The onward march of T20

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah, the other flaw with the Victorian proposal - which is all it is, IMO - is that it's just the Big Three thinking nobody else matters. It's all well and good for Nick Cummins to talk about Melbourne Stars playing Karachi Kings, but when the conversation will only between CA, BCCI and the ECB, well, do we reckon any PSL teams are getting invited?

If we want to see the best vs the best, you can do that in the T20WC.
What happened in the last couple of Champions League tournaments were the IPL sides who were already loaded, got the first nibbles on players , who overlapped with other franchises. It also helped alot that in a tournament with 3 IPL sides, that they got the added advantage of home 'country' conditions as well.

I remember one of the early champions league where the Scorchers lost all their big names to the IPL sides getting priority and trotted out a barely second XI strength team. I remember Keiron Pollard destroying Moises Henriques one match too, took him for something like 50 off two overs.

Th
I remember one of the early champions league where the Scorchers lost all their big names to the IPL sides getting priority and trotted out a barely second XI strength team. I remember Keiron Pollard destroying Moises Henriques one match too, took him for something like 50 off two overs.
Thats why I kind of give greater appreciation for NSW and Sydney Sixers for winning the Champs Leagues in the earlier years.

But its kind of crap turning up to the cricket and seeing the major stars side with one side. You generally want to see a contest where any side could get up on their day.

What qualifies as a T20 competition in this situation? I'm assuming it's the premier cricket league of each major country? So it's the IPL instead of the SMAT, the SA20 over the CSA T20, etc. But what's the go with England? T20 Blast or the Hundred? Because if they go with the T20 Blast winner, the other countries should be sending their domestic T20 teams. And not all countries use the Franchise Model, NZ still use their domestic set up, whilst Australia and England have created new teams for their premier T20 competition.

Another thing to consider the the UEFA CL has in place is that the same owner cannot hold multiple positions within the UEFACL Knock-Out stage. At the rate is going, the franchises are all gonna be owned by the same few owners

I am all for players having to stick to their home team before being in for consideration as internationals for other franchises. The question will come though with for example, Red Chillies owns Kolkata, Los Angeles, Trinbago and Abu Dhabi. Say Trinbago don't qualify and Abu Dhabi and Los Angeles do, who do Sunil Narine and Andre Russell get selected for? Will management look to stack a team or divide and conquer.

Also what happens to players that qualify for multiple teams that have different owners. For example, Trent Boult with Rajasthan Royals and MI Emirates / New York? Is it a matter of who can pay them more?

The teams would be :
Indian Premier League (India)
Pakistan Super League (Pakistan)
The Hundred (England) - not a T20 League
Big Bash League (Australia)
SuperSmash (New Zealand)
Caribbean Premier League (West Indies)
Lankan Premier League (Sri Lanka)
Bangladesh Premier League (Bangladesh)
Zimbabwe Domestic T20 Competition (Zimbabwe) - this was won by Durham (Eng) this year though
Shpageeza Cricket League (Afghanistan) - was not contested in 2023
Inter-Provincial Trophy (Ireland)

Possibly have a Play-In Tournament for some of the associate nations
Major League Cricket (USA)
International League T20 (UAE)
Global T20 Canada (Canada)
Nepal T20 League (Nepal) - was not contested in 2023
Hong Kong Premier League (Hong Kong)
Scotland and the Netherlands have club competitions, however would think that once/if the Euro T20 Slam gets up and running, take a side from there.
And there are other competitions run places like Oman and Namibia and Kenya and other smaller nations. They would need to be considered as well.

Last edited:
If we wanted to watch international cricketers play T20 cricket against each other couldn't we just watch international T20s of which there are absolutely heaps of?

This match?

Henriques and NSW had the last laugh in the end as they ended up beating T&T in the final. Despite his 1/49 in the above match, Henriques was the 2nd leading wicket taker for the tournament with 10 wickets @ 11.6.

This match?

Henriques and NSW had the last laugh in the end as they ended up beating T&T in the final. Despite his 1/49 in the above match, Henriques was the 2nd leading wicket taker for the tournament with 10 wickets @ 11.6.
T&T essentially a West Indies mid-late 2000s international team there.

Hot on the heels of the now retired Dean Elgar bemoaning the lack of Test Cricket being played by South Africa, Kagiso Rabada has expressed his disappointment at the situation that saw him and many of his compatriots miss out on South Africa's tour of New Zealand in February: https://www.espncricinfo.com/story/kagiso-rabada-on-sa20-clash-with-south-africa-s-test-tour-of-new-zealand-it-is-like-shooting-yourself-in-the-foot-1427739

We also have David Wiese suggesting that franchise cricket could be approaching saturation point.

Last edited:
I honestly can't get into T20 cricket, I look at the scorecards to see how the Aussies are going and no surprise there all struggling.

Abit surprised Starc has stunk the kitchen out though, generally goes all right at T20's.

Veteran NRL journalist and Peter V'landys sycophant Phil Rothfield writes a gossip column in Queensland and NSW News Corp papers that goes online at about 6pm on a Saturday and it's the following morning's paper. In this column, ''Buzz'' reveals his 'saint' of the week, his sinner of the week as well as some 'shoosh' items hinting at a big story coming up and who got spotted out and about.

In one of his 'spotted' segments, he mentioned that Michael Holding was asked about why he doesn't commentate on T20 cricket and how the great man responded with ''I only commentate on cricket''. The only problem for ''Buzz'' is that Holding made those comments about T20 back in late June 2021.

Forget about Sandra Sully with the late news, it's Phil Rothfield with the late news!

Last edited:
Veteran NRL journalist and Peter V'landys sycophant Phil Rothfield writes a gossip column in Queensland and NSW News Corp papers that goes online at about 6pm on a Saturday and it's the following morning's paper. In this column, ''Buzz'' reveals his 'saint' of the week, his sinner of the week as well as some 'shoosh' items hinting at a big story coming up and who got spotted out and about. In one of his 'spotted' segments, he mentioned that Michael Holding was asked about why he doesn't commentate on T20 cricket and how the great man said ''I only commentate on cricket''. The only problem for ''Buzz'' is that Holding made those comments about T20 back in late June 2021.

Forget about Sandra Sully with the late news, it's Phil Rothfield with the late news!
for whatever reason, this quote from Holding appeared in my Facebook feed last week.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I just can't believe there would be fixing in the Lanka Premier League, the CPL and the Abu Dhabi T10.
So betting agencies have been advised by ICC and CA that they aren’t able to allow Live Betting on the LPL due to suspicions on games being fixed. This story would probably make betting harder for the punters in the future

So betting agencies have been advised by ICC and CA that they aren’t able to allow Live Betting on the LPL due to suspicions on games being fixed. This story would probably make betting harder for the punters in the future
A shame. Live betting with constantly updated odds would make T20 a lot more entertaining.

ILT20 set for 11 JAN to 09 FEB
BPL already for 01 JAN to 11 FEB
CT25 already for sometime in FEB
Dates for the BBL and SA20 yet to be determined
- The SA20 will start after the NYs test, so after 07 JAN

The PSL and IPL are set to clash next year

The MLC this year is 5 JUL to 28 JUL
The Hundred is 23 JUL to 18 AUG
The CPL is 29 AUG to 06 OCT

Ian Chappell, of all people, should understand that more sixes makes it less like baseball, not more.

The article is just grab-bag of "old man yells at cloud" stuff - players might get bored in the field? Really, Ian?

For young and emerging players, sure. One of the joys about bowling fast is being able to hurt and frighten batters - height restrictions, dead pitches, big bats and small boundaries takes that out of the game. So, why would you bother?

Cricket has always favoured batters, T20 ridiculously so. He's not the first to note that when sixes become as common as singles, they're not really special anymore.

The Indian crowds seem to get excited by it but it always good to look to history. You know what killed the era of gladiators in Rome (a sport where it really was life and death)? Spectators got bored.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back