Woori Yallock
Wandin
Belgrave
Gembrook

Grand Finalists
Upwey v Belgrave

Premiers
Belgrave

Huge step up for the Magpies but i think they will surprise everyone and take out the big one, big call but i think there up to it

Round 1
Emerald v Belgrave - Belgrave
Gambrook v Woori Yallock - Woori
Warburton v Upwey - Upwey
Olinda v Monbulk - Olinda
Wandin v Mount Evelyn - Wandin

Final 5
Upwey
Woori Yallock
Wandin
Belgrave
Gembrook

Grand Finalists
Upwey v Belgrave

Premiers
Belgrave

Huge step up for the Magpies but i think they will surprise everyone and take out the big one, big call but i think there up to it

Torp, thats a big call
Emerald were unlucky last year early losing a few close ones, but really fell away as have most promoted sides
History would show that unless you have a huge crop of narcotics to fund the recruits then going straight to the top Is very difficult
Wandin are in there 3rd year of rebuilding and have talent to burn and haven't reached the top yet
1 div is not all about talent its about consistency and depth

It's been a while , Monnie and burnt out has the nbn not reached the retirement home?

Wandin upwey worri top 3

Gembrook belgrave emerald to fight out remaining two spots

Warby monbulk olinda making up numbers

Mt ev for relegation

Premiers - wandin have to be favs. Much to the contrary of what is consistently written, my view is Jugga is a very sound and educated coach. At 22 or 23 he was too young in my view but I think he is extremely focused now. With the recruits they have made over summer they must enter rd 1 as the fancied side. Any things possible in Div 1 YV however. We were talking of upwey relegation 7 rounds in last season and they finished 3rd.

Bring on the real stuff people. Can't wait

Torp, thats a big call
Emerald were unlucky last year early losing a few close ones, but really fell away as have most promoted sides
History would show that unless you have a huge crop of narcotics to fund the recruits then going straight to the top Is very difficult
Wandin are in there 3rd year of rebuilding and have talent to burn and haven't reached the top yet

It's been a while , Monnie and burnt out has the nbn not reached the retirement home?
whats nbn Bertron, please im sick of the abrieviations its getting me in strife. All this lol, lmfao, pms even ghj. I want the younger generation to use the correct terms. I yelled at a young lady the other day ( LOL Concrete Truck) just before she was hit by it. I got told off bye the people around who heard me scream it out. They said your a sick bastard, I tried explaining " im trying to fit in with the modern speech ( LOL ) i thought was LOOK OUT LOVE. See how confusing it is for us elderly folk

Torp, thats a big call

Anyway Bertron, I have a look on here time to time, but not finding much substance. Someone puts up an opinon or some news then 8 people shoot them down, lol ( i know what it means now ). I would like to see people put up thoughtful reasons, why such and such side will have a good yr, who have they recruited, what young kids have they got comming through, and how a club is looking to improve on last yr. GOOD ON THE TORP for his statement, i would love to see his reasons that would be informative as most people involved in 1st div wont know what Belgrave have on the park. A forum is for open discussion and a bit of fun, I hope it can get back to that

Anyway Bertron, I have a look on here time to time, but not finding much substance. Someone puts up an opinon or some news then 8 people shoot them down, lol ( i know what it means now ). I would like to see people put up thoughtful reasons, why such and such side will have a good yr, who have they recruited, what young kids have they got comming through, and how a club is looking to improve on last yr. GOOD ON THE TORP for his statement, i would love to see his reasons that would be informative as most people involved in 1st div wont know what Belgrave have on the park. A forum is for open discussion and a bit of fun, I hope it can get back to that

totally argee burnt
ive kept a low profile since putting the only tread on the forum that has never been commented on
i felt i had to serve some time
it would be nice if we could talk about footy and footy issues without the crap that goes with it
belgrave are going to be interesting, i think the test will be there avenue to goal, collins has kicked a lot of goals at a higher level, how will they go with more pressure in there delivery, better defensive setups etc
emerald looked pretty good on the weekend, taylor forward and there chf going well
my tip for the five this year is

upwey
woori
wandin
emerald
gembrook

in no particular order, the last couple years has shown that once you make it anything can happen

i remember this time last year we were talking wandin beating mt eve by 30 goals + and only got over the line by 1pt and then lost 5 out of 6

Round 1
Emerald v Belgrave - Belgrave. Think you're right, Torp.
Gembrook v Woori Yallock - Brookers. They might surprise.
Olinda v Monbulk - Monbulk

Final 5
Upwey
Belgrave
Wandin
Woori Yallock
Gembrook

Grand Finalists
Upwey v Belgrave

Premiers
Upwey

Round 1
Emerald v Belgrave - Belgrave. Think you're right, Torp.
Gembrook v Woori Yallock - Brookers. They might surprise.
Olinda v Monbulk - Monbulk

Final 5
Upwey
Belgrave
Wandin
Woori Yallock
Gembrook

Grand Finalists
Upwey v Belgrave

Premiers
Upwey

Round 1
Emerald v Belgrave - Emerald.
Gembrook v Woori - Woori

Final 5
Wandin
Upwey
Woori
Emerald
Belgrave

Grand Finalists
Upwey v Wandin

Premiers
Wandin

Reckon Wandin will be beatable during the first few rounds, but once they gel, I think they'll prove to be a formidable opponent. Upwey are Upwey, always at, or around, the benchmark. Great depth and some handy returns and recruits will see them near the pinnacle again. Woori have a few nice returns, but some significant outs. A similar list and natural progression will see them in the mix again. Emerald are my dark horse for the year. A very quick, highly skilled and very young list who's preseason results (on paper and this forum) seem strong. But here's where the problem lies IMO, very hot and cold. I honestly think in the dry they are a top 2 team, but in the wet I think they're bottom 2. How wet the winter is and how soon the rain comes will determine their success. Belgrave will be a force this year without a doubt. Sure, they have a few outs early in the season, but every team who gets promoted play their first few games like a grand final, so that should counteract the absences. They have had huge numbers on the track ALL preseason apparently and wish them all the best.

Round 1
Emerald v Belgrave - Belgrave.
Gembrook v Woori - Gembrook
Wandin v Mount Evelyn - Mounters with luck

Final 5
Upwey
Wandin
Belgrave
Gembrook
Emerald

Grand Finalists
Upwey v Belgrave I just love a good local stouch

Premiers
Upwey

Round 1
Emerald v Belgrave - Belgrave. T
Gembrook v Woori Yallock - Gembrook - Woori were woeful on Saturday

Final 5
Wandin
Upwey
Belgrave
Woori
Olinda

Grand Finalists
Wandin v Upwey

Premiers
Wandin

Round 1 Div 2
Junction v Powelly - Junction
Yarra Glen v Alex - Yarra Glen
Kinglake v Yea - Kinglake
Healesville v Seville - Healesville

Final 5
Healesville
Yarra Glen
Seville
Junction
Alex

Grand Finalists
Seville v Healesville

Premiers
Seville

Round 1
Emerald v Belgrave - Emerald
Gembrook v Woori Yallock - Woori

Final 5
Upwey
Wandin
Woori
Emerald
Olinda

Grand Finalists
Wandin v Woori

A few people seem to have Upwey / Wandin / Belgrave in their top 3 - and co-incidentally 3 of the smallest grounds. Random fact or is there substance in it?

A few people seem to have Upwey / Wandin / Belgrave in their top 3 - and co-incidentally 3 of the smallest grounds. Random fact or is there substance in it?
considering the big dance is on the largest ground, maybe its random fact or indeed that there is only 2 mid sized grounds in div 1 this year - gembrook and woori
monbulk suffered from winning home and away games with heavy teams and then got ran off there feet in the finals, it adds to the coaching headaches i guess, as you have to win home and away to get there
seville will be a good example this year, small ground but all of there opposition have big grounds
healesville
yarra glen
alex

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Discard Upwey. They are always in the top pick. Nothing to do with ground size!
The others are also hardly 'random fact' when you consider that we only have two grounds around average-size in Div 1, anyway. And they played off in the GF last year!
Across the whole league, 75% of grounds are below average size because they were carved out of the sides of mountains.

Discard Upwey. They are always in the top pick. Nothing to do with ground size!
The others are also hardly 'random fact' when you consider that we only have two grounds around average-size in Div 1, anyway. And they played off in the GF last year!
Across the whole league, 75% of grounds are below average size because they were carved out of the sides of mountains.
being a wise man monnie,whats your solution to the unders this year?
i few years back it went to one division then seperated back to two for finals
with at least 2 clubs not fielding in div 1, it offers a dilema of sticking to the fixure with 4 to 6 byes plus interleague breaks or will it go down the line of splitting clubs resources as its more important that the kids play every week?

The league introduced netball a few years back but this will take another 10 or so years for this experiment to work
It's brings up another idea with healthy women's comps throughout melb maybe we could go to mixed u 18?
There's nothing stopping it now, except interest, a plan and a process. Other than that...... ;)
But you are right, Bertron! When you think about it, the Netball, football and juniors do all fit together.

I have long argued the following:
1. We need lights.
Kids are like moths. Put on a light and they circle for hours.
Instead of kicking off the dew on Sat mornings, why not play twilight games after the seniors or on Friday nights? Puts the kids squarely in the spotlight with crowds actually watching. Makes logistics easier for support staff and might even bring mum or dad out to watch.
Kids will identify more readily with their club and are likely to continue as a result.
Same with mum or dad, I hope.
2. We need quality coaches and staff.
Most successful clubs have very good coaching and management long term. Maybe one follows the other. Good kids attract good coaches...good coaches attract good kids. And, more importantly, they stay when you manage them properly!
Kids do learn to respect good leadership and they scorn d***heads. They aren't stupid.
3. We need to promote kids activities region-wide.
Clubs will have to play their part 'on the ground', but we need to coordinate a culture across the region that values the kids input. Maybe, a major sponsorship package focussing on junior development. Then look for ways to expose it to public view.
Incentives such as rising stars, player of the round, etc, and 'ownership' by a profile sponsor is always important.
A Facebook Page for the U18's. Let 'em talk about their footy. Then, listen to them!
4. Valley Vibes is a wonderful fillip for the League. Use it!!
They will be videoing U18 games this year and that can only be a good thing. Let the kids watch! Use the videos for coaching purposes, publicity or just social night.
5. Junior Development programs at club level.
A coordinated program (VCFL guidelines??) within each club that focusses on recruiting, development, support systems, care and education of kids.
The AFL U18 comp has some splendid ideas that could easily translate to local clubs. We need to investigate those and implement them. Eastern Ranges is far more of an advantage than most people recognise. Instead of bitching about them 'taking our kids' (and THAT's what we actually want them to do!!), watch how they instruct and handle their kids. We can learn.
6. Let the community know what you are doing!!
Community involvement is vital. We do great things in clubs. Let them know what you are trying to do for the kids, and invite them along. Parents, businesses, other local groups to Information Nights, activities or other events. Seek their help and support. Crowds attract kids.
7. Know Your Enemy!
The competition for kids interest is not other sports. Let 'em play any club sport! It is the streets, drugs, cars, IT, gaming, etc. We can look at them as negative interests, but we have to know why kids end up attracted to them and move to counter it.
Make the game 'cool' to be involved in (lights, crowds, structure, resources, social activities and valuing of their input, etc.) so that we can negate the less desirable influences on their lives.

There's more, but then, you asked.... :rolleyes:

being a wise man monnie,whats your solution to the unders this year?
i few years back it went to one division then seperated back to two for finals
with at least 2 clubs not fielding in div 1, it offers a dilema of sticking to the fixure with 4 to 6 byes plus interleague breaks or will it go down the line of splitting clubs resources as its more important that the kids play every week?
new thread?

Final 5
Wandin- Started slow last year but got on a roll
Upwey- Always there abouts
Woori- May have lost a few but have picked up some good ones too. Danny Ryan is a great coach
Gembrook- Same as Woori. Cant loose 3 Grand Finals in a row then miss finals can you?
Belgrave- No Confidence. Lots of talk on here about them. Always is from teams coming up from Div 2

Grand Final
Woori V Upwey

Premiers
Upwey

Round 1
Emerald v Belgrave - Emerald
Gembrook v Woori Yallock - Woori

Final 5
Woori