Matildas The Matildas Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

USA, Germany and an African team TBC in the Olympics. Oof.

USA and Germany aren't near the best at the moment, but both will go in fav against us surely. Given the hype around the Matildas I feel like there is an expectation of a medal. But realistically we are probably the 7th best team of the 12 which is where we are seeded.

The Mexico player on the right side hasn't been able to handle Foord's shimmys and changes of direction.

Last edited:
Good second half by the Matildas creating lots of chances, maybe some fatigue errors near the end showed up some vulnerabilities that Mexico couldn't exploit.

In the first half I thought the Matildas were able to pass it around and found themselves in space in the midfield but the next pass always seemed to go backwards and then sideways again which lead to a lack of penetration into dangerous positions inside the penalty box.

For the 90 minutes I liked Carpenter who ran all game won some ball and was always on the attack; Kennedy made some telling passes and was strong with defensive headers, and Foord was just too good for her opponent when she was out on the left until Mexico made a change after she scored a classy goal.

Maybe could have subbed Van Egmond for Sayer for the last 15 minutes.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back