelin final. Oh and the 4x100m relays, just so much action!

1628170030800.png

Why it’s an attachment rather than the image itself I have no idea, and I think I’m too tired to try and correct it. Click on it friends haha.

Last edited by a moderator:
Would of thought if the Kookaburras lost a gold medal match in a penalty shoot out , Matildas lose a close game in the bronze medal match and the Boomers lose quite convincingly it will be terrible day for Australia. We turned out to be probably one of the nest non-swimming days we had 2 golds, a sliver and 2 bronze. I think 19 Gold is the Max we can reach with 18 most likely.

Those relays are quite late, latest scheduled start times of these Olympics from memory. To do with the USA audience I’m guessing? Pushed it back as far as they could?

Ashley Moloney has confirmed his status as one of the world's best athletes by winning Australia's first decathlon Olympic or world championship medal in history. The 21 year old Queenslander needed a PB in the 1500m to hold off the challengers and win bronze. His 8,649 points broke his own Aussie record by 157 points and he was a mere 77 points away from taking silver. :clapping: Defending champion Damian Warner took the gold.

Last edited:
Kookas beaten for the gold medal by the dastardly penalty shoot out.

A brave effort by our Matildas just missing the bronze medal.

Boomers crash and burn once those huge NBA stars clicked into gear.

Our track cyclists perhaps lacking that killer instinct of our past stars.
August 5 shall forever be etched into our memory - Boomers, Matildas and Kookas succumbing (thought Kookas get silver and Boomers still a shot). And Lockdown 6.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Don't mind the rhythmic gymnastics myself. Those girls could definitely teach a few key forwards how to catch a ball. I don't bother about the scoring, because that's usually just about who pointed their toes the best while spinning around 3 times, somersaulting and catching the ball, one handed, behind their back!

Probably good. barely any of our wins have been the favourite, and barely any of our favourites have won.

Even if they don't win it's still an achievement. I don't think both were considered medal favourites before the Games.

A worst case scenario (every Aussie here on in loses) sees us on 17 gold, 6 silver and 20 bronze for a total of 43 medals. That's a raging success.

Probably good. barely any of our wins have been the favourite, and barely any of our favourites have won.
How many of our so called favourites have lost? Yesterday the USA basketball team were strong favourites to win, US Female Soccer team were favourites to win, Kookaburras were only very slight favourites to win. US Female Basketball team were strong favouties to beat the Opals.

The Hockeyroos were strong favourites to win their match against India, so I will give you that one.

Most of the swimming ones were favourites barring maybe 1

Remove this Banner Ad

Back