Society & Culture Things that Make You Feel Old

Remove this Banner Ad

I had a coupled of teachers who were dead eyed with a blackboard duster or bit of chalk.

To get revenge on this we’d hide bits of chalk in the dusters, so when they went to clean the board they’d draw all over it. Our Science teacher in particular used to lose her shit when it happened, absolute champagne comedy!

Early 20s, so not quite in the same ballpark as some on here...

Definitely starting to notice if I ever go out on the town with my mates that I feel old(er) than a decent chunk of the crowd. I look at some of the behaviour and interactions of the fresh 18/19 y/o kids and think "geez, I really hope I didn't act like that".

On a similar note - hangovers are starting to hit a bit different. I reckon I'm a few short years off being rendered inoperable for a whole Sunday.
I was about 30 when I decided, I’m not going to do that to myself again.

Definitely starting to notice if I ever go out on the town with my mates that I feel old(er) than a decent chunk of the crowd. I look at some of the behaviour and interactions of the fresh 18/19 y/o kids and think "geez, I really hope I didn't act like that".

On a similar note - hangovers are starting to hit a bit different. I reckon I'm a few short years off being rendered inoperable for a whole Sunday.
Early 30's and if I have a buck show or something large on Saturday I now book Monday off haha

Early 20’s 🤣🤣🤣
Talk to me in 30 years

Hangovers these days go from 3 a week in my early 20’s to 3 a year now though luckily 😁

It's not just women, a lot of male movie stars look younger than their age these days, Brad Pitt and Johnny Depp are both 60 now

Paul Rudd is 55 and he could still pass for a guy in his late 30s, don't think any of those guys use botox, they may use hair colour.
Everyone of them is using botox and other stuff. Pitt has had a facelift (my wife follows a stack of plastic surgery accounts that do breakdowns, theyre really interesting TBH)

I think the social acceptance of anti ageing procedures and treatments also helps, youd be STUNNED how many women and men under 30 are getting botox regularly.

You see people you haven't seen for a while and it's never long before one of you pipes up with did you so and so died, the other one that's starting to come up lately is who's now a grandparent.
You look at those people you havent seen in a long time and think '' gees they are looking old '' and the reverb is startling

' yeah so are you''

As a big fan of the old Mad Max and Planet of the Apes films it weirds me out a bit that there are fans nowadays who basically start afresh at Fury Road and Rise and see the earlier stuff as optional or old

I guess in a sense it is a good sign of resurgent franchises finding a new lease, but it also seems a bit incurious

Last edited:
You see people you haven't seen for a while and it's never long before one of you pipes up with did you so and so died, the other one that's starting to come up lately is who's now a grandparent.

I'm 43 and figured that I'd be getting old when my mates stop having kids, a few are still punching them out in their early 40s though, i reckon they're mad but good on em.

My old man has been getting obliterated every Friday/Saturday night since the 80s and I've never seen him hungover. He's a dying breed.

You look at those people you havent seen in a long time and think '' gees they are looking old '' and the reverb is startling

' yeah so are you''
Recently saw a photo of a bunch of people (at a reunion type occasion) I used to work with 25 years ago, barely recognised any of them 😟

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As a big fan of the old Mad Max and Planet of the Apes films it weirds me out a bit that there are fans nowadays who basically start afresh at Fury Road and Rise and see the earlier stuff as optional or old

I guess in a sense it is a good sign of resurgent franchises finding a new lease, but it also seems a bit incurious

I wasn't a big fan of the old Planet of the Apes film or the new ones but I was a big fan of the old Mad Max films and Fury Road.

Fury Road was the the first Mad Max film I saw at the cinema and that was one of the best experiences I have had in a cinema.

I watched the old Max Max films on video as I was just a kid back then but I wish I was old enough to see them at the cinema.

I can't wait to see the new Mad Max film Furiosa at the cinema.

Things that make you feel old is calling it a cinema, we used to have Cinema City in Perth but that bit the dust a long time ago.

I wasn't a big fan of the old Planet of the Apes film or the new ones but I was a big fan of the old Mad Max films and Fury Road.

Fury Road was the the first Mad Max film I saw at the cinema and that was one of the best experiences I have had in a cinema.

I watched the old Max Max films on video as I was just a kid back then but I wish I was old enough to see them at the cinema.

I can't wait to see the new Mad Max film Furiosa at the cinema.

Things that make you feel old is calling it a cinema, we used to have Cinema City in Perth but that bit the dust a long time ago.
Yes, we called it “the pitchers”. 🤣

I was thinking of going to see Furiosa but there have been a couple of ordinary reviews.

Explaining to reactors on YouTube who a 90s (or earlier) music act is or explaining movies or TV shows from back then to them.

Sometimes I think they are deliberately trolling when they are like 'Who is Dolly Parton?' or 'First time ever hearing The Beatles' lol but I guess back in the 70s or 80s I probably didn't know too many performers or silent movies from up to 60 years earlier...

Explaining to reactors on YouTube who a 90s (or earlier) music act is or explaining movies or TV shows from back then to them.

Sometimes I think they are deliberately trolling when they are like 'Who is Dolly Parton?' or 'First time ever hearing The Beatles' lol but I guess back in the 70s or 80s I probably didn't know too many performers or silent movies from up to 60 years earlier...
Yeah some are a bit suss...
'ohhhhhh never heard this before"...says the middle aged person listening to Dreams by Fleetwood Mac, for example.
GTFOH

Are you twitching?
Yes, I took a photo of a striated pardalote, and I think a white cheeked honeyeater. Also had a bin chicken in my mallee.

I'll be bringing up the half ton later this year, feel really strange about that.

I was in my 20s when I first joined this site :eek:
hit 51 at the start of the year

just keep moving imo, keep active physically and mentally
ive forced myself to learn new gen shit online thru work just to keep up to date, and i gym 5 days a week (prob a bit overkill but find it a good mental release)

hit 51 at the start of the year

just keep moving imo, keep active physically and mentally
ive forced myself to learn new gen s**t online thru work just to keep up to date, and i gym 5 days a week (prob a bit overkill but find it a good mental release)
You still feel mid 20s?

about mid 30s i reckon
but i've always had a reasonably active job
i would physically handle a couple of tonne per day at work as an average for quite a few years (in many small amounts ranging from 10 to 16 kgs) so it kept me on the slimmer side
played some footy at the country level so that helped a bit

body always working, never really still at a desk, better blood flow, never stagnant, never really smashed grog, did smoke for a bit but gave that shit away, absolute stupidest decision ever to smoke cigs ffs

keep the brain active and learning in something you enjoy i deff think helps, everyone has something diff they like

recently i've 'learnt' to not let shit bother me and if anything comes up at work or lifestyle wise i just think well that's the way the universe is steering me so ill make it into a positive.
i also just ignore the bullshit now
if it doesn't benefit me anyway i don't get sucked into it
like sitting on here for 4 hrs a night, watching stupid shit online etc

keep moving and keep the brain learning has worked for me so far
obviously ill slow down as i head towards mid 60s but i hopefully wont need a posturepedic care chair that helps me stand up to go and boil the kettle

Remove this Banner Ad

Back