Mega Thread The Port Store Mega Thread Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

I rate the jacket. I don't mind some of the graphic hoodies either honestly.

I think the throwbacks to Port Power lightning bolts SBS Guernseys work as a "retro" gimmick - we were Port Power back then in the same way VFL clubs like to trot out 80s mascots and stuff. I reckon it wouldn't really be an issue to anyone if we had achieved something else in the meantime but I can see where it feels a bit lame when that's really all we've got to celebrate, particularly as the AFL won't let us trot out our own pre-AFL gear as throwbacks.

Not to mention it looks like sh*t, too. Even the jacket.

But Port Power Est. 1997 so hype, no cap, fr fr, etc.
I could understand it if it was something we wore or a recreation of a shirt from our past, but this is just confected teal 90s stuff to appeal to a certain demographic. Mitchell & Ness is generally ok, but this is trash.

As someone who has several M&N t-shirts and jerseys, it's a no from me.

If they'd focused this more on Port and less on Power it might have worked better (for me personally). They could have remade the 90s silver Port jacket.

I could understand it if it was something we wore or a recreation of a shirt from our past, but this is just confected teal 90s stuff to appeal to a certain demographic. Mitchell & Ness is generally ok, but this is trash.

Why are you surprised if you're familiar with Mitchell & Ness? Most of what they do is throwback gear. It was always going to be 1990s and teal.

i'm not even that old, that stuff looks like s**t. Tacky as *. Looks like it is marketed to high schoolers though, so yes i am pretty old in comparison to that.
It's meant to be tacky, that's the point.

Kids these days love irony. The new balance shoes that I used to tease my old man about are cool now because they're so uncool that they're cool. Baggy Mum/Dad jeans are in. Undercuts/bowl cuts.

It's nightmarish but I'm a 90s dude so it's a bit of a throwback for me for when I peaked in high school

Overall my point is that the fact you don't like it is why they do.

The jacket sold out as quick as the Prison Bars. Clearly it's what the kids want

As someone who has several M&N t-shirts and jerseys, it's a no from me.

If they'd focused this more on Port and less on Power it might have worked better (for me personally). They could have remade the 90s silver Port jacket.
I've got the white M&N jumper (one from AFL shop) and love it.

It's miles better than any of the club produced trash

The Sack Hinkley Lifestyle Range.

Each scarf says Sack Hinkley on one side and then a different quote from the great man on the flip side.

'Finals are scary'

'Someone has to lose'

'Judge us after finals'

'Judge us on the whole season'

'I wouldn't change a thing'

'This is the best list I've ever had'
classic, thats cracked me up.

you're onto a winner there

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The Sack Hinkley Lifestyle Range.

Each scarf says Sack Hinkley on one side and then a different quote from the great man on the flip side.

'Finals are scary'

'Someone has to lose'

'Judge us after finals'

'Judge us on the whole season'

'I wouldn't change a thing'

'This is the best list I've ever had'

"If it's not real, throw it in the pool"

The Sack Hinkley Lifestyle Range has a new product.

On one side of the scarf it says "You get what you deserve" and on the other side it says "You don't always get what you deserve".

How lucky we are to have such a great orator as our inspiration.

Why are you surprised if you're familiar with Mitchell & Ness? Most of what they do is throwback gear. It was always going to be 1990s and teal.
I wouldn't say I'm surprised in what they've produced here given the context (it disappoints me we can't produce anything pre-1997, but that's another issue).

I just don't think these look that great (certainly when compared to the US sports M&N stuff I have), and as a separate issue I don't much like going us back to the Port Power branding we spent so long trying to get away from.

Anyway, I'm sure they'll sell well, it just isn't for me.

Ultimately the stuff that M&N do is perfect for us because nobody ever really liked the Power branding and it's only good in a kitsch nostalgia sense.

We should change to Pirates today.

I'll be indulging in this collection instead for that exact reason. Though obviously I will not be opting for the SA stuff (sorry guys).

That write-up by mitchellandness is a little off.

SA already held the official title after beating Victoria at the MCG in the final of the 1993 national championships.

It's meant to be tacky, that's the point.

Kids these days love irony. The new balance shoes that I used to tease my old man about are cool now because they're so uncool that they're cool. Baggy Mum/Dad jeans are in. Undercuts/bowl cuts.

It's nightmarish but I'm a 90s dude so it's a bit of a throwback for me for when I peaked in high school

Overall my point is that the fact you don't like it is why they do.

The jacket sold out as quick as the Prison Bars. Clearly it's what the kids want
I bet they didn’t sell as many as the prison bars.

That merch looks like the kind of stuff a person who wears a bike helmet to go grocery shopping would wear.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back