Toast The Singles Thread...

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah some silly and perhaps eve naïve comments in this thread. I understand people finding it boring and disliking it but to be calling it 'not a sport' is ignorant. Yes it does not take a lot of physical activity but to be honest having played both at a reasonably high level it is not too different to cricket who most on here I imagine would happily call a sport.

Golf takes a lot of hand eye coordination, is very much a high pressured sport at the highest level and takes a massive amount of skill.

Like I said I have no problems with people disliking it but please don't drag yourself down to a low level by suggesting it is not a sport. :thumbsdown:

Other than the leisurely walking between holes, the physical activity is pretty nonexistent. I Just don't call it a sport because when I compare it to footy or soccer or swimming etc, golf just doesn't seem like a sport.
Oh its just so wrong :(

I don't even walk it, I get the buggy #lazylife

Yeah some silly and perhaps eve naïve comments in this thread. I understand people finding it boring and disliking it but to be calling it 'not a sport' is ignorant. Yes it does not take a lot of physical activity but to be honest having played both at a reasonably high level it is not too different to cricket who most on here I imagine would happily call a sport.

Golf takes a lot of hand eye coordination, is very much a high pressured sport at the highest level and takes a massive amount of skill.

Like I said I have no problems with people disliking it but please don't drag yourself down to a low level by suggesting it is not a sport. :thumbsdown:
Cricket is very different to golf. Unless you're a bowler at the start of your teams batting innings.

Cricket is very different to golf. Unless you're a bowler at the start of your teams batting innings.

Disagree Jatz.

There is a hell of a lot of down time in cricket and most fielders don't do that much running. The hand eye coordination for batting to playing golf is very similar.

Disagree Jatz.

There is a hell of a lot of down time in cricket and most fielders don't do that much running. The hand eye coordination for batting to playing golf is very similar.
The hand eye coordination is about the only thing that's equivalent between the two sports. The fielding is sporadic and can happen at anytime, unlike golf.

Anyway, not really the point of the thread

The hand eye coordination is about the only thing that's equivalent between the two sports. The fielding is sporadic and can happen at anytime, unlike golf.

Anyway, not really the point of the thread
Well certain posters were suggesting golf was not even a sport, surely we can respond to such outrageous posts :p:D

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Golf is a sport just a boring one like rhythm gymnastics.

I think the hand eye co-ordination of golf to be extremely intense. Luckily I wasn't one of the posters who said golf wasn't a sport just boring.

Acey you said you would rather poke your eye out with a stick then watch a tennis match I find this sad. The Wimbledon final was fantastic and the players are super fit.

I am going to indulge you all in a little story of how it all changed for TL15.

I was brought up on the strict Aussie sport diet of AFL and cricket, realistically in my Dad's eyes any sport outside of that was soft and weak and that is how I grew up thinking. When I had kids I guess I just assumed it would be the same. When the time came for my eldest son to choose a sport to play to my surprise (and in hindsight I am appalled by my next comment) and disappointment he chose soccer. The game was foreign to me and I did not like it. My second son got chosen at a very early age to go into a junior development squad for gymnastics. He is now 8 years old and competes in MAG4 gymnastics. He trains 12 hours a week and it is all strength, discipline and technique. This was another sport that was foreign to me and need I say it again a sport I thought was for the weak hearted.

Fast forward to now and I could not be prouder of both of them and I have a deep and unwavering appreciation of each sport and all others. My second boy is still considered the sporting weakling at school and even downright weird by some students and teachers as his sole focus is on gymnastics, all he wants to do is one day represent his country at the Olympics, unfortunately for him at this age this sport is not recognized anywhere near the 'normal' sports at school and we realize the likelihood of him making it that far are remote.

The above changed my outlook on sports and the people that compete in them. I look at it another way now and that is my love of AFL can be the same for someone who loves Judo, Lawn Bowls or Lacrosse. It is not for me to judge the sport or them based on my bias. I applaud them for what they strive to achieve and take my hat off to them for their commitment knowing full well the easy option would be to toe the line and fall into the accepted sports.

Golf is a sport just a boring one like rhythm gymnastics.

I think the hand eye co-ordination of golf to be extremely intense. Luckily I wasn't one of the posters who said golf wasn't a sport just boring.

Acey you said you would rather poke your eye out with a stick then watch a tennis match I find this sad. The Wimbledon final was fantastic and the players are super fit.
I think i may have mentioned that tennis is snooze city. Not sure i mentioned the other points.

I find the endless grunting and shrieking somewhat off putting.

None the less i acknowledge tennis is a great sport just one i no longer find interesting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back