Prediction The next step: 2017 edition!

Who is going to take the next step in 2017?

• Aaron Francis

Votes: 11 27.5%
  • Michael Hartley

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Kyle Langford

Votes: 19 47.5%
  • Jayden Laverde

Votes: 4 10.0%
  • Jake Long

• Anthony McDonald - Tippungwuti

• Conor McKenna

Votes: 3 7.5%
  • Darcy Parish

• Mason Redman

• James Stewart

Votes: 1 2.5%
  • OTHER - explain why

Votes: 2 5.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

May 6, 2007
South East Suburbs
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspurs, Melbourne Vixen
With the off season done and dusted, time to look to the future and see which young player/fringe 22 will cement themselves in the top 15 players by seasons end.

A few very, very good candidates and some controversy by leaving a couple of guys out, but here are my candidates.

(qualification - under 25 games)

Aaron Francis (3 games) - The big red head could be anything. Where do we settle him though? Is he versatile enough to play next to Hooker and Daniher? Has been training there. With his favoritism in the NAB Rising Star award, the pundits certainly think he can go from fringe 22 to entrenched inside.

Michael Hartley (19 games) - With the options now available to us, Hartley should certainly flourish. He should cement himself as one of our keystones to the back 6 and alongside Hurley form an impenetrable duo.

Kyle Langford (25 games) - So much talk about Fyfe and Langford wanting to become him. Langers can just be himself and dominate wherever he plays. Be it forward, back or floating through the middle like he did with aplomb at times. He is one guy I am genuinely torn about starting in the 22 or leaving as depth with so many similar types around on the list.

Jayden Laverde (18 games) - A really polarising player is Jayden. Could be anything but has only flashed glimpses. Has so many physical attributes that screams AFL player and with a clear run at it, could be just that. At the moment, I personally have him just outside the 22.

Anthony McDonald - Tipungwuti (21 games) - A fan favourite and one guy I see cementing his spot in the 22. Still unsure whether that is forward or back but at the moment, he will be there.

Conor McKenna (14 games) - Came out of no where last year and his upward trajectory has impressed many of us. Could be the wildcard on the list with how rapid he has picked up the game.

Darcy Parish (20 games) - Our little tyro could well be anything. Too Vanilla they said. Try telling him that. 4th in the rising star and the ability to hit the scoreboard. He just adds to our ever growing depth in our midfield.

James Stewart (14 games) - This is the key to our success or failure imho. Could he come in and be a 3rd tall fwd alongside Hooker and Joey or will he flounder away in the 2's? With so much depth on the list now, he could very well have an early opportunity to cement himself I'd say.

Mason Redman (3 games) - The little Ginger surprised many last year when he debuted and did not look out of place. With so many guys battling for his position, he'll likely spend another year developing in the 2's.

Jake Long (3 games) - A big year for Jake. When he played, flashed brilliance we could not deny and has 'that' something about him. Still unsure on his best position (HBF, Wing, HFF) but will be given every opportunity again you would imagine.

----
PSA: should you wish to vote for a guy not on the list, the guys not listed (ie. new draftees) have no exposed form at the top level hence not battling for a position. Should you wish to vote for them, click "other" and explain why you think so.
----

For the record, really think that Kyle Langford is set to take the next step. With a year in the midfield, he will only get better being the 2nd or 3rd guy in the rotations. With his ability to hit the scoreboard (9/17 games he kicked goals) he gives us versatility to play fwd or midfield.

The other guy I feel is to watch out for, is Michael Hartley. With better players around him, the cannon should really be able to solidify one of the key posts and pair up beautifully with Michael Hurley.

So many options and I certainly do think that all will take the next step into the right direction. I think Langford and Laverde will look to cement their spot in our best 22, but I'll give it a year before these two well and truly breakout. Langford may well have had his breakout game vs Carlton round 23 this year. He was immense.

I feel like we are going to be the most impressed by Francis and Walla. These two will the big fan favourites IMO. Francis is favourite to take out the rising star and I think that he is more than capable of doing so. Pretty excited to be honest.

Probably the most talented Essendon list that I have ever seen.

Hartley and Walla already a lock for best 22 and are about 23/24. Not really crystal ball stuff including them.

I like a lot of these kids, but it's going to be tough going getting games for many of them. If Francis , McKenna and/or Stewart are the guys breaking out this year, that will only mean exceptional things for our club.

If I'm to guess, I'm on my man Laverde.

Hartley and Walla already a lock for best 22 and are about 23/24. Not really crystal ball stuff including them.

I like a lot of these kids, but it's going to be tough going getting games for many of them. If Francis , McKenna and/or Stewart are the guys breaking out this year, that will only mean exceptional things for our club.

If I'm to guess, I'm on my man Laverde.

Yeah, probably shouldn't have included Hartley and Walla. Uh well.

As weird as this sounds Zac Merritt. Seems having a break out year and winning the B&F seems not to be enough for the young fella who is looking to take another two or three steps. :thumbsu:

Love to see Longy take a big step, Francis may need another season to get really going, & the two L's, gee who knows how good either could be, there's been glimpses so hanging out to see what they bring next year.

So many options and I certainly do think that all will take the next step into the right direction. I think Langford and Laverde will look to cement their spot in our best 22, but I'll give it a year before these two well and truly breakout. Langford may well have had his breakout game vs Carlton round 23 this year. He was immense.

I feel like we are going to be the most impressed by Francis and Walla. These two will the big fan favourites IMO. Francis is favourite to take out the rising star and I think that he is more than capable of doing so. Pretty excited to be honest.

Probably the most talented Essendon list that I have ever seen.
Love the optimism but odds are a few will go backwards.

I'm not sold on Langford. Can't quite put my finger on it. Seems like he often misses the run on the play. Hope I'm proven wrong.

Parish for me. Big bodies around him and another pre season under his belt.

I'd love it to be McKenna; a running half-back type role seems to suit him and he was gaining in confidence with continuity. That and I love the way JJ plays so want our own Irish version!

I think Parish will be good but will see reduced midfield minutes with the older bodies back so might not start to see the best of him until a few retirements after the end of 2017.

Redman and Long look like they need another year or so, Francis is a bit of an unknown but I'd like to think by the end of 2017 he's holding down a spot in the team somewhere, but needing another year or so to really get going.

Stewart, Langford and Laverde are all around the right age to start having more impact as well, so I'd hope they lock themselves in the team come mid-late 2017.

I'm not sold on Langford. Can't quite put my finger on it. Seems like he often misses the run on the play. Hope I'm proven wrong.

I just went on Langford based mainly on that rd 23 game against Carlton. 14 disposals, 9 marks, 3 goals 2 behinds and 5 tackles. Considering he was fairly skinny in 2016 (191cm 80kg) each preseason he does will make a big difference.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No matter who you select here, it's a tough call all round.

We had so many players take their big step last year, it's going to be interesting to see who can give any more than they did in a better side.

For depth, we're in a great spot. But from the list above, I feel that McKenna, Redman and Long as a minimum will get little 1st 22 football in 2017.

Interesting year ahead :)

Langford would be the favourite for me. He was in and out of the team in his second year but I think physically he will be ready to go playing a mixture of forward and mid next year. Reckon he will move up to a level approximately similar to Fantasia in 2016 (obviously very different players). I think his aim should be 20-20-20. 20+ games 20+ poss avg and 20+ goals.

Francis probably has the highest potential to improve but I'm still a bit skeptical that he will have the fitness levels to do it in 2017. Think he will turn it on at times and will be regularly in our AFL side if he can remain injury free but will have quiet games as well. I'm not convinced his body will let him get a full season worth of games to remain in the running for rising star.

Tippa - I think if he gets a big preseason and improves that tank - well he could be anything next year. If he could get to a level where he could split his time between the wing and forward line then he could be absolutely lethal. Either way he will be a quality player for us next year.

Parish - I expect to be similar to this year. Normally players that perform really well in their first year don't normally massively elevate their level until their 3rd year.

Redman - I think will improve significantly but the team will be too hard for him to crack initially. Maybe towards the end of the season may get some chances.

Long - I think we might see an end of season surge similar to McKenna this year. Don't expect him to play round 1. Does have great versatility which will open up more opportunities for him if he plays well enough at VFL level.

McKenna - I like him a lot but I don't see him in the team round 1 unless he significantly improves. Will be battling against McGrath, Kelly, Goddard, Gleeson, Tippa, Long etc for a spot down back. If he can improve the positions he can play at AFL level (particularly as a small forward then his chances are better).

With Langford, he did start like that but towards the end of the season he started to get better and that rd 23 effort against the scum and the shape he has come back in is enough to give us a sense of excitement.

The other thing, last year the kids did well not to drop their heads but considering we have higher expectations there is the risk that if we lose a few, we could see a few start to drop their heads, this is why the first month will be extra important.

Langford would be the favourite for me. He was in and out of the team in his second year but I think physically he will be ready to go playing a mixture of forward and mid next year. Reckon he will move up to a level approximately similar to Fantasia in 2016 (obviously very different players). I think his aim should be 20-20-20. 20+ games 20+ poss avg and 20+ goals.

Francis probably has the highest potential to improve but I'm still a bit skeptical that he will have the fitness levels to do it in 2017. Think he will turn it on at times and will be regularly in our AFL side if he can remain injury free but will have quiet games as well. I'm not convinced his body will let him get a full season worth of games to remain in the running for rising star.

Tippa - I think if he gets a big preseason and improves that tank - well he could be anything next year. If he could get to a level where he could split his time between the wing and forward line then he could be absolutely lethal. Either way he will be a quality player for us next year.

Parish - I expect to be similar to this year. Normally players that perform really well in their first year don't normally massively elevate their level until their 3rd year.

Redman - I think will improve significantly but the team will be too hard for him to crack initially. Maybe towards the end of the season may get some chances.

Long - I think we might see an end of season surge similar to McKenna this year. Don't expect him to play round 1. Does have great versatility which will open up more opportunities for him if he plays well enough at VFL level.

McKenna - I like him a lot but I don't see him in the team round 1 unless he significantly improves. Will be battling against McGrath, Kelly, Goddard, Gleeson, Tippa, Long etc for a spot down back. If he can improve the positions he can play at AFL level (particularly as a small forward then his chances are better).

One thing that is bleedi gly obvious (re Francis) is that he perform to a small/medium sized playets capabilities despite being genuine KPP status now.

Back