The IC has been pushed back... again... to 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

BigBrainUSA

Debutant
May 2, 2017
AFL Club
Hawthorn
The teams have been told as such as I write this, per a couple of players who have posted to social media. I am awaiting a statement from the AFL as to the exact reasons why. EDIT: Statement here.

My guess would be some combination of:
  • COVID still possibly affecting travel to the point where making a call this far out is appropriate
  • Team and player resources being decimated to the point where a sustainable competition is not feasible
  • A clash with the Women's World Cup, which would be held around the same time that IC would be

I'll post more info when I get it.

Last edited:
The teams have been told as such as I write this, per a couple of players who have posted to social media. I am awaiting a statement from the AFL as to the exact reasons why. EDIT: Statement here.

My guess would be some combination of:
  • COVID still possibly affecting travel to the point where making a call this far out is appropriate

If that was the case then it was a poor call as travel has returned to almost normal, except for prices.

• Team and player resources being decimated to the point where a sustainable competition is not feasible

Some smaller countries are still rebuilding but then the I.C. now tends to be capped to the stronger.
  • A clash with the Women's World Cup, which would be held around the same time that IC would be

I don't know how it would clash.

I'll post more info when I get it.

It doesn't matter what the reasons were. The decision has been made.
IMO, with the absolute absence of promotion of the I.C. other competitions will become more popular.
The U.S.A.F.L. Nationals are a big event for example.
How much would it take to form a national league based play-offs from the various regional premiers ?

If that was the case then it was a poor call as travel has returned to almost normal, except for prices.

Hindsight is 20/20 (no pun intended). In April, there was no definitive vision in terms of when everything would return to normal. But cost would still be a factor an require a significant amount of money.

Some smaller countries are still rebuilding but then the I.C. now tends to be capped to the stronger.
Conservatively, I'm guessing that there were probably enough middle-range countries to where having a good sized field would still be an issue.

I don't know how it would clash.

The WWC is been between July 20-August 20. The IC would've probably have been between the 5th and 19th of August. The WWC is being hosted (partially) in Australia. Attention to women's soccer is pretty high in Australia at the moment, especially the Matildas. In an environment where the IC is already buried under everything else, this would sink it lower.

It doesn't matter what the reasons were. The decision has been made.
IMO, with the absolute absence of promotion of the I.C. other competitions will become more popular.
The U.S.A.F.L. Nationals are a big event for example.
How much would it take to form a national league based play-offs from the various regional premiers ?

The only thing comparable out there at the moment at the global level are the two tournaments played with bastardized rules on rugby pitches between teams of people living in Australia that are either temporarily living abroad or who have some sort of first or second generation connection to the country they are purported to represent.

At the regional level, you have the Euro Cup and Asia Cup. There's also the Transatlantic Cup, which should be finalized soon. There's a bunch of club tournaments out there, aside from Nationals.

To answer your question, unless there is a massive influx of money to support a proper league, something like what you're suggesting won't happen for the foreseeable future. In addition, the "open" format of Nationals isn't conducive for a qualification process to cap the number of teams. Many players plan their vacations and financials around Nationals months in advance, and that helps us get the numbers we do. I think the Nats committee has done a good job of rewarding teams for their play during the season and bringing numbers.

In April, there was no definitive vision in terms of when everything would return to normal. But cost would still be a factor an require a significant amount of money.

Projections were looking good then. Initially there were some discounts to encourage travel
but that soon swung to expensive flights as airlines try to recoup losses.

Conservatively, I'm guessing that there were probably enough middle-range countries to where having a good sized field would still be an issue.

In my experience, finding a park or field suitable to practice 18-a-sdie is not an issue
getting a national side together to train however would be.
The Canadians divide it into West and East groups.

Attention to women's soccer is pretty high in Australia at the moment,

In the media maybe.
However it's extremely laughable to say crowds/attendances will be affected in any way at the I.C.
under prevailing circumstances.

The only thing comparable out there at the moment at the global level are the two tournaments played with bastardized rules on rugby pitches between teams of people living in Australia that are either temporarily living abroad or who have some sort of first or second generation connection to the country they are purported to represent.

Nobody seriously pays any attention to that rugby league concept of qualification.
I don't know why you would mention this non-event.
However there are up and coming regional tournaments with great potential
and totally overshadow that event that you mentioned.

At the regional level, you have the Euro Cup and Asia Cup. There's also the Transatlantic Cup, which should be finalized soon. There's a bunch of club tournaments out there, aside from Nationals.

Plus championship tournaments.

To answer your question, unless there is a massive influx of money to support a proper league, something like what you're suggesting won't happen for the foreseeable future.

So you're saying that playoffs between four teams is way beyond the resources of the USAFL
and the USAFL sees no cost benefit in establishing a national league to pay for the extra three games?

In addition, the "open" format of Nationals isn't conducive for a qualification process to cap the number of teams. Many players plan their vacations and financials around Nationals months in advance, and that helps us get the numbers we do. I think the Nats committee has done a good job of rewarding teams for their play during the season and bringing numbers.

The Nationals are indeed very successful and I didn't mention substituting a national league for Nationals did I.
The worse case scenario would be incorporating the games of the national league in the Nationals.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back