Rumour The dynasty is gaining momentum

Remove this Banner Ad

I used to think De Boer all the way, but now I'm sort of thinking that he might be one of the players pushed out by Sutcliffe/Crozier/Neale/Mora/Michie etc in the near future. Fyfe seems like our next captain but to be honest I'd really, really like Barlow to be our captain. He's such a lovable guy and bleeds purple. Would probs be one of the nicest guys in the comp (purely from observation).

We all love De Boer but this year he's in the 18-22 fringe bracket. I think Mundy will hand over to Fyfe. Few to choose from though ... I agree Mayne would be excellent as would Barlow.

This. Mayne is underrated, but I think he would lead by example with his intensity and great effort and heart - he just embodies the ethos of the way RTB has been trying to get the playing group to play.

Yep, and it's his work when he DOESN'T have the ball which is so important. Epic worth ethic, always sprinting back to help out. Does the stuff that isn't noticed.

Don't need a 5+ year captain. Guys over 27-28 would still qualify even if they aren't expected to have many years after that.

For example, Tom Harley and Cameron Ling.

I was thinking when Mundy and Barlow accepted their Ross Glendinning Medals earlier this year that they could both possibly be co-captians after pav, ala Sydney with Goodes and McVeigh. Thoughts?

Noooo at co-captains. I always thought that was an odd idea. One captain only please! I'm thinking it'll be either Mundy (if in the very near future), Barlow or Fyfe. Mayne/De Boer smokey.

I wonder why Barlow hasn't been in / isn't in the leadership group. I reckon he'd be a great captain - and would be the right age, having turned 27 during the '14/'15 pre-season.
Terrific post and assessment of the candidates and I agree 100% that Micky be would be an absolutely inspirational skipper.
I would be very surprised if Sir Michael has not declined a nomination for the leadership group in order to focus entirely on his prolonged rehab and return to form;if true he'll be in the leadership group next year and a prospect for the big baton when Pav doesn't want it any more.I wouldn't put it past Pav to do a Bell and handball the mantle before he stopped playing.He's very much his own man and our champ,so he can do what he likes.He might want Harry to be skipper!

AllAusTeam2013-190613.jpg

Lukey and Fyfe our only inclusions in the team. The biggest inclusion is the coach ;) RTB made the All Australian as coach :p

Mayne or Barlow. then maybe Fyfe down the road.
de Boer would be perfect if he cemented his spot, but can't see him doing that with much certainty.

If de Boer was securely in the best 22 he would be the obvious choice IMO. Can anyone specify what role he has been playing this season? I thought he was being played as a defensive forward at the start of the season but now I'm not so sure.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I see that AA team is about as realistic as the real thing.

BRB going into a game with two KPPs on the bench.

I agree with those suggesting Mayne could be the next captain, he speaks the most like a caption with conviction and leads arguably the best by example on field and off. There's nobody on gameday and onthe training track who puts more in than him. If he's not the next skipper, look to Mundy to take the mantle for 2-3 years to give our young leaders more time to hone their leadership skills and mature more before being given the responsibility, we have that luxury afterall.

Terrific post and assessment of the candidates and I agree 100% that Micky be would be an absolutely inspirational skipper.
I would be very surprised if Sir Michael has not declined a nomination for the leadership group in order to focus entirely on his prolonged rehab and return to form;if true he'll be in the leadership group next year and a prospect for the big baton when Pav doesn't want it any more.I wouldn't put it past Pav to do a Bell and handball the mantle before he stopped playing.He's very much his own man and our champ,so he can do what he likes.He might want Harry to be skipper!

I'd be betting this is also the case. He'll be in the group next year as he's clearly regained his mojo.

Barlow captain
Mayne Vice

with Fyfe taking over
Wouldn't mind seeing a Barlow + Mayne captain
with Fyfe VC

Your captain does not need to be your best player. But they should be top10 with no questions about their selection. They also need to be able to personally change the game. Mundy and Barlow fit that for me, de Boer borderline. All decent options.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back