Food & Drink The Whisk(e)y Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

I've ended up with a bottle of Hellyers Road Peated, in the most fortuitous of circumstances, and had been resisting the urge to open it for the last five months (particularly because it's been a long time since I tried it). Last night I could not resist.

I might be going a little early but I'd put it on par with Lark Cask Strength and the Limeburners Sherry Cask as my favourite of the Aussie whiskies, and by quite some way.

Australian whiskies tend to have a floral character and a sweetness that I associate with our bush (in the same way that a rye invokes an image of an American alpine forest or the way a bourbon sparks an image of floating down the Mississippi) and which I did not think would sit comfortably with the flavour of peat (in the same way that the Talisker Port cask, for example, end up being over the top).

I was not expecting competing flavours to be so balanced. It is absolutely delicious.
Well said.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Bruichladdich.

Port Charlotte.

My ******* god.
Will purchase after these get disposed of, half the reason i'm doing it is I have no space for moar

Caol Ila is great, can’t say I’ve ever thought of it being really smoky or peaty though. More just velvety goodness.

Will purchase after these get disposed of, half the reason i'm doing it is I have no space for moar
Good stuff. It’s not cheap at about $110 a bottle, but it’s worth it. Make sure it’s the Port Charlotte - much peatier than standard Bruichladdich.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Oldie, but a goodie. Seems to be my go to, along with The Balvenie. $75 at Aldi at the moment. Very cheap.
7d9474f1ab94e03ab14038d8787cfa67.jpg

Got a bottle of Glendalough Double Barrel Irish Whiskey in a bet last week, very good drop. Not in the Laphroaig class but a nice one to mull over.

Hudson Manhattan Rye and Hudson Baby Bourbon...

Both 30th presents from my wife. Only 350ml bottles which means rationing is of the utmost importance...

Both also unbelievably good.

Hudson Manhattan Rye and Hudson Baby Bourbon...

Both 30th presents from my wife. Only 350ml bottles which means rationing is of the utmost importance...

Both also unbelievably good.

The bees knees...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back