Society & Culture Things in life you just don't understand - Part 4

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’m actually defending the right for two adults to hook up if they are of age and there is no coercion, that’s pretty much it.

And honestly I have no idea if it would have affected her career or not had she knocked the Deppster back. I feel like he’d probably have had some other options though. Plus he’s only an actor not a Harvey Weinstein type powerful figure to my knowledge.
But you're not. You're demonstrating your complete lack of understanding of how coercion and influence works. You see in this instance two consenting adults whilst completely ignoring a bunch of other mitigating factors. "Oh shes 18 so its fair game" its naive to a ridiculous degree.

Johnny Depp is not just an actor, hes heavily involved in both production and script development. Do some research and youd know he was personally involved in the casting for the Rum Diaries where he met Amber Heard. Im sure that seems completely above board to you though.
I feel like he’d still do ok to be honest, though we are talking about Depp a while back when they hooked up of course.
I feel like hed do better now through coercion than he would on merit

It's been happening that way for a long time isn't a good reason for something to continue.

Older guys marrying girls in the 12-16 range happened for a long time, I know it still does but its not considered acceptable behavior now.

If you don't think power dymanics matter and that age isn't part of power dynamics you should probably do some reading on the issues
Random aside on this, but I found browsing history stuff on the middle ages that the marriage at a young age, at least among the nobility, is something which is somewhat mischaracterized. While people were married off at that age generally marriages were not consummated until 18-20 (since it was understood that pregnancy at earlier ages came with a high chance of fatality, killing off the alliance marriages brought noble families).

I’m actually defending the right for two adults to hook up if they are of age and there is no coercion, that’s pretty much it.

It's legal for a 50 year old to hook up with an 18 year old. Fair enough.

Still creepy as f*** though imo.

But you're not. You're demonstrating your complete lack of understanding of how coercion and influence works. You see in this instance two consenting adults whilst completely ignoring a bunch of other mitigating factors. "Oh shes 18 so its fair game" its naive to a ridiculous degree.

Johnny Depp is not just an actor, hes heavily involved in both production and script development. Do some research and youd know he was personally involved in the casting for the Rum Diaries where he met Amber Heard. Im sure that seems completely above board to you though.

I feel like hed do better now through coercion than he would on merit

Ok I’m happy to agree to disagree on this one, thank you for trying to correct my ignorance though.

Still creepy as f*** though imo.

Yeah I don’t disagree it might be morally wrong but it should be legal of course.

Random aside on this, but I found browsing history stuff on the middle ages that the marriage at a young age, at least among the nobility, is something which is somewhat mischaracterized. While people were married off at that age generally marriages were not consummated until 18-20 (since it was understood that pregnancy at earlier ages came with a high chance of fatality, killing off the alliance marriages brought noble families).
the poorer girls might not have been so lucky

but medieval royalty aside

I know this was happening in Vic 20 years ago, and they weren't waiting for the 18-20 age

married off out of primary school, no high school, go back to visit the primary school with their new babies before the age of 16

Didn’t she alread win (or he lost) the English case? This one is in the states?
yes the wifebeater stood because of abuse and threatening texts in the UK so he went to the US

the poorer girls might not have been so lucky

but medieval royalty aside

I know this was happening in Vic 20 years ago, and they weren't waiting for the 18-20 age

married off out of primary school, no high school, go back to visit the primary school with their new babies before the age of 16
Terrible. I think my point (if I have one) is that marrying that young was always kind of skeevy in history and not really the romanticized norm that some pervy fantasy authors (George R. R. Martin) adhere to.

Terrible. I think my point (if I have one) is that marrying that young was always kind of skeevy in history and not really the romanticized norm that some pervy fantasy authors (George R. R. Martin) adhere to.
the single biggest factor to changing child bride scenarios seems to be education, specifically women's education even more than men's

which kind of says historically guys were happy for women to not know they were being taken advantage of

I think that's a pretty accurate assessment

but its not like its no longer an issue unfortunately

EVERY road side construction Ive seen over the last year or so has had token chicks "working" with them

Ive Never seen them do anything.

Always just standing around while the blokes are digging and whatnot.

Is this just a PR stunt or councils etc trying to be inclusive?

On SM-G925I using BigFooty.com mobile app

EVERY road side construction Ive seen over the last year or so has had token chicks "working" with them

Every road side construction I've seen is 98% people standing around on smoko with one guy driving a piece of machinery

FFS...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well a lot of women seem to do the traffic controlling that’s for sure. I thought it was because the theory went blokes speed the most and if a female is doing the traffic they’re more likely to stop?

As much as i dont want to wade into this ****ing shitstorm.

I work in the construction industry and there is absolutely a push to have more women employed. FWIW in my (pretty extensive) experience the women are some of the hardest working and most resourceful people ive dealt with and most completely understand they have to not only work harder and do more but also somehow be nicer and more liked all at the same time to progress.

As for women onsite as per Cuzz example, bullshit, the types of projects you are talking about would either be council work or major projects (both of which absolutely have incentives for more women to be employed) but the generalisation you are making just isnt the case, id suggest its some sort of unconscious bias but i havent ever looked over a building or construction site and seen women standing around anymore than i have seen the men, in fact id argue the opposite is true as the women are aware more people watch and measure their producivity.

On Interlopers point, its sort of accurate, a number of major builders found that in consumer facing roles (eg Traffic Control) women were much better at conflict resolution and de escalation than men had been. Hence alot of traffic management sub contractors looked to hire more women in the role (less conflict, less complaints, less complaints better references, better references more work).

As much as i dont want to wade into this ******* shitstorm.

I work in the construction industry and there is absolutely a push to have more women employed. FWIW in my (pretty extensive) experience the women are some of the hardest working and most resourceful people ive dealt with and most completely understand they have to not only work harder and do more but also somehow be nicer and more liked all at the same time to progress.

As for women onsite as per Cuzz example, bullshit, the types of projects you are talking about would either be council work or major projects (both of which absolutely have incentives for more women to be employed) but the generalisation you are making just isnt the case, id suggest its some sort of unconscious bias but i havent ever looked over a building or construction site and seen women standing around anymore than i have seen the men, in fact id argue the opposite is true as the women are aware more people watch and measure their producivity.

On Interlopers point, its sort of accurate, a number of major builders found that in consumer facing roles (eg Traffic Control) women were much better at conflict resolution and de escalation than men had been. Hence alot of traffic management sub contractors looked to hire more women in the role (less conflict, less complaints, less complaints better references, better references more work).

Ha ha I thought twice about commenting too...

I think as well there were skills shortages in construction too, makes sense to widen the potential employees field. This is also why that report into the treatment of female umpires was commissioned as well i'd imagine, there's always a shortage of umpires so if they can encourage more females it will help.

Maybe coz they stand out more I notice them more.

Its become a thing I notice now.

Not saying they dont do anything but 5-10 years ago there was none so good progress I guess.

Interesting to hear its true companies have incentives to hire more females.

Maybe coz they stand out more I notice them more.

Its become a thing I notice now.

Not saying they dont do anything but 5-10 years ago there was none so good progress I guess.

Interesting to hear its true companies have incentives to hire more females.

I dont think i said incentives... There is an industry wide push to hire more but there is no tangible incentive that im aware of.

Consideration to social responsibility (including hiring of women and minorities, traineeships and opportunities for vulnerable people) are considered in tendering major projects so you wont be able to compete in that criteria if your tendering against companies that are but its not like "you get x for hiring 5 women a year"

Sorry not incentive but "encouragement"

Im not having a go at them by the way its just something I've noticed.

I spend 2/3 days a week on different major construction sites and I would absolutely disagree with your assessment.

People who buy those big american utes to drive here.

On the FTA 6 o'clock news the other day they had a Ford puff piece where they proudly announced the arrival of Ford F-150s into Australia, the highest selling ute in the world (apparently) and they only needed 36 hours to convert them into right-hand drive vehicles.

I wonder if this means that Australian consumer tastes are becoming more like Americans - if so, may god help us all. What kind of person living and working in metropolitan Perth needs an F-150?

People who buy those big american utes to drive here.

ive seen a Ford F350 round my area, this ****er is huge, wouldnt be able to drive down my street if 2 cars are parked on either side of the road, no idea why you need anything so big in the metro area

the highest selling ute in the world

Ford sells about 2500 F150 per day

ive seen a Ford F350 round my area, this f***er is huge, wouldnt be able to drive down my street if 2 cars are parked on either side of the road, no idea why you need anything so big in the metro area
I have seen a few Dodge Rams and GMC ones and you cannot park them at the shops, They would struggle to drive around streets where tram tracks are too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back