Time to re-think the secondary markets

Remove this Banner Ad

They’re working on it…

That article is five years old and nothing has happened since. All too hard, never going to happen.

Let’s consider the cities with a big enough population (Launceston and bigger) worthy of investigation for hosting some games as a secondary market.

2188e141af4d31442bfe607bd9d0a620.jpg

According to AppleMaps, the driving distance and time (around midnight), between the following places is as follows:

32km - 0h 30m - Mount Barker - Adelaide
59km - 0h 45m - Pakenham - Melbourne
71km - 0h 58m - Central Coast - Sydney
72km - 0h 51m - Mandurah - Perth
73km - 1h 01m - Geelong - Melbourne
74km - 0h 50m - Gold Coast - Brisbane
84km - 1h 13m - Wollongong - Sydney
101km - 1h 17m - Sunshine Coast - Brisbane
114km - 1h 22m - Ballarat - Melbourne
127km - 1h 32m - Toowoomba - Brisbane
152km - 1h 46m - Bendigo - Melbourne
162km - 1h 59m - Newcastle - Sydney
201km - 2h 23m - Launceston - Hobart
258km - 3h 00m - Canberra - Sydney
319km - 3h 20m - Albury - Melbourne
337km - 3h 40m - Albury - Canberra
346 km - 3h 55m - Cairns - Townsville
1,331km - 14 38m - Townsville - Brisbane
1,586km - 18h 43m - Alice Springs - Adelaide
3,082km - 33h 0m - Darwin - Adelaide

To give some context to these distances I included Mount Barker (hosted a gather round game), Pakenham (still an eastern suburb of Melbourne), Mandurah (considered a southern suburb or Perth).

I also added in Geelong and Gold Coast (despite having teams as they are regional cities), and Launceston and Hobart (despite soon being host to the Tasmanian team).

I also added Alice Springs because of just how remote it is.

Out of the places that don’t have a team, I think:

1. Central Coast, Wollongong, Sunshine Coast, Ballarat and Toowoomba are probably close enough for residents to drive to a couple of games at the home grounds for the existing teams (in Melbourne, Brisbane and Sydney).

2. Bendigo, Newcastle, Canberra, Albury, Townsville, Cairns, Darwin and Alice Springs are a distance far enough away from the home ground of the existing teams, Melbourne teams should look to sell games there.

Ofcourse, it still comes down to which locations are willing to buy some games.

So when does Mackay get some AFL games…

Can’t see the Suns playing there anytime soon since they’ve got a good winning record in Darwin.

Dogs have got Ballarat, Giants have Canberra, Dees have Alice Springs. Saints aren’t interested in selling. At least for now.

If Tasmania comes in, the Roos and Hawks will be looking for something.

I doubt either of them would sell four games but I think it’d be cool for one to play 2 games in Cairns and the other play 2 in Mackay.

That’s 4 games a year for NQ, better than the zilch they’re currently getting.

Can’t see the Suns playing there anytime soon since they’ve got a good winning record in Darwin.

Dogs have got Ballarat, Giants have Canberra, Dees have Alice Springs. Saints aren’t interested in selling. At least for now.

If Tasmania comes in, the Roos and Hawks will be looking for something.

I doubt either of them would sell four games but I think it’d be cool for one to play 2 games in Cairns and the other play 2 in Mackay.

That’s 4 games a year for NQ, better than the zilch they’re currently getting.
I know they got the NT Academy, but the Suns should be playing those 2 games in the Queensland secondary markets. Maybe even brand themselves as Queensland Suns to contrast with the Brisbane Lions.

I know they got the NT Academy, but the Suns should be playing those 2 games in the Queensland secondary markets. Maybe even brand themselves as Queensland Suns to contrast with the Brisbane Lions.
It's not just the academy, their win-loss record in Darwin I'm estimating is pretty good. Why throw that away for North QLD? What do they get out of it? There's no guarantee they'll get the same amount of talent or on-field success. Performing on-field is more important for growing their base than where they play, as long as they're getting at least 9 games at Gold Coast. It should probably be 10 or all 11 but I guess they're not ready for that yet.

They're a GC team not a QLD team, parochial NQlders won't get behind a team just because they're called QLD. 2 games a year in NQ isn't much to get excited about for local support. If they bump it up to 3 then you have the same problem you'll have at GWS where 8 home games is not enough.

It's not just the academy, their win-loss record in Darwin I'm estimating is pretty good. Why throw that away for North QLD? What do they get out of it? There's no guarantee they'll get the same amount of talent or on-field success. Performing on-field is more important for growing their base than where they play, as long as they're getting at least 9 games at Gold Coast. It should probably be 10 or all 11 but I guess they're not ready for that yet.
My view is while Darwin might be good for the Suns, it would make more sense from a branding perspective to play those games in their home state. It's not necessarily what the club would prefer but I think would be best for the league overall.

My view is while Darwin might be good for the Suns, it would make more sense from a branding perspective to play those games in their home state. It's not necessarily what the club would prefer but I think would be best for the league overall.
I get that but shouldn't it be up to the Suns what they want? If they want to keep playing games in Darwin, then so be it. The only thing that'd stop them is a NT/Northern Australia team and that's extremely unlikely in the next 30 years, if ever. In any case, a Gold Coast team playing at least 9 games a year at Gold Coast should be called just that, Gold Coast.

It would make sense to rebrand as Queensland if they were playing 7 games a year at Gold Coast, the same way a team playing 7 games a year in Hobart should be called Tasmania, not Hobart, but the Suns are not going to play less than 9 games a year at the GC.

I get that but shouldn't it be up to the Suns what they want? If they want to keep playing games in Darwin, then so be it. The only thing that'd stop them is a NT/Northern Australia team and that's extremely unlikely in the next 30 years, if ever. In any case, a Gold Coast team playing at least 9 games a year at Gold Coast should be called just that, Gold Coast.

It would make sense to rebrand as Queensland if they were playing 7 games a year at Gold Coast, the same way a team playing 7 games a year in Hobart should be called Tasmania, not Hobart, but the Suns are not going to play less than 9 games a year at the GC.
Obviously if the Suns think Darwin is best for them and the AFL are happy to allow it that is what will happen. My preference would be for the team to remain called Gold Coast, but play 2 home games per year in North Queensland, e.g. Cairns/Townsville.

Obviously if the Suns think Darwin is best for them and the AFL are happy to allow it that is what will happen. My preference would be for the team to remain called Gold Coast, but play 2 home games per year in North Queensland, e.g. Cairns/Townsville.
It would be nice to see that, but I think they'll want to stick with Darwin and someone else will fill the void if the AFL is keen on a NQ presence.

Maybe Hawks playing 2 in Cairns and Roos 2 in Mackay. If they can get the Saints playing 1 in Townsville (they're more RL focused) that's 5 NQ games a year. Not bad. Can't see the Saints selling a game, though, but the Roos and Hawks might consider NQ for selling games if Tasmania comes in.

As of now, NQ aren't getting any games. I know people say the Suns should cover NQ and the Roos should get the 2 Darwin games, but like I said, that's not happening if the Suns don't want to leave Darwin.

It would be nice to see that, but I think they'll want to stick with Darwin and someone else will fill the void if the AFL is keen on a NQ presence.

Maybe Hawks playing 2 in Cairns and Roos 2 in Mackay. If they can get the Saints playing 1 in Townsville (they're more RL focused) that's 5 NQ games a year. Not bad. Can't see the Saints selling a game, though, but the Roos and Hawks might consider NQ for selling games if Tasmania comes in.

As of now, NQ aren't getting any games. I know people say the Suns should cover NQ and the Roos should get the 2 Darwin games, but like I said, that's not happening if the Suns don't want to leave Darwin.
Townsville might be rugby league territory but it has double the population of Mackay so still think it would be preferred. Mackay definitely isn't big enough of a market to host 2 regular season games.

And yet there are people who criticise the GWS Giants for playing 3 games in Canberra, even if that’s what the club, ACT Government and the AFL want :)
Yeah I mean I’d love Canberra to have their own team, but Canberra has to fight for it because I don’t think the AFL gives a s**t (they didn’t about Tassie!) If they don’t, who’s to say GWS won’t extend that contract.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah I mean I’d love Canberra to have their own team, but Canberra has to fight for it because I don’t think the AFL gives a s**t (they didn’t about Tassie!) If they don’t, who’s to say GWS won’t extend that contract.
Fair point as our ACT government has not lobbied for a Canberra afl team, like the Tasmanian and NT government. The new GWS deal with our ACT government currently goes till 2032.

Most important thing is one team per market, and an appropriate team in each market. No point having a Vic team playing in Queensland, when a Queensland team is looking to sell games.

Gold Coast
  • Cairns x 1, Townsville x 1 + QLD Academy
North
  • Darwin x 2 + NT Academy
GWS
  • Canberra x 3 + ACT Academy
Dogs
  • Ballarat x 2
Melbourne
  • Newcastle x 1
St Kilda
  • Wellington x 1, Auckland x 1 (AFL should push for stadium to be built) + NZ Academy

Looks like logic

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Most important thing is one team per market, and an appropriate team in each market. No point having a Vic team playing in Queensland, when a Queensland team is looking to sell games.

Gold Coast
  • Cairns x 1, Townsville x 1 + QLD Academy
North
  • Darwin x 2 + NT Academy
GWS
  • Canberra x 3 + ACT Academy
Dogs
  • Ballarat x 2
Melbourne
  • Newcastle x 1
St Kilda
  • Wellington x 1, Auckland x 1 (AFL should push for stadium to be built) + NZ Academy

Looks like logic

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Looks very good but considering how the Roos are looking at Bendigo and are keen to never play out of Vic again, I'd go:

Suns: 1 Cairns + QLD academy (they need to have a stronger GC presence so only 1 SM game)

Hawks: 3 Darwin (no NT academy, they don't need it)

Giants: 1 Newcastle + NT academy (this is after Canberra, give them the NT academy after they lose the Riverina, they probably won't be producing that much local talent yet)

Dogs: 2 Ballarat

Roos: 2 Bendigo

Dees: 1 Alice Springs (they want to play there for social reasons)

Saints: 2 Auckland (agree re: stadium) + NZ academy

You could argue the Wellington game for the Saints instead of 2 out of Auckland instead, but Auckland would be a far more important target if you're seriously looking at NZ. Could add a Townsville game to the Suns and Mackay in the pre-season and a second game to Newcastle for GWS, but other than that, that's how I'd do it.

Personally, I'd stick to one location per team, as written above.

Looks very good but considering how the Roos are looking at Bendigo and are keen to never play out of Vic again, I'd go:

Suns: 1 Cairns + QLD academy (they need to have a stronger GC presence so only 1 SM game)

Hawks: 3 Darwin (no NT academy, they don't need it)

Giants: 1 Newcastle + NT academy (this is after Canberra, give them the NT academy after they lose the Riverina, they probably won't be producing that much local talent yet)

Dogs: 2 Ballarat

Roos: 2 Bendigo

Dees: 1 Alice Springs (they want to play there for social reasons)

Saints: 2 Auckland (agree re: stadium) + NZ academy

You could argue the Wellington game for the Saints instead of 2 out of Auckland instead, but Auckland would be a far more important target if you're seriously looking at NZ. Could add a Townsville game to the Suns and Mackay in the pre-season and a second game to Newcastle for GWS, but other than that, that's how I'd do it.

Personally, I'd stick to one location per team, as written above.
Spot on. Agree with everything here. Particularly like the transition plan for the Giants when they leave Canberra.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back