Lsta062

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 15, 2014
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Chelsea, LA Lakers, Western United
Here's a sad and sobering stat:

If you were to gather all Richmond Round 10 win-loss + percentage records from our very first season in 1908 until now, our Round 10 record in 2024 would rank last. Yep, in 116 years, we just witnessed our worst start to the season ever by seeing us go 1-9 with a percentage of 59.6%.

Awful seasons like the 2004, 2007, 2009, and 2010 seasons had better starts. We even had a better start in the 80s and 90s when we were a rabble.

How does that make you feel? For me, it kinda makes me sad given that this came 3 years after one of our most dominant eras ever. I'll be honest and say that I was nowhere near prepared to see us slump to our worst start in history only 4 years after our Premiership. I obviously understand why given our injury list, but still. Does this stat mean much? Not really. It is only 10 rounds into a 24-round season, but it's still a bit sad.

Having said that, if someone asked me whether I would go through our worst season ever just to see Richmond win a Premiership, then I would have said yes in a heartbeat. We've won three of them. Yes, many people around my age and younger have only lived through 6 seasons in which Richmond won a final, but those 4 seasons from 2017-2020 were top-tier. I hope we're back there soon.

For now though, we gotta get through this trough. I hope Yze survives this period, but I know that the industry can be rough on new coaches that start like this. Surely he gets at least a couple of seasons that aren't injury-marred.

If you were to gather all Richmond Round 10 win-loss + percentage records from our very first season in 1908 until now, our Round 10 record in 2024 would rank last. Yep, in 116 years, we just witnessed our worst start to the season ever by seeing us go 1-9 with a percentage of 59.6%.

Awful seasons like the 2004, 2007, 2009, and 2010 seasons had better starts. We even had a better start in the 80s and 90s when we were a rabble.

How does that make you feel? For me, it kinda makes me sad given that this came 3 years after one of our most dominant eras ever. I'll be honest and say that I was nowhere near prepared to see us slump to our worst start in history only 4 years after our Premiership. I obviously understand why given our injury list, but still. Does this stat mean much? Not really. It is only 10 rounds into a 24-round season, but it's still a bit sad.

Having said that, if someone asked me whether I would go through our worst season ever just to see Richmond win a Premiership, then I would have said yes in a heartbeat. We've won three of them. Yes, many people around my age and younger have only lived through 6 seasons in which Richmond won a final, but those 4 seasons from 2017-2020 were top-tier. I hope we're back there soon.

For now though, we gotta get through this trough. I hope Yze survives this period, but I know that the industry can be rough on new coaches that start like this. Surely he gets at least a couple of seasons that aren't injury-marred.
im concerned for the coach at this point,and absolutely this is sad to learn,didnt see any of last nights game as i had a long day n slept thru it all,thank god for that,shocked to the core to see that result and too be honest it goes without saying somethin needs to change and pretty quickly if theres no vast improvement could Yze could be gone by mid june ?
Tigers do love a crisis

If that's our worst start I"'m worried about the finish.

I said it was the worst Richmond side ever last week that I’ve seen in 51 years. We struggle do anything right now.
Yze started his career all wrong by not setting standards and being bum chums with the senior players. Now the seasons shot and the rot has set in he can’t pass his message to them to lift their standards and the results are worsening. He will hopefully just have to ride the season out and hope most of them retire or leave, but I think his bar is set low and he will continue patting guys on the back for mediocre performances.

Failure to develop players was always going to mean the cliff was near , Dimma post flags went into self preservation mode.
This is why people complained about Hardwick not giving youth opportunity I guess. Either that, or perhaps Hardwick knew the quality (or lack thereof) among our youth and didn’t want to play them.

Regardless, it’s looking dire. We can’t even see what Yze has to offer because he was served with rubbish by the previous off-field leaders. Don’t get me started on one of the worst strength & conditioning team I’ve ever seen who don’t seem to know how to manage injuries effectively. Those soft tissue injuries that our players seem to suffer from is concerning.

It’s just a disaster for him right now and I can’t really blame him for much of this.

This is why people complained about Hardwick not giving youth opportunity I guess. Either that, or perhaps Hardwick knew the quality (or lack thereof) among our youth and didn’t want to play them.

Regardless, it’s looking dire. We can’t even see what Yze has to offer because he was served with rubbish by the previous off-field leaders. Don’t get me started on one of the worst strength & conditioning team I’ve ever seen who don’t seem to know how to manage injuries effectively. Those soft tissue injuries that our players seem to suffer from is concerning.

It’s just a disaster for him right now and I can’t really blame him for much of this.
Poor fitness contributes to soft tissue injuries

Yze has performed as best as he could considering the mess he inherited.
  • Players not developed by the Hardwick or McQualter
  • Insufficient investment in the medical department
  • Insufficient investment in the coaching department
Coaches are only as good as the players available, right now we have players who should be playing all season in the magoos learning their craft.

Our injury list has not availed our players or Yze that luxury.

the board are still patting themselves on the back and championing other things now, weve moved on from football

the board are still patting themselves on the back and championing other things now, weve moved on from football
Among the 1000’s of amusing and zany Groupie_ posts, you can still find some high quality truth bombs - 100% agree with this.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Our performance over the last 2 weeks in particular has been diabolically bad, but I am not one bit concerned.

This has come as a function of a number of things, pretty much all of which will be partially or fully corrected within 15-20 games from now.

1. The list composition....The club has by accident or design ended up in a position with no viable relief inside midfielders. We could have tried to recruit the Luke Dunstans and Jaryd Lyons and Will Brodies of the world and carried them on our list for times like this, and they would be a lot more competitive right now than Dow-McAuliffe-Prestia-Bolton-whoever. But where does it ultimately get you? Given we are likely to recruit some quality midfielders this off season, this issue should be partially resolved to commence next season.

2. Obviously, injuries. Out of our best 22 we probably have Lynch, Taranto, Hopper, Graham, Baker, Grimes, Gibcus, Maurice Jnr, Ross and one of Campbell or Clarke missing. Then of the players who could best replace them, Banks, the other one of Campbell/Clarke, Trezise. That is out of the team. Within the team we have Martin, who is at least equal to our best player anywhere near his current best, clearly hampered. And likely some others playing under duress. Barring an indefinite run of further calamities, all of this should be resolved by this point next season.

3. Chronic unfamiliarity between the players on the field in their respective roles. Last night only Nankervis, Bolton, Vlastuin, Broad, D Rioli, Short, have been largely unbroken medium to long term in their roles within the team and not apparently carrying restrictive injuries. About 6 players. At best you could count another couple like Pickett and McIntosh. But it is now way less than half the team. All whilst learning a new game plan under a new coaching structure. Up against Brisbane who probably had around 14 players in their roles medium to long term and under the same coaching structure for years. Look in particular at the structurally key positions. Young, Miller, Lefau, Balta, McAuliffe, Dow, Prestia(poorly prepared) and only Nankervis fully established in his role. This issue should obviously be vastly improved by this time next year.

4. Experimentation. There is clearly an element of the coaches seeing what players can do in certain roles going on. Lefau second ruck rather than Balta for eg. Bolton largely being withheld from the midfield in recent weeks. Clearly 20 more games down the track several questions will be answered and not requiring further experimentation.

5. Being forced to play all but the last handful of players on our list, Colina, Hayes-Brown, Fawcett, Smith(restricted workload this year apparently.) But we had on the field last night probably most of the players notionally ranked 30-39 on our list. Including a debutante, an 18yo inside mid, some players who appeared ready for the chopping block at season's end, some guys in Young and Lefau who are still learning to play football let alone at AFL level. This is a rare scenario that should not happen indefinitely, there is every chance this time next year no player ranked blow 28 or so on our list will be taking the field in our AFL team.

6. The lure of cream draft picks. We don't know how big a part this is playing. But we are seeing someone like Baker miss 2 games with a corky, Grimes being held out of the team, Dusty playing the game in a wholly unfamiliar way. Obviously the MSD is fast approaching and the club may have a strong preference for a particular player. And of course a cellar finish this season elevates our rd 1, 2 & 3 picks for 2024 significantly, and also probably increases the value of our future picks for trading purposes.

So to me this is not like a repeatedly failing list where you can't see where it is going. It is very much in the nature of a perfect storm that should pass quickly enough. Exactly how good we will be after that storm has passed cannot be known, but I am confident we will be at the very least competitive.

We seemed more excited at Tasmania’s introduction than this season.

Well, at least one person at the club is
That person was so excited when it was announced let’s all get behind our opposition

Our performance over the last 2 weeks in particular has been diabolically bad, but I am not one bit concerned.

This has come as a function of a number of things, pretty much all of which will be partially or fully corrected within 15-20 games from now.

1. The list composition....The club has by accident or design ended up in a position with no viable relief inside midfielders. We could have tried to recruit the Luke Dunstans and Jaryd Lyons and Will Brodies of the world and carried them on our list for times like this, and they would be a lot more competitive right now than Dow-McAuliffe-Prestia-Bolton-whoever. But where does it ultimately get you? Given we are likely to recruit some quality midfielders this off season, this issue should be partially resolved to commence next season.

2. Obviously, injuries. Out of our best 22 we probably have Lynch, Taranto, Hopper, Graham, Baker, Grimes, Gibcus, Maurice Jnr, Ross and one of Campbell or Clarke missing. Then of the players who could best replace them, Banks, the other one of Campbell/Clarke, Trezise. That is out of the team. Within the team we have Martin, who is at least equal to our best player anywhere near his current best, clearly hampered. And likely some others playing under duress. Barring an indefinite run of further calamities, all of this should be resolved by this point next season.

3. Chronic unfamiliarity between the players on the field in their respective roles. Last night only Nankervis, Bolton, Vlastuin, Broad, D Rioli, Short, have been largely unbroken medium to long term in their roles within the team and not apparently carrying restrictive injuries. About 6 players. At best you could count another couple like Pickett and McIntosh. But it is now way less than half the team. All whilst learning a new game plan under a new coaching structure. Up against Brisbane who probably had around 14 players in their roles medium to long term and under the same coaching structure for years. Look in particular at the structurally key positions. Young, Miller, Lefau, Balta, McAuliffe, Dow, Prestia(poorly prepared) and only Nankervis fully established in his role. This issue should obviously be vastly improved by this time next year.

4. Experimentation. There is clearly an element of the coaches seeing what players can do in certain roles going on. Lefau second ruck rather than Balta for eg. Bolton largely being withheld from the midfield in recent weeks. Clearly 20 more games down the track several questions will be answered and not requiring further experimentation.

5. Being forced to play all but the last handful of players on our list, Colina, Hayes-Brown, Fawcett, Smith(restricted workload this year apparently.) But we had on the field last night probably most of the players notionally ranked 30-39 on our list. Including a debutante, an 18yo inside mid, some players who appeared ready for the chopping block at season's end, some guys in Young and Lefau who are still learning to play football let alone at AFL level. This is a rare scenario that should not happen indefinitely, there is every chance this time next year no layer ranked blow 28 or so on our list will be taking the field in our AFL team.

6. The lure of cream draft picks. We don't know how big a part this is playing. But we are seeing someone like Baker miss 2 games with a corky, Grimes being held out of the team, Dusty laying the game in a wholly unfamiliar way. Obviously the MSD is fast approaching and the club may have a strong preference for a particular player. And of course a cellar finish this season elevates our rd 1, 2 & 3 picks for 2024 significantly, and also probably increases the value of our future picks for trading purposes.

So to me this is not like a repeatedly failing list where you can't see where it is going. It is very much in the nature of a perfect storm that should pass quickly enough. Exactly how good we will be after that storm has passed cannot be known, but I am very confident we will be at the very least competitive.
Nice write up , but what exactly are our picks and where are these magical quality midfielders coming from ? From inside the top 30 or later ? We have a lot iof draft capital but sadly not many at the pointy end which will be gutted by Norfs priority pick and their normal picks , before the CFL starts handing out compensation to other clubs for FA trades

Nice write up , but what exactly are our picks and where are these magical quality midfielders coming from ? From inside the top 30 or later ? We have a lot iof draft capital but sadly not many at the pointy end which will be gutted by Norfs priority pick and their normal picks , before the CFL starts handing out compensation to other clubs for FA trades

You would think we are looking at the probability of having 3 strong picks now, by the time we trade all our draft points for rd 1 picks from teams who require points. Those picks could now be as high as 2, 10, 12 or something along those lines. You should be getting 1-2 midfielders from those picks who can offer at least something straight away. And who knows what free agents or trades could happen.

5. Being forced to play all but the last handful of players on our list, Colina, Hayes-Brown, Fawcett, Smith(restricted workload this year apparently.) But we had on the field last night probably most of the players notionally ranked 30-39 on our list. Including a debutante, an 18yo inside mid, some players who appeared ready for the chopping block at season's end, some guys in Young and Lefau who are still learning to play football let alone at AFL level. This is a rare scenario that should not happen indefinitely, there is every chance this time next year no player ranked blow 28 or so on our list will be taking the field in our AFL team.

6. The lure of cream draft picks. We don't know how big a part this is playing. But we are seeing someone like Baker miss 2 games with a corky, Grimes being held out of the team, Dusty playing the game in a wholly unfamiliar way. Obviously the MSD is fast approaching and the club may have a strong preference for a particular player. And of course a cellar finish this season elevates our rd 1, 2 & 3 picks for 2024 significantly, and also probably increases the value of our future picks for trading purposes.

So to me this is not like a repeatedly failing list where you can't see where it is going. It is very much in the nature of a perfect storm that should pass quickly enough. Exactly how good we will be after that storm has passed cannot be known, but I am confident we will be at the very least competitive.
A pretty balanced post providing us with a good overall summation as to why we are where we are.

I know that we have a lot of Matt Clarke fans, but I’m glad to see someone else in the role. Would prefer a recruiter from Sydney or GWS, but Toce will do for now.

I think we’ll see a vastly different recruiting strategy in the off-season. KPFs are obviously a must, but we should be taking more contested midfielders towards the top end. The injuries we had this season shone a spotlight on what areas we have poor depth in.

Strength & conditioning is first on the agenda

You would think we are looking at the probability of having 3 strong picks now, by the time we trade all our draft points for rd 1 picks from teams who require points. Those picks could now be as high as 2, 10, 12 or something along those lines. You should be getting 1-2 midfielders from those picks who can offer at least something straight away. And who knows what free agents or trades could happen.
how do other clubs that finish bottom 4 get 3-4 picks in top 10 yet we are gonna get one

this is bullshite

Probability is not certainty

A pretty balanced post providing us with a good overall summation as to why we are where we are.

I know that we have a lot of Matt Clarke fans, but I’m glad to see someone else in the role. Would prefer a recruiter from Sydney or GWS, but Toce will do for now.

I think we’ll see a vastly different recruiting strategy in the off-season. KPFs are obviously a must, but we should be taking more contested midfielders towards the top end. The injuries we had this season shone a spotlight on what areas we have poor depth in.

Strength & conditioning is first on the agenda

Remember also we have been cap tied over recent years. That is about to change. So if a Jessie Hogan or Peter Wright comes onto the market you could get a viable key forward that way for little draft capital. Players like Cerra we could make better offers for. Dusty and Prestia contracts end this season. Lynch next season. Bolton would be our only long term contract over $800k now. So this is a massive change coming in our ability to suddenly insert ready made players, I guess along the lines of what we did when we recruited early to mid 20's Caddy, Nankervis, Prestia in one off season.

Probability is not certainty

You can work it all out by projecting where all our picks end up and what teams will be looking to trade for points, and probably inserting a further rd 2 pick for a Jack Graham and possibly a further rd 1 pick for Baker. It wouldn't even be out of the question we end up with 3 top 10 picks this year when all is said and done.

Our most recent top 10 picks actually taken to the draft produced Vlastuin and Gibcus, and we will have at least one much stronger pick this year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back