Things that sh*t me the seventeenth

Remove this Banner Ad

It's hard to deny social media's effect on younger people but levels of mental illness among teens is slightly deceptive in that it's only quite recently that people have really recognised it as an issue among young people so we don't really have much data about adolescent mental health prior to the era of the internet to compare it to.
That's true as well. Also heaps of self diagnosis that you'll see amongst that age range, with GPs all too happy to prescribe medication when depression or anxiety may be purely circumstantial (i.e. a bad breakup, a rough time at school, loss of family member etc).

Without looking at any qualitative or quantitative data, I'm sure teenage anorexia has gone way up. The unfortunate need to compare to your peers on what is essentially a highlight reel (Instagram) that doesn't go close to showing any of the lowlights, gives people a false image of what they should be doing.

That's not to mention the dangers of cyberbullying, which was certainly prevalent when I was in school especially because social media was still in its relative infancy, and thus hard to regulate at all. And that's before I even touch on Snapchat, which was probably the worst app to give a bunch of teenagers and let them run wild with.

I'm definitely welcoming any change to the current system.

That's true as well. Also heaps of self diagnosis that you'll see amongst that age range, with GPs all too happy to prescribe medication when depression or anxiety may be purely circumstantial (i.e. a bad breakup, a rough time at school, loss of family member etc).

Without looking at any qualitative or quantitative data, I'm sure teenage anorexia has gone way up. The unfortunate need to compare to your peers on what is essentially a highlight reel (Instagram) that doesn't go close to showing any of the lowlights, gives people a false image of what they should be doing.

That's not to mention the dangers of cyberbullying, which was certainly prevalent when I was in school especially because social media was still in its relative infancy, and thus hard to regulate at all. And that's before I even touch on Snapchat, which was probably the worst app to give a bunch of teenagers and let them run wild with.

Body image issues for boys would definitely be much more of an issue in the internet era, not only would you be bombarded with far more images of alleged perfection. Gym culture and all that comes with that is also something that never existed when I was at school and certainly wouldn't be helping things.

Body image issues for boys would definitely be much more of an issue in the internet era, not only would you be bombarded with far more images of alleged perfection. Gym culture and all that comes with that is also something that never existed when I was at school and certainly wouldn't be helping things.
I do think the male side of things often gets hugely overshadowed, but the female equivalent is to another level. Seriously, the stories I've heard from my female friends where disordered eating was so normalised were crazy.

I honestly disagree - social media is probably one of the worst thing to happen to children recently. Probably the major vehicle behind the mental health crisis teens are experiencing right now. I'm not too far out of my teenage years and I'd say a decent portion of my peers would agree that it's a huge issue.
its not just going to be kids that are impacted by age verification

its everyone

and if you think social media is the root of the problem and not everything going on in society, well you've been sold a lie

social media definitely can impact peoples mental health with bullying and seeing lots of trash opinions or influencers living better lives

but its not the root of where we are currently, its not social media that has setup the economy we have or how governments act

yeah they are part of the problem like every other large corporate machine that puts their profits ahead of the interests of everyone, but they're just an example and an easy one to pick on

you ban social media and that isn't going to change what traditional media does, isn't going to change what governments do

isn't going to stop teens from getting online and talking to each other, they'll just move to another platform

its just the latest example of pretending the problem isn't widespread and that governments can "fix" it while maintaining the status quo on everything else

this push to age verify the interwebz, so cringe an overreach
Im curious what you mean by "overreach"? Is your issue with the Gov intervening here or with the issue of social media..

Agree with Gralin. It's a complete overreach and if you think kids won't be able to get around it you're dreamin'.

Very typical of recent governments - "think of the childruuuhn" as they drag everyone into the data mine.
Not sure i agree with this. If we cant eliminate it all then dont bother doing anything? Sounds like most yanks on gun control logic to me.

It might not work but if the alternative is do nothing then id probably rather try.

Im curious what you mean by "overreach"? Is your issue with the Gov intervening here or with the issue of social media..

Not sure i agree with this. If we cant eliminate it all then dont bother doing anything? Sounds like most yanks on gun control logic to me.

It might not work but if the alternative is do nothing then id probably rather try.
The dangers lie in central storage of this information - nothing stored digitally is safe really.

It wouldn't be effective. Kids go to other platforms. Those platforms would not even have ANY of the sparse protection mechanisms of Meta or X.

The effects of social media are likely a lot lower than believed. There is conflicting evidence. Tackling other issues would yield more lasting results. Better options for parents to be aware of usage, for one. Better blocking at the device level. Opt-in instead of opt-out to some types of material.

The dangers lie in central storage of this information - nothing stored digitally is safe really.

It wouldn't be effective. Kids go to other platforms. Those platforms would not even have ANY of the sparse protection mechanisms of Meta or X.

The effects of social media are likely a lot lower than believed. There is conflicting evidence. Tackling other issues would yield more lasting results. Better options for parents to be aware of usage, for one. Better blocking at the device level. Opt-in instead of opt-out to some types of material.
Thats probably fair. I cant say im any sort of an expert on the process and how it would work (hence the question).

There seems to be some simple aspects of social media that could use tweaking, it can and has in alot of instances become a platform for 24/7 bullying and exclusion of kids, also a horrible platform for kids comitting violent acts and crimes for "clout". Both those things should be simple fixes IMO.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thats probably fair. I cant say im any sort of an expert on the process and how it would work (hence the question).

There seems to be some simple aspects of social media that could use tweaking, it can and has in alot of instances become a platform for 24/7 bullying and exclusion of kids, also a horrible platform for kids comitting violent acts and crimes for "clout". Both those things should be simple fixes IMO.
Options like a security token in the metadata of a phone's photos and videos could be used maybe? Then you can find the people doing it. Platforms can't accept uploads without that token? But this still leaves other platforms like Telegram as alternatives for sharing. Dunno.

Better off creating a better society where parents have time and resources to help their kids. Where kids have safe options.

Options like a security token in the metadata of a phone's photos and videos could be used maybe? Then you can find the people doing it. Platforms can't accept uploads without that token? But this still leaves other platforms like Telegram as alternatives for sharing. Dunno.

Better off creating a better society where parents have time and resources to help their kids. Where kids have safe options.
Obviously but thats a much heftier idea than tidying up social media (which is definitely a contributing factor).

Open to stalking and doxxing

How Big Tech Created the Anxious Generation

You can't buy a product or pay for a service these days without being asked to complete a survey. Work is getting ridiculous as well having to complete surveys all the time. **** off with your ****ing surveys.

You can't buy a product or pay for a service these days without being asked to complete a survey. Work is getting ridiculous as well having to complete surveys all the time. heck off with your ******* surveys.
We are introducing a new cultural-change program that teaches people how to cope more effectively with adversity and stress with the aim to prevent trauma symptoms

One of the first things that happened was a confidential survey to all staff and then workshops where management weren’t able to attend and staff were asked questions around management. The feedback effectively was that there were too many “chefs”, they made changes without consultation, the changes were almost always reactive and ineffective and led to a toxic work environment.

That feedback obviously didn’t go down well as we are now only implementing some of the modules - you can guess who it is they won’t be making changes

Defeats the purpose of the entire program but it will look good at accreditation.

You can't buy a product or pay for a service these days without being asked to complete a survey. Work is getting ridiculous as well having to complete surveys all the time. heck off with your ******* surveys.
On a scale of 1 to 10, how do you feel about surveys?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back