Music The Hangar Music Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

so, i'm a giant music nerd, if i'm not focusing on work and teaching (or sleeping) i'm usually listening to some form of music or another, so here's an incomplete and inconsistent list of my favourite 100 albums. topsters2 (1).png
it's pretty varied genre wise, but there's a lot of stuff in it for everyone, though i'd caution listening to "The Rita - Lake Depths Lurker" and "Goat - Goat's Holy Mountain" as they're very, very harsh noise. it's a genre that i find difficult and almost hard to get into but if you can stomach the harshness (duh) of it, it's really quite special.

According to my very good mental arithmetic - of the overarching genres (i won't go into subgenres because that's too nerdy)

there is: 12 rap albums, 15 metal albums, 9 punk albums, 16 "alternative" albums, 23 electronic albums, 6 pop albums, 8 rock albums, 7 noise albums and 4 jazz albums.
I say "alternative" as a descriptor because it's a good catchall term for music like "illusion (fern lake)" by candy claws off their album "ceres and calypso in the deep time" which doesn't fit into any general archetype of the genres that i included. of these general genres, a lot of them could be considered a mixture of genres.

for any of the metal heads out there, i'd recommend exploring Boris' discography, they have a pretty broad expanse of music that IS released on most streaming platforms. Pink (number 12) is probably the best starting point, though for some reason they start the album with the incorrect song, but the entirety is great. there IS a language barrier as the band is from japan but they're great. another great one* to check out is chat pile if you're a fan of sludge metal/hardcore metal. very heavy, very almost violent sound. i love em.
I suppose the only musical outlier here is "Imperfect Hatred" by heaven pierce her, also known as hakita, which is a video game soundtrack (the game is great, but i wouldn't think it's for everyone, it's called ultrakill and it's one of my current favourites). it's a blend of a sort of hardcore EDM that you'd expect from someone like Atari Teenage Riot as well as traditional metal and drone. it's pretty good as a standalone product but compared to a lot of video game music (which is pretty s**t in my opinion) it's amazing.

i could talk more and more and more but i think i should start cooking dinner

*E: realised i forgot to include another band for metal (it's bolded)

Last edited:
so, i'm a giant music nerd, if i'm not focusing on work and teaching (or sleeping) i'm usually listening to some form of music or another, so here's an incomplete and inconsistent list of my favourite 100 albums. View attachment 1813350
it's pretty varied genre wise, but there's a lot of stuff in it for everyone, though i'd caution listening to "The Rita - Lake Depths Lurker" and "Goat - Goat's Holy Mountain" as they're very, very harsh noise. it's a genre that i find difficult and almost hard to get into but if you can stomach the harshness (duh) of it, it's really quite special.

According to my very good mental arithmetic - of the overarching genres (i won't go into subgenres because that's too nerdy)

there is: 12 rap albums, 15 metal albums, 9 punk albums, 16 "alternative" albums, 23 electronic albums, 6 pop albums, 8 rock albums, 7 noise albums and 4 jazz albums.
I say "alternative" as a descriptor because it's a good catchall term for music like "illusion (fern lake)" by candy claws off their album "ceres and calypso in the deep time" which doesn't fit into any general archetype of the genres that i included. of these general genres, a lot of them could be considered a mixture of genres.

for any of the metal heads out there, i'd recommend exploring Boris' discography, they have a pretty broad expanse of music that IS released on most streaming platforms. Pink (number 12) is probably the best starting point, though for some reason they start the album with the incorrect song, but the entirety is great. there IS a language barrier as the band is from japan but they're great. another great one if you're a fan of sludge metal/hardcore metal. very heavy, very almost violent sound. i love em.
I suppose the only musical outlier here is "Imperfect Hatred" by heaven pierce her, also known as hakita, which is a video game soundtrack (the game is great, but i wouldn't think it's for everyone, it's called ultrakill and it's one of my current favourites). it's a blend of a sort of hardcore EDM that you'd expect from someone like Atari Teenage Riot as well as traditional metal and drone. it's pretty good as a standalone product but compared to a lot of video game music (which is pretty s**t in my opinion) it's amazing.

i could talk more and more and more but i think i should start cooking dinner
bookmarked

a lot i dont know on there

Electric Wizard though!
very much my jam

bookmarked

a lot i dont know on there

Electric Wizard though!
very much my jam
there's a lot but i wouldn't recommend all of it to anyone, i'm happy to provide some recommendations though if you're keen

and i love electric wizard, i can't remember how i found them but i know it was the start of "weird tales" and all of their music has clicked for me, it's perfectly heavy in every way

mcgrath_truther I love a nerdy music list (need to do it myself one day). An unexpected number 1. I'm a hiphop fan and had never heard of it!
lil ugly mane certainly isn't for anyone, but if you're familiar with the memphis hiphop sound (think of like three 6 mafia or blackout) it'll be up your alley, there's a lot of experimental stuff that he's done but he's a great musician. his most recent release is a world away from the sound of mista thug isolation, though. it took a while for me to really get into it but i can appreciate an artist taking a different direction and trying something new.

i've always liked rap but generally there's a specific sound that i like, the sound that outkast (specifically early outkast like ATLians) has always been a good listen for me. i know i didn't include any of his but i really, really like a lot of denzel curry's music. i've been listening to him for well over a decade now and i'd say that a lot of what comes out has been generally fantastic.

there's a lot but i wouldn't recommend all of it to anyone, i'm happy to provide some recommendations though if you're keen

and i love electric wizard, i can't remember how i found them but i know it was the start of "weird tales" and all of their music has clicked for me, it's perfectly heavy in every way
i stumble through via spotify artist links

they came up after an All Them Witches rabbit hole i think
them or Gojira. but i think the former.
i love stoner/doom rock....stuff that is Sabbath of today. big heavy noisy crushing walls of sound

a top 100 would be hard.

i stumble through via spotify artist links

they came up after an All Them Witches rabbit hole i think
them or Gojira. but i think the former.
i love stoner/doom rock....stuff that is Sabbath of today. big heavy noisy crushing walls of sound

a top 100 would be hard.
it probably popped up on my discover weekly years ago but i can't remember for the life of me. i think realistically i listened to dopesmoker (by sleep), and eventually stumbled upon electric wizard and kyuss, while different sounds respective of each other, both do a great job of making heavy stoner metal/rock

it probably popped up on my discover weekly years ago but i can't remember for the life of me. i think realistically i listened to dopesmoker (by sleep), and eventually stumbled upon electric wizard and kyuss, while different sounds respective of each other, both do a great job of making heavy stoner metal/rock
check out All them Witches.
not as heavy but bring the same energy.

lil ugly mane certainly isn't for anyone,
I'm 4 tracks in. Gives me a modern Kool G rap vibe. Can't go wrong there!

My top 2 all timers are Madvillan - "Madvilliany" and Edan - "Beauty and the Beat".

And while I'm on the subject, I released an EP with a rapper from the UK which i reckon you might like.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm 4 tracks in. Gives me a modern Kool G rap vibe. Can't go wrong there!

My top 2 all timers are Madvillan - "Madvilliany" and Edan - "Beauty and the Beat".

And while I'm on the subject, I released an EP with a rapper from the UK which i reckon you might like.

this was pretty good! i had a decent laugh during the last track with the, *in "oh s**t, i'm sorry" sample. very, very good stuff

Remove this Banner Ad

Back