hutstar

Team Captain
Jan 6, 2003
St Petersburg FL
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond
When I was a kid, maybe 1980-83 i think, I saw the ACT team beat a Francis Bourke lead Big V team. It was at Footy Park in Philip. After the game I ran up to Francis (being a Tigers Kiddie) and he stiffed me on an autograph.
Anyone else remember or know anything about this game?

I saw the ACT beat the VFL team at Manuka, it would of been around 1981. This was before State of Origin days and I'm sure Malcolm Blight played for the Big V. Cowboy Neale led the ACT and our guys just wanted it a lot more.

I saw the ACT beat the VFL team at Manuka, it would of been around 1981. This was before State of Origin days and I'm sure Malcolm Blight played for the Big V. Cowboy Neale led the ACT and our guys just wanted it a lot more.

:thumbsu: The Match was played at Manuka on July 6 1980. The Score was 13 17 (95) to 11 16 (82). ACT team contained the following players:

Martin Smith, Ron Davey, John Miller, Brett Hannam, Charlie Smith, Hans Heystraten, Kevin Neale, Jack McCormick, Ken Stone, Martin Smith (Ainslie )

Trevore White, Geoff Harold, Peter Feltham, Paul Feltham (West Canberra)

John McEwan, Keith Miller, T Rickman, (Eastlake)

Peter Williamson, James Black, (Queanbeyan)

Robert Anderson (Queanbeyan - Footscray)

Peter Kenny (Manuka - Carlton)

Alex Jesaulenko (Eastlake - Carlton)

Ian Lowe (Manuka - Footscray)

:thumbsu: The Match was played at Manuka on July 6 1980. The Score was 13 17 (95) to 11 16 (82). ACT team contained the following players:

Martin Smith, Ron Davey, John Miller, Brett Hannam, Charlie Smith, Hans Heystraten, Kevin Neale, Jack McCormick, Ken Stone, Martin Smith (Ainslie )

My memorys bad then ....i thought we (ACT)won by just 5 points....i was there and was playing for west canberra at the time, my first senior season being 1981.

Essentially it was a VFL thirds with Vic sides also playing SA and WA or QLD on the same weekend.....but we still beat them. :D

I always thought that Geoff Harold was a great footballer....anyone know where he is now?.

Geoff Harrold still lives in Canberra with wife Julie. Yes he was an excellent player. played in Qbns premiership team of 1985 - first in 40 odd years - think he may have been captain.

Geoff Harrold still lives in Canberra with wife Julie. Yes he was an excellent player. played in Qbns premiership team of 1985 - first in 40 odd years - think he may have been captain.

Hey thats great ....thanks for that. :thumbsu:

Wow, that's a blast from the past!!

I hadn't moved to the ACT from Victoria until '81, I remember the locals gloating about the result for years to come.

When I was a kid, maybe 1980-83 i think, I saw the ACT team beat a Francis Bourke lead Big V team. It was at Footy Park in Philip. After the game I ran up to Francis (being a Tigers Kiddie) and he stiffed me on an autograph.
Anyone else remember or know anything about this game?

Hey - just found this thread. Yeah I was there in 1980 - just a kid then. I can remember Francis Bourke and Blighty playing. Went to the Eastlakes Footy Club (I think, or it might have been Ainslie?) for the function afterwards. Blighty a real nice bloke - gave his VIC tie to some kid. I remember Cowboy Neale having a blinder. I also remmber a real short ACT player coming off the bench and running straight out to the VIC Ruckman (I think it was Mark Lee) and giving him a gobful over something and Lee just decking him!

This guy was a absolute man mountain, with a barrel chest, probably built like Glendinning but bigger - a fantastic athlete. Not sure where he was from originally ... i think SA

Hey - just found this thread. Yeah I was there in 1980 - just a kid then. I can remember Francis Bourke and Blighty playing. Went to the Eastlakes Footy Club (I think, or it might have been Ainslie?) for the function afterwards. Blighty a real nice bloke - gave his VIC tie to some kid. I remember Cowboy Neale having a blinder. I also remmber a real short ACT player coming off the bench and running straight out to the VIC Ruckman (I think it was Mark Lee) and giving him a gobful over something and Lee just decking him!

I was at the match too as a 7 year old. I remember Alex Jesaulenko happily giving me his autograph and talking to my dad in the stands during the curtain raiser. I also remember Cowboy Neale dacking St Kilda fullback Jeff Sarau to roars of laughter from the crowd. Finally, I remember getting to slap Cowboy Neale on the back as he walked off the ground after the match. He owned the ground that day. The Vics (their 3rd string side) were in shock that the ACT played so hard. They couldn't believe they lost.

I was at the match too as a 7 year old. I remember Alex Jesaulenko happily giving me his autograph and talking to my dad in the stands during the curtain raiser. I also remember Cowboy Neale dacking St Kilda fullback Jeff Sarau to roars of laughter from the crowd. Finally, I remember getting to slap Cowboy Neale on the back as he walked off the ground after the match. He owned the ground that day. The Vics (their 3rd string side) were in shock that the ACT played so hard. They couldn't believe they lost.

G'day J Dog, I'm writing a PhD on Jezza, and that momentous day when the ACT beat the Vics is an important part of the story. Could you email me some memories such as these you've written here? Maybe just elaborate on what you've written in a bit more detail? That would be great. Cheers (em: daneddy523 at hot mail dot com)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back