20th Century The Windsor Dynasty - making the wrong decision to appear "Impartial"

Remove this Banner Ad

the idea of genetic power/status in todays society is a throwback to medieval times and shows off our minion tendencies. couldn't care less about the personalities involved, it is time we out grew the whole concept of royalty.

i'm sure the tabloid newspapers, womens magazines and the tripe they serve up in the MSM TV current affairs and news these days will find other things to fill in the "feel good":rolleyes: portions of their content.

Also when devised, It wasnt just waiting till your parent died before ascending to power, if your monarch started losing battles (in which he was expected to take a leading role) power could be taken by force, if he survived the battle.

The Czar/Tsar. The Kaiser was another cousin.

On hearing the Czar had abdicated King George V sent a telegram on March 19, 1917 that read: "Events of last week have deeply distressed me. My thoughts are constantly with you and I shall always remain your true and devoted friend, as you know I have been in the past"

This message was telegraphed by the War Office to Major-General Sir John Hanbury Williams, British Military Representative at Russian Headquarters. It arrived after the Tsar had been placed under arrest. Sir John therefore repeated the King's telegram to Sir George Buchanan, British Ambassador at Petrograd, who handed it to Miliukov, Foreign Minister in the Provisional Government, with the request that it might be forwarded to the Tsar. The next day M. Miliukov sent for Sir George Buchanan and in-formed him that he thought it better not to send on the telegram as it 'might be misinterpreted and used as an argument in favour of (the Tsar's) detention.

This quite small incident rendered it evident that any efforts the King could make to assist Tsar Nicholas might, unless cautiously handled, embarrass the moderate elements in the Russian Provisional Government and even be mis-interpreted at home.

On March 30 George V instructed Lord Stamfordham to write to the Foreign Secretary:

"The King has been thinking much about the Government's proposal that the Emperor Nicholas and his family should come to England. As you are doubtless aware, the King has a strong personal friendship for the Emperor and therefore would be glad to do anything to help Him in this crisis. But His Majesty cannot help doubting not only on account of the dangers of the voyage, but on general grounds of expediency, whether it is advisable that the Imperial Family should take up their residence in this country. The King would be glad if you would consult the Prime Minister, as His Majesty understands that no definite decision has yet been come to on the subject by the Russian Government."

By April 1917, the suggestion that the Tsar and his family should be given asylum in this country had become publicly known. Much indignation was expressed in left-wing circles and the King, who was unjustly supposed to be the originator of the proposal, received many abusive letters. Sir George Buchanan, moreover, pointed out that the presence of the Imperial family in England would assuredly be exploited to our detriment by the extremists as well as by the German agents in Russia. The King felt that these disadvantages had not been sufficiently considered by the Government. On April 10, he instructed Lord Stamfordham again to suggest to the Prime Minister that, since public opinion was evidently opposed to the proposal, the Russian Government might be informed that His Majesty's Government felt obliged to withdraw the consent which they had previously given.

The French Minister of War was asked whether the French Government would give the Russian Royal Family asylum in France. He replied in the affirmative and a telegram was thus sent to Sir George Buchanan (the British ambassdor) instructing him to place this alternative suggestion before Miliukov (the Foreign Minister in the Provisional Government).

Source: Harold Nicolson, King George the Fifth: His Life and Reign (1953)

The British Cabinet refused to approve the marriage. The Queen was told that the Dominion prime ministers were unanimously against the marriage and that Parliament would not approve a marriage that would be unrecognised by the Church of England unless Margaret renounced her rights to the throne. The PM Anthony Eden drew up a plan in 1955 under which Princess Margaret would have been able to marry Townsend by removing Margaret and any children from the marriage out of the line of succession. Margaret would be allowed to keep her royal title and her civil list allowance, stay in the country and even continue with her public duties. However Margaret herself decided it was too much and on 31st October 1955 announced "But mindful of the Church's teachings that Christian marriage is indissoluble, and conscious of my duty to the Commonwealth, I have resolved to put these considerations before others. I have reached this decision entirely alone..."

Source: Christopher Warwick, Princess Margaret: A Life of Contrasts (2002)

It appears if Roy lion lives a few more decades. He might kind of forgive Meghan Markle too

Remove this Banner Ad

Back