Analysis The three choices of Pav

Remove this Banner Ad

Paracleet

Emotion is not going to get the job done..
Jun 30, 2011
AFL Club
Fremantle
The one, the only, Mr Matthew Pavlich, Mr Fremantle (forget this johnny-come-lately Fyfe ##$t, he's had it easy!), has played 334 games up to an including the Qualifying final against the Swans on the weekend. 334 games for exactly 167 wins and 167 losses (a remarkable comeback in of itself given that at the end of just his 3rd season his winning differential was -27 and that, despite unsustained improvement in the mid-naughties, was -32 as recently as the end of 2011.)
So the choices:
1) lose prelim and retire on 167-168.
2) win prelim and loose gf, retire on 168 -168
3) win both 169 - 167

Way I see it, it's a flag or one more year.

Last edited:
Do you really think a bloke who has stuck thick with a team which has been at best inconsistent and at worst diabolical for the whole of his career, despite getting attractive offers from much higher credentialled teams over east would care about this?

Do you really think a bloke who has stuck thick with a team which has been at best inconsistent and at worst diabolical for the whole of his career, despite getting attractive offers from much higher credentialled teams over east would care about this?
The tag "light-heart-statisitical-joke" wasn't available so I had to use "analysis", even though I suppose I knew in my heart it wouldn't be clear to anyone with no sense of humour.

Interesting stat - more or less shows the team as a whole has levelled out from being diabolical in the early naughties as well as 07-09.

Pav in full flight as a mid 20 year old was something special. He was kicking 60-70 goals a year in his peak and dominating all players. His 06' season stands out in my mind as his best. That Adelaide game (at footy park) where he kicked 8 or 9 I think was also his best game in my view. People talk about Fyfe as a 23 year old and what a freak he is. My view is that Pav was just as much a freak at that age all things considered.

I hope the club digs through the countless hours of highlights of him and makes something special for when he finally retires - it will be compelling viewing.

The tag "light-heart-statisitical-joke" wasn't available so I had to use "analysis", even though I suppose I knew in my heart it wouldn't be clear to anyone with no sense of humour.

Oh I was clear it wasn't entirely serious, but it really wasn't thread worthy IMHO.

Oh I was clear it wasn't entirely serious, but it really wasn't thread worthy IMHO.
I see Facebook has brought in a "Dislike" - I wish Big Footy would do the same.

In the absence of such, I will just say "you sir, are a cad and a bounder - lighten up".

Saw it on the news last night - I'm not on FB anymore for exactly that reason - I got sick of seeing what all my friends were eating, drinking and wearing :)
I see Facebook has brought in a "Dislike" - I wish Big Footy would do the same.

In the absence of such, I will just say "you sir, are a cad and a bounder - lighten up".

What is a Face Book?

There's no way we lose the Prelim Final and strand Pav on 167-168.

The only players in VFL/AFL history to play 250+ games and end their careers minus 1 in the win column are:

Dean Cox 144-1-145
Andrew Embley 124-1-125 and
Matthew Clarke 127-3-128.

Matty Clarke was ok, but no way do we leave Pav sitting alongside Cox and Embley.

If he finishes 168-168, he'll be the only player with 250+ games to end exactly square. (Nick Riewoldt is 146-6-146 at the moment).

Obviously we win both games and send him off 169-167.

This would place him alongside Bernie Quinlan 181-6-179, Carl Ditterich 142-3-140 and Steven Febey 130-128 as the only 250+ gamers to end their careers at plus 2.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The one, the only, Mr Matthew Pavlich, Mr Fremantle (forget this johnny-come-lately Fyfe ##$t, he's had it easy!), has played 334 games up to an including the Qualifying final against the Swans on the weekend. 334 games for exactly 167 wins and 167 losses (a remarkable comeback in of itself given that at the end of just his 3rd season his winning differential was -27 and that, despite unsustained improvement in the mid-naughties, was -32 as recently as the end of 2011.)
So the choices:
1) loose prelim and retire on 167-168.
2) win prelim and loose gf, retire on 168 -168
3) win both 169 - 167

Way I see it, it's a flag or one more year.

sticker,375x360.png

When did this happen? I'm on facebook now and can't see it. I want to dislike idiots who take pictures of food :thumbsu:
It's meant to be a different emotion so if something sad happens ( my dog died this morning) you don't have to 'like' it you can 'unlike'. It's not meant to be used as a negative, but I don't see how.

Interesting stat - more or less shows the team as a whole has levelled out from being diabolical in the early naughties as well as 07-09.

Pav in full flight as a mid 20 year old was something special. He was kicking 60-70 goals a year in his peak and dominating all players. His 06' season stands out in my mind as his best. That Adelaide game (at footy park) where he kicked 8 or 9 I think was also his best game in my view. People talk about Fyfe as a 23 year old and what a freak he is. My view is that Pav was just as much a freak at that age all things considered.

I hope the club digs through the countless hours of highlights of him and makes something special for when he finally retires - it will be compelling viewing.
That was 2005. Freo were down by nearly 40 points at half time and Pav kicked 7 (of 8) in the second half and we lost by a goal. More Pavlich lost by 6 really.
If it hadn't been for the emergence of Judd, my totally unbiased view is that he would have been recognised as the best player in the comp 2004 to 2006 (and we can go back in time and make people take the club seriously then. As well as removing Judd from the spacetime continuum as well obviously).

Remove this Banner Ad

Back