Workshop The Perfect GWS Guernsey

Remove this Banner Ad

GWS-logo-2012.gif

Image Source: http://www.footyjumpers.com

Greater Western Sydney, as we all ought to know, are the 18th team in the AFL. The general consensus on this board is that their guernsey isn't great, and certainly has room for improvement. In this thread, we will look at ways to improve their guernsey design so that we can make one that is more or less perfect.

To start with, I think it would be a bright idea to look at their current design and pick out the positives and negatives. This is their current design:

GWS-2012.gif

Image Source: http://www.footyjumpers.com

There are two notable features of this design - the heavy use of orange and the stylised 'G'. In my honest opinion, they have failed at executing both of these features. The orange looks too 'faded' and ought to be more like the orange we see in a Netherland's football kit. Additionally, the orange could have been used in a more 'complimentary' way so that it isn't the dominant feature of the design. I have no issue with the G itself, although I think it is in an awkward place, could be more centered.

Now it's your turn to pick apart the design. Tell us what you like and what you don't like. After this is done, we'll look at other "good" and "bad" guernsey designs, and pin-point what makes them as such, and see if we can apply this knowledge to the creation of a perfect GWS design.

1. Bolder, brighter orange
2. Back of the jumper charcoal
3. White number panel w/ orange above it and charcoal number

Think Fitzroy: orange jumper, charcoal yoke, charcoal G front and centre in the orange, white numbers on a charcoal/orange back. Sort of an odd blend of the two jumpers that GWS launched with.

And for those wondering about the orange - designs for GWS jumpers always seem to wash out the orange. The real thing in sunlight is a nice, bright colour.

4rcosy.png

Okay, I've just done a little mock up of what their guernsey would look like if it were charcoal dominated. To me, the charcoal back (slight recolouring of their clash guernsey's back) makes it look significantly better and more intimidating. This tells me the very heavy use of orange in their actual design is a :thumbsdown:.

What do you guys think?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

4rcosy.png

What do you guys think?

1e83sl.png

Fixed up the front so that it flowed with the back. Thoughts?

Love the first one, could you do a reversed version (charcoal for orange and vice versa)

Not much of a fan of the second (removing the G would improve it but conversely remove the identity that the club is going for).

4rcosy.png

What do you guys think?

1e83sl.png

Fixed up the front so that it flowed with the back. Thoughts?

Love the first one, could you do a reversed version (charcoal for orange and vice versa)

Not much of a fan of the second (removing the G would improve it but conversely remove the identity that the club is going for).

How can people seriously hate the orange?

It's a cool colour, and plenty of sports teams do it very well. It's also extremely bold and exclusive, and with the G, it creates a solid identity. In a growing market, that's extremely integral. The Suns have a meh logo, awful design, and boring colours... that's all forgettable. GWS have done the right thing, utilising colour and simplicity to create something bold.

If anything, I think there needs to be way more orange in their strip. Essee Cross, can you do me a favour? I like those two designs you did, so could you swap the charcoal and orange around?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back