Official Club Stuff The President & the Board - Sayers to continue as Pres until end of 2025

Remove this Banner Ad

Appreciate the desire for continuity, which is frankly my concern.

What if when the Senate Committee comes down in June (when it is due) and recommends prosecution or something?

Do you want the Carlton President to be prosecuted headline?

Anyway, my opinion is just that

Results is the determinant of tenure.
I would like these decisions to be made at the end of this year, after all, it is 14 good games in 21 years. Acknowledging there is the practical aspect of not wanting cook and voss poached. I would also want to know Sayers is Teflon coated. It will not be optimal if he is front page news coming into finals, with the anti-carlton sports media banging on like Patrick Smith did with Pratt, back in the day.

I would like these decisions to be made at the end of this year, after all, it is (1)14 good games in 21 years. Acknowledging there is the practical aspect of not wanting cook and voss poached. I would also want to know Sayers is Teflon coated. It will not be optimal if he is front page news coming into finals, with the anti-carlton sports media banging on like Patrick Smith did with (2)Pratt, back in the day.
(1) utter tripe
(2) pratt was convicted for price fixing - it's sort of a big deal

good to see you warming up for another big year...........

A you being a little sensitive, dafodil, when confronted with objective facts?
don't spill all the negativity at once, long year, gotta spread it out..........

A you being a little sensitive, dafodil, when confronted with objective facts?

I don't mind a bit of critical analysis and I think we need some balance at this time of year, when every player is training the house down and on the verge of a breakout season BUT that is your opinion, not facts MJ

I would like these decisions to be made at the end of this year, after all, it is 14 good games in 21 years. Acknowledging there is the practical aspect of not wanting cook and voss poached. I would also want to know Sayers is Teflon coated. It will not be optimal if he is front page news coming into finals, with the anti-carlton sports media banging on like Patrick Smith did with Pratt, back in the day.
Come on Jezz...we made a prelim last year the clubs stable … at least wait til we’re trash again to start with negative. I saw you lifting the lid coming into finals last year the excitement channel that instead

So you'd like to get to October with the president, the CEO and the senior coach of the club all out of contract?
With the playing list going through a pivotal season not knowing if there won't be massive upheaval in every off-field leadership position at the club?
Despite everything that we hear from the club about how important the stability has been for the group?

That's a big no for me.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So you'd like to get to October with the president, the CEO and the senior coach of the club all out of contract?
With the playing list going through a pivotal season not knowing if there won't be massive upheaval in every off-field leadership position at the club?
Despite everything that we hear from the club about how important the stability has been for the group?

That's a big no for me.
Read what I wrote I wouldn't be throwing out extensions willy nilly. Do you want Sayers as your president, embroiled in a government investigation. Hence my point..." you would want to know he is teflon coated"

Read what I wrote I wouldn't be throwing out extensions willy nilly. Do you want Sayers as your president, embroiled in a government investigation. Hence my point..." you would want to know he is teflon coated"
I read it.

You want to wait until the end of the year to extend the president, the CEO and the senior coach.
I don’t think that’s a good idea. At all.

And as for Sayers specifically, I don’t think it’s a good idea to end his tenure based on the possibility of a negative outcome for him from an inquiry.

I think you react to that appropriately if and when anything happens.

Confirming I've also signed a contract extension and will not be going anywhere either.

I've fielded offers to be a moderator on other club boards.

Saints have zero expectations, drugs are prevalent at Essendon but not exactly through recognised sources, Cats think I'm too young, and Pies are passionate, but don't offer dental.

Guess I'm signing on for another season.

Hasn't overshadowed anything so far.

Sayers has kicked plenty of goals and stability is important right now.
I just don’t see how he can escape entanglement in that scandal. But I have to agree, it doesn’t seem to have affected the club in any way so far. Deal with it if/when it becomes an actual.

I didn't really want to make my first post on such a controversial topic BUT it makes zero sense to have Voss, Sayers and Cook all out of contract at the end of 2024. We just came off a prelim. Extending Sayers and Cook until end of 2025 makes sense. Voss at least 2025 possibly end of 2026.

As for Sayers PwC scandal, yes it is an issue. But if there is a finding against him, then he will have to resign. That will be what it will be. We can only judge him on his role at Carlton and we just had our best season in 20 years. His business continues to consult on Commonwealth and Victorian Government contracts - would that be happening if he was likely to face charges? Highly doubt it.

My personal view is the PwC scandal has passed. It has been a useful tool to enable the Federal Government to expand the public service and crack down on consultants. That isn't to undermine the actual scandal, it is one of the worst things I have seen in business since the Banking Royal Commission and the weapons for wheat scandal. But the way PwC is run, I would doubt Sayers as CEO was across the detail / strategy.

Back the team who turned it around last year because they did an amazing job. Don't get the pitchfork out if we go backwards this year - success is not linear. Dees went top 4, missed finals and then a flag. I hope we make finals this year, but if don't make a prelim it doesn't mean Sayers etc are the wrong people. Judge the Club at the end of 2025, which is when I expect us to be polishing 17.

I didn't really want to make my first post on such a controversial topic BUT it makes zero sense to have Voss, Sayers and Cook all out of contract at the end of 2024. We just came off a prelim. Extending Sayers and Cook until end of 2025 makes sense. Voss at least 2025 possibly end of 2026.

As for Sayers PwC scandal, yes it is an issue. But if there is a finding against him, then he will have to resign. That will be what it will be. We can only judge him on his role at Carlton and we just had our best season in 20 years. His business continues to consult on Commonwealth and Victorian Government contracts - would that be happening if he was likely to face charges? Highly doubt it.

My personal view is the PwC scandal has passed. It has been a useful tool to enable the Federal Government to expand the public service and crack down on consultants. That isn't to undermine the actual scandal, it is one of the worst things I have seen in business since the Banking Royal Commission and the weapons for wheat scandal. But the way PwC is run, I would doubt Sayers as CEO was across the detail / strategy.

Back the team who turned it around last year because they did an amazing job. Don't get the pitchfork out if we go backwards this year - success is not linear. Dees went top 4, missed finals and then a flag. I hope we make finals this year, but if don't make a prelim it doesn't mean Sayers etc are the wrong people. Judge the Club at the end of 2025, which is when I expect us to be polishing 17.
strong early contender for both poty & best first post - how you snagged that username is another noteworthy effort.......

Listening to scribes on SEN recently, it was highlighted how premiership winners by and large are very stable off field in the years they win the flag. Us having our president, CEO, coach, footy manager and high performance manager in settled positions bodes well according to them.

I dare not upset the apple cart right now.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back