Injury Thurlow - DON'T PANIC - RECOVERY NEWS :)

Remove this Banner Ad

It's not that ridiculous. He probably has the closest physical attributes to what we need.

Sure does. Just get that shoulder right, don't come back in seniors too early (looking at you MC), and there could very well be a spot for him in 2nd half of the year to try & cement his spot in Best 22 (if Ruggles, Bews, even Cunico or Bates don't work out before Billie is fit). If he does that it will be great to see because it means the MC have to find someone else for Thurlow to replace & I'd say it would be Enright who'll retire end of this year :thumbsu:

2017 Back line:
Smedts - Henderson - Kolodjashnij
Thurlow - Taylor - Mackie (if he hasn't slowed down by 2017, and keeps Guth in the guts aha)

One thing that works in his favour is that he has more time to make sure the knee is as good as it can be & stronger because by the time Thurlow is fit it will be early off-season so he gets probably half or more of the pre-season again in the gym & training drills.

Menzel did his first knee September 2011 then returned in VFL halfway through 2012 & did the other. Thurlow has a lot more time to have confidence in his knee over the pre-season again :)

I can't believe some are doubting Thurls ability to come back... tough as nails.. isn't he the same guy in Feb last year many on here said wouldn't get over the kidney laceration and impact at all in in 2016???... didn't he play AFL seniors about 8 weeks later in round 2 or 3 and play all year? ..His poise in defense will be sorely missed but rest assured he will play round 1 2017... to mention him and Menz in the same breath is dramatizing, why not compare Jackson to the other many players who have come back successfully after 12 months.?. Think positive people and he will be a star for the Cats defense in 2017!

I can't believe some are doubting Thurls ability to come back... tough as nails.. isn't he the same guy in Feb last year many on here said wouldn't get over the kidney laceration and impact at all in in 2016???... didn't he play AFL seniors about 8 weeks later in round 2 or 3 and play all year? ..His poise in defense will be sorely missed but rest assured he will play round 1 2017... to mention him and Menz in the same breath is dramatizing, why not compare Jackson to the other many players who have come back successfully after 12 months.?. Think positive people and he will be a star for the Cats defense in 2017!

That's exactly what I was getting at aha :thumbsu:

Who better to have him next to then Dan Menzal aswell. Will serve as an excellent mentor, role model and supporter, Thurls will be back no doubt in my mind.

I reckon GFC were looking to make Thurlow an automatic inclusion (as long as he kept up his form) and get him to 100 games ASAP. He does look like he will make it to me.

I think once the Seklwood boys are back it will allow Guthrie to go back as basically a full time back 6 player. At this stage he will be a better backman than Thurlow as he has more senior games and more pre-seasons than Jackson.

So as gutted as I was to see Jackson go down I think we can cover him (not that I wanted to).

It's a real concern you not only noticed all that but you also committed it to memory.:rolleyes:
Serious? Most LT Cat Fans would have no trouble naming this trio of mega quads.
These were renowned for their massive quads.
Your point?

He will come back of course.
Still young . I am worried however,about how such an injury affects kicking prowess
Hunt seemed to lose a bit of penetration and confidence after his injury, and one of Thurlow's main attributes is his kicking.

There is no positive in this at all.

Just 100% ******* sucks.

Period.

I hope that in recovery Thurl's gets the benefit of the Menz experience to get the mind right and approach it from the same place - the medical staff take the long term approach and come back slowly. And if that means 15 months not 12 - then so be it.

His leap as a defender that is 190cm odd is fantastic and must be maintained as part of his armory of defender assets. His kicking is also stout to say the least.

As for the discussion on kickins - I think part of the long kick dilemma we have had is the tallest target ( rucks) has been dead useless.

Smith and Stanley in 2 preseason games have probably combined for the same contests mark totals that Daws and Hmac put up in 3 years… let alone last year.

Having a 200 and 206 cm tall marking target that actually can take contested marks will help the kick ins - massively. Wont solve the short chip kicks of course but should make the long kick to a target a better option at least than it has been.

Go Catters

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Having a 200 and 206 cm tall marking target that actually can take contested marks will help the kick ins - massively. Wont solve the short chip kicks of course but should make the long kick to a target a better option at least than it has been.

Agree -and a couple of awesome chasedowns from the 'trees' on the weekend too :thumbsu:

Serious? Most LT Cat Fans would have no trouble naming this trio of mega quads.
These were renowned for their massive quads.
Your point?
You're one serious dude dubsy. Thought humour was clearly inherent in the post. Not sure what LT means unless it's shorthand long time. Perhaps lost track.:):D

Hope the lad recovers well from the surgery and fulfills his potential.

You're one serious dude dubsy. Thought humour was clearly inherent in the post. Not sure what LT means unless it's shorthand long time. Perhaps lost track.:):D

Hope the lad recovers well from the surgery and fulfills his potential.
Long term.
Sorry I'm not used to your humour.
You should post more often.
Or maybe not.

No, I am kidding.

As for the discussion on kickins - I think part of the long kick dilemma we have had is the tallest target ( rucks) has been dead useless.

Smith and Stanley in 2 preseason games have probably combined for the same contests mark totals that Daws and Hmac put up in 3 years… let alone last year.

Go Catters

This is an excellent point. I remember going into a game back in 2000, perhaps, where we seemed oddly tall. It was at the Telstra done under the roof so I thought it was genius, we'd never let the ball hit the ground.

Except we couldn't mark for s**t. Loyd could, but not Menschy or whoever else it was that day.

We have named too tall a teams so far. Contested marks are not a given even with with the best marks in the game. Hopefully there is a plan B that involves fewer big men, more consistent ground level crumbing, and faster closing press.

On Thurlow, having he and Guthrie from the backline for mine is the best running half back pair we can have. Genuine pace and both good kicks. The half back line becomes a weapon. Both I think defend pretty well too.

We don't have a like for like replacement, in fact he is our like for like Enright. I don't know this year's draftees well enough to know if one of those could step into the role. They all looked long term prospects and for me Menegola has to be in the guts to get the best out of him.

My back six in 2018:
Small defender (Bews, Cowan, Bates, whoever), Blicav, J Kolo,
Thurlow, Henderson, Guthrie

Gardiner/Delaney - if either of them come on then maybe Blicav stays loose but I still believe that he'd be a perfect big defender.
Harry Taylor - I've given him a spell a year early.
Hayball/Cunico - look like half back flankers if either show promise maybe they free up Guthrie.

ACL's to promising young kids are the worst part about footy

Colbert, Prismall, Menzel, Vardy, Thurlow, just at the top of your head, how many quality youngsters from Collingwood can you recall doing their ACL?
I would imagine they have had quite a few in recent years as they tend to be one of the teams featuring heavily in the injury updates

ACL.
Until proven otherwise.
Most seem to stay down, not try and get up at all, grasping their twisted and/or painful knee.
Not dissimilar to Menzel's first.
Really rate 40, as you know from our end season player reviews.

Vdubs - as someone who appears to be fairly intimately involved with sports injuries, id like to ask your opinion on something ive always wondered, if I can express it properly and there is actually an answer that can be given... i kind of think the answer might be some variation on 'it depends'.

when a player suffers an ACL injury requiring a reconstruction, from a fairly innocuous movement, does that indicate that the ACL was 'at breaking point' and had that innocuous movement not occurred, it was just a matter of time until another such movement did it?

or

had that particular movement not occurred, there is every chance that the person could play out their career without any ACL worries?

its a general query, and I figured this was a good place to put it, and you were a good poster to address it... I have always wondered about this, eg had that one moment in the preseason not happened for thurlow when it did, was it still just 'a matter of time until'?

Vdubs - as someone who appears to be fairly intimately involved with sports injuries, id like to ask your opinion on something ive always wondered, if I can express it properly and there is actually an answer that can be given... i kind of think the answer might be some variation on 'it depends'.

when a player suffers an ACL injury requiring a reconstruction, from a fairly innocuous movement, does that indicate that the ACL was 'at breaking point' and had that innocuous movement not occurred, it was just a matter of time until another such movement did it?

or

had that particular movement not occurred, there is every chance that the person could play out their career without any ACL worries?

its a general query, and I figured this was a good place to put it, and you were a good poster to address it... I have always wondered about this, eg had that one moment in the preseason not happened for thurlow when it did, was it still just 'a matter of time until'?
Great question. We often ponder that issue during post injury.
Many of the injuries looked so trivial, you think, how? why? We regard these as stress injuries of the ACL, and it was going to happen at some point maybe.
Other mechanisms are much more dramatic and twisting/cutting.
So no single reply, but on a case by case determination that is what we have to go on.
It is impossible to answer your OR alternative.

Great question. We often ponder that issue during post injury.
Many of the injuries looked so trivial, you think, how? why? We regard these as stress injuries of the ACL, and it was going to happen at some point maybe.
Other mechanisms are much more dramatic and twisting/cutting.
So no single reply, but on a case by case determination that is what we have to go on.
It is impossible to answer your OR alternative.

thanks for taking the time!

thanks for taking the time!
Any time, B44
Btw, that thread you and I started a while back,(MUSIC THREAD) when we were discussing Beatles and music- it has grown phenomenally, yet you rarely venture there??
252 Pages
6300 Posts

Any time, B44
Btw, that thread you and I started a while back,(MUSIC THREAD) when we were discussing Beatles and music- it has grown phenomenally, yet you rarely venture there??
252 Pages
6300 Posts

i tend to visit the main AFL page and the main geelong page, and thats about it! rarely pay much attention to the sub-forums... i might have a scan now!

i have a very poor record with starting threads, so good to see one that i 'technically' created racking up the stats...

i tend to visit the main AFL page and the main geelong page, and thats about it! rarely pay much attention to the sub-forums... i might have a scan now!

i have a very poor record with starting threads, so good to see one that i 'technically' created racking up the stats...
Had to coerce you to do so, otherwise we may have been "moderated".
Should come home Barmy- it's an awesome and inspiring and relaxing thread, full of music and memories. and could do with your input.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back