Autopsy The good, the bad and the oh dear v St Kilda

Remove this Banner Ad

We need another CHF TALL

Oh wait, we have one

Chom

Robbing Peter to pay Paul
And then for paul to rob Pablo when Chom shits the bed in front of goal.

He won 1v1s today that any other defender would have pissed their pants and given away frees

We were -25 inside 50s against the side in 14th.

If they kicked straighter it would have been an 8 or 9 goal loss.
Once again, we conceded at least five goals more than what a side averages.

Farcical.

He won 1v1s today that any other defender would have pissed their pants and given away frees
Yep, he’s a far better defender.

Spot on - shocking effort after the Wardlaw smother. But also his workrate off the ball is atrocious. It only takes one player not to man up or work back and he's regularly the laggard. Happy to see him go.
That was rank. Also when we worked so hard to get the ball up the wing from D50 and Bailey Scott kicked a neat pass and Cam just waited for it while his man ran from behind to outmark.

The most concerning aspect of all this is that the one part of the ground we've gone all chips in during this rebuild is the area we arguably have the most problems. That being the midfield.
IMO, it’s a set up issue.

We've found one with Comben at CHB. I wouldn't be moving him. Find someone else to be the grunt at CHF.

Sent from my SM-A908B using Tapatalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

2. Our decision making is ed. We have two good passages of rebound handball a game. We are constantly trying to go fast and don’t have the capacity to be patient when we need to. Too often we make *** horrific decisions on the basis of going quick, then when we wait we kick down the line. Need to really just take our time and go side to side until we can rip the cord up the middle or hard forward.
Xerri wins a free just forward of centre, dishes it off to Sheez without looking up or thinking and Sheez (love him, but even the best mistakes) kicks a lazy 10 metre check side into space vaguely near a North player and what should have been a deep forward entry is rebounded.

I went to the pub TAB before the game to place a few bets, had my North cap on, and a few Saint's fans were letting me know how good Phillipou and Owens were, compared our youngsters, i laughed and said don't think so, after the game, my opinion has not changed, as they were both practically invisible for the entire game.

If we play with that intent of the last quarter….good…that’s the baseline moving fwd….
On reflection with the radio playing and tv on mute…l couldn’t help but think…geez there’s a lot of our kids names being called regularly…..and the excitement they had when George when hunting….think he’ll be topic of the game / week….
But l think we got a snapshot at which players are up to it….it matters and which ones are happy to flash in do some work or walk off quietly into the night…..
We hit the draft and bring in more quality kids…..

It was a better performance today, but a poor second quarter cost us any chance. We are still too porous through the middle and gave away too many uncontested marks, but thanks to the Saints slow gameplan they didn't really punish us like a few other teams have done in recent weeks.

• Wardlaw was amazing today, that was one of the best performances I've seen from a North player for some time, his willingness to make a second, third and fourth effort is something I hope his teammates will follow.
  • I know Archer ran out the game, but he looked a little propy, I hope his injury isn't too serious and he can get a strong run of games going because despite that one error he was very good today.
  • Xerri has his moments and works hard but he is frustrating to watch, coming into this game he was 3rd in AFL for hitouts, but I think he is probably 17th or 18th for hitouts to advantage. The amount of hitouts that either land at his feet or go directly to an opponent are mindblowing, his clearance and tackling numbers are greater than Goldstein's ever were, but that is because Goldie was an elite tap ruckmen who was excellent at finding a teammate, whereas Xerri couldn't find a teammate if everyone in the middle was wearing Royal Blue and White. I think he is a liability and the primary major reason our midfield is struggling.
  • Sheezel spent most of the game in the middle and looked good, but uncharacteristically for him, he did miss a few targets, but overall, with his performance and Wardlaw's we did look better in the middle than past weeks.
  • I think it may be time to move McKercher out of the backline and on to a wing, he has speed, is creative and is a beautiful kick, I'd like to see him in a more attacking role and where he can be more dangerous.
  • Pink only played a quarter in the forward line, but I thought he did pretty well and offered more of a contest than Sellers and CCJ in early rounds. It may not be his natural position, but he could be worth persisting with for a 4/5 weeks.

Some positives:
  • Phenomenal game from Wardlaw
  • Best game from defenders as a group despite the flood of i50s and free St Kilda ball movement (Corr, McDonald, Archer and Comben all strong in one on ones)
  • McKercher continuing to build beautifully but would love him to play full time wing
  • Simpkin seemed to turn the corner a bit in the 4th quarter
  • Pink showed promise as a forward to support Larkey

Great that we gave Sheezel the opportunity of a whole game of midfield but think we are better served him staying in his traditional role with pinch hits up the ground. If we replaced fishers role with Sheezel today it could have made a pretty significant difference. Where that leaves Fisher I don’t know - but his turnovers killed us today.
Fisher sux hopelessly one sided cat

How brilliant was Wardlaw today! guys just a freak... and oh my god... that crunch... full on. Cunners would be proud.

Today I take that loss as a good loss. Today I finally saw a twinkle of light at the end of a 2-3 year long tunnel. And it was all the kids. They are really all quite good , have the skills and can actually nail a target. We just need them to develop their tanks.
Durrsma is just a bit off. He cant seem to read the flight of the ball perfectly yet and is always running under it. That or he is outmanoeuvred early with the body work because he is still so light. Or he is playing out of position (but he's a bit like mccercher and its a best fit for now sort of scenario.)
I like Drurys speed and intention. Hes obviously trying to fill our pressure forward slot.
Corr absolutely smashed King today. And was giving him plenty of roughing up off the ball. Obviously King is a little fragile.
Xerri needs to carry an egg around for a week like a school homework assignment and learn the ability to have soft hands with the tap. If he can nail that he could be excellent. He either drops it to the ground for the opposition, takes it himself or smashes it into the chest of one of our mids which is ricochets off to the opposition. Or smashes it wide to the opposition. If we can get our clearance work sorted things will happen!.
Lower our eyes. Hit up an easier target thats made separation. Do an uncontested chippy game. The bombing is horrible, we arent even ready for it, always outnumbered and is just relying us causing another a stoppage and so forth and so forth till it takes us up the ground.
Once again the senior ring ins fluff it. Fisher and Tucker just turnover merchants. Hear I am watching them hit up beautifully on the chest to a player in warm up, only for the space jam aliens to come in and take over their bodies when the whistle blows.
Hill and Wanganeen Milera just ran and sliced through us constantly all day. Dunno who was ever on them. kept looking for an opponent and no one was near them.
But seriously St Kilda, you are full of grown ass strong men and these skinny lightweight kids were in arms length. you guys should be ashamed. No where near finals contenders .

So sorry for the long spiel but I actually think that mightve been our best game (besides that freo half) for the year. Wardlaw and Sheezel carried us hard and probably have to sleep for 48hrs. and I like to think that just like every other year, it just takes us around 10 rounds to realise what intensity is needed to be at AFL level.

Larkey was poor to begin with, but I thought putting him in to the ruck gave us a tall who could follow up and set up our midfielders with handball. A stark contrast to Xerri. We looked a lot better around the ball with Larkey in there. For a leader who is toiling away in the forward 50 loss after loss, this might be a good move to bring Nick into the game more and to provide leadership in the middle.

Our best passages of play involved Sheezel, Wardlaw and McKercher. It looked like they had taken upon themselves to provide our team with some spark. This is their team now.

Corr was solid and got some confidence back after today. Got in better positions to mark or spoil. Thought the backline as a whole looked solid today and could build on today. Comben, McDonald, Archer, Hardeman were all putting in the effort.

I also liked Shiels around the footy. Didn’t have the best game, but is a steady head.

We were beaten in midfield transition. Something isn’t quite right there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Remove this Banner Ad

Back