Toast Things about the Bombers that make you smile

In honour of Sheedys 50 years in Football what is his greatest contribution to the game?

• 929 games as player and coach(7 Premierships).

Votes: 7 43.8%
  • Anzac Day

Votes: 3 18.8%
  • Dreamtime at the G

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Work as an AFL ambassador and expanding the game

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Great innovator on and off the field

Votes: 6 37.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Killer_Mike

Premiership Player
Mar 31, 2017
Ghetto Extraordinary
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Arsenal,Knicks,Victory
I thought I might start a bit of a lighthearted thread and somewhere where we can come to celebrate great Essendon stories.

If this has been covered elsewhere then delete but I thought it might be a good opportunity to discuss things throughout the history of our great club that makes you proud to be a bomber.

Now what I thought we could post here were things that helped define this club. This may be a something a person of great influence like Kevin Sheedy has done, or even something somebody outside the realm of the club has done that makes you nod in respect. If you feel that a player put their body on the line over the weekend and it may not be celebrated enough then if you have "gif" skills or not please add these to the thread also(in fact go gif crazy because a picture tells a thousand words).

As far as I'm concerned anyone that is a supporter, member, coach, player, staff member or such other things is part of the Bomber family and has a story to share.

I thought I would kick it off with a truly inspiring story that I'm sure would make even the most sombre supporter crack a smile.

This story is about a kid with a dream and the will to succeed. And behind every great man is a great woman.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...s/news-story/dbe95d4286bb276d2a25ec7c9ddb3bd7

"When he wasn’t drafted, McDonald-Tipungwuti considered quitting football in favour of rugby, maybe with Melbourne Storm or Rebels if he could crack it.

“She was pretty hard — that’s what mums are for,” he said.

“But I look at it as a real positive. She’s made me become a good footballer rather than taking all the easy roads. She gave me that hard feedback to improve on, giving me advice and pushing me to become a better player.”

He didn’t know it at the time but often he was well within the times required. Jane wasn’t going to tell him that — it made him work harder.

They worked through game plans together, and still do. Sometimes articulating the strategies to Jane helped McDonald-Tipungwuti learn them inside-out himself."

Final Story: 1984.

I watched the entire thing with a massive grin on my face. :)
Haven't seen that one but I notice its on YouTube so may have to watch soon.

Football in the 80's is pretty much unrecognizable to what it is today:)

Can certainly see how "Lethal" Leigh Mathews got his nickname.

I thought I might start a bit of a lighthearted thread and somewhere where we can come to celebrate great Essendon stories.

If this has been covered elsewhere then delete but I thought it might be a good opportunity to discuss things throughout the history of our great club that makes you proud to be a bomber.

Now what I thought we could post here were things that helped define this club. This may be a something a person of great influence like Kevin Sheedy has done, or even something somebody outside the realm of the club has done that makes you nod in respect. If you feel that a player put their body on the line over the weekend and it may not be celebrated enough then if you have "gif" skills or not please add these to the thread also(in fact go gif crazy because a picture tells a thousand words).

As far as I'm concerned anyone that is a supporter, member, coach, player, staff member or such other things is part of the Bomber family and has a story to share.

I thought I would kick it off with a truly inspiring story that I'm sure would make even the most sombre supporter crack a smile.

This story is about a kid with a dream and the will to succeed. And behind every great man is a great woman.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...s/news-story/dbe95d4286bb276d2a25ec7c9ddb3bd7

"When he wasn’t drafted, McDonald-Tipungwuti considered quitting football in favour of rugby, maybe with Melbourne Storm or Rebels if he could crack it.

“She was pretty hard — that’s what mums are for,” he said.

“But I look at it as a real positive. She’s made me become a good footballer rather than taking all the easy roads. She gave me that hard feedback to improve on, giving me advice and pushing me to become a better player.”

He didn’t know it at the time but often he was well within the times required. Jane wasn’t going to tell him that — it made him work harder.

They worked through game plans together, and still do. Sometimes articulating the strategies to Jane helped McDonald-Tipungwuti learn them inside-out himself."

on a similar note, Emma Quayle's award winning article on Walla last year
http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-ne...ney-to-overnight-success-20160526-gp4djm.html

The year was 2000. Essendon had just won the flag. The next day a very rusty bunch of players turned up at Windy Hill for 'Family Day' where Kevin Sheedy talked to the crowd on stage via microphone. One by one he introduces the players and gives us all a little taste of his relationship with them and tells a story we all might not know.

Enter one John Barnes.

John steps up to the mic after being introduced beautifully as the prodigal son by Sheeds and is asked 'How happy are you John?'
John grabs the mic and proceeds to tell each and every man, woman and child attending 'This is the best thing that's ever happened to me in my life and I hope youse all get a root tonight!'

Mic drop. Exit stage. Crowd goes wild.

So many highlights.

There is something delightfully amusing and so quintessentially TD about the bit where he looks straight at the interviewer, completely dead pan and emotionless, and says "I would have hated to have been Hawthorne when we got that run on".

We all loved it, TD.

I'm surprised Dodoro and his many jackets haven't been mentioned.

Winning the Melbourne game last year.

Hooksy re-signing, especially so quickly (y).

Josh Green's tackle on Sam Mitchell. (someone get a gif pls?)

Fantasia signing on for 3 more years after rumours of other clubs sniffing around. gagf.

Walla Walla Walla Walla Walla. Also that tackle on Dangerfield, smack! Human cannonball. And then the GWS guy that he helped back up after knocking him into the next century. haha.

Joe Daniher and Zach Merrett, the bromance and also the pact to make this club great again. And also their individual on-field efforts.

I'm surprised Dodoro and his many jackets haven't been mentioned.

Winning the Melbourne game last year.

Hooksy re-signing, especially so quickly (y).

Josh Green's tackle on Sam Mitchell. (someone get a gif pls?)

Fantasia signing on for 3 more years after rumours of other clubs sniffing around. gagf.

Walla Walla Walla Walla Walla. Also that tackle on Dangerfield, smack! Human cannonball. And then the GWS guy that he helped back up after knocking him into the next century. haha.

Joe Daniher and Zach Merrett, the bromance and also the pact to make this club great again. And also their individual on-field efforts.
Very emotional day.

Very emotional day.
I've cried twice at the footy. Once was the second Carlton win in 2013 when we all knew we were about to be reamed by the AFL and most likely be removed from the finals, and the Melbourne win last year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I've cried twice at the footy. Once was the second Carlton win in 2013 when we all knew we were about to be reamed by the AFL and most likely be removed from the finals, and the Melbourne win last year.
That final game last year against Carlton was the most emotional for me. I think about that day and it makes me smile.

I vaguely remember Max Crow standing in the goal square kicking goals with a broken bone in his leg or ankle as a kid. I got his number on my back after that. Loved being at the game when Ablett kicked 14 and Salmon 10 in three quarters. Also the comeback in the final against the crows after a first half smashing by them was pretty good.

That Melbourne win is only something Essendon supporters would understand. It wasn't special because we were underdogs, it wasn't special because we were told we'd never win a game. It was special because the first time in 4 years we had a cheer without also having a massive shadow cast over the club. We wouldn't open up Monday's paper with a new headline telling us how shit we are for cheering or why we should be burning people at the stake.

When that final siren blew everything that happened was finally in the past, and that was a special moment.

Also Lloydy's Mark of the Year when he was told he was too old and shit, that was awesome too.

Back