The best local league outside the AFL

Remove this Banner Ad

I havnt seen the current SANFL, but I have a mate in Adelaide who says the current VFL is better than the current SANFL.

I remember Des Headland saying that he thought the WAFL was more skillfull, but the QSFL is much tougher when asked to compare the two leagues.

I dunno really, but Id say in order:
AFL, VFL, SANFL, WAFL, QSFL, TFL, SFL

I would agree with your order Bomber.

*NOTE: Just thought I would point out that the Tassie league is now called the TSFL, not TFL*

yea, thats right. The WAFL is now Westar Rules, the Old QAFL went to QSFL and is now AFL Queensland, and its AFL Sydney I believe.

Don't forget the NTFL. Especially you bomber, isn't this Sheedy's favorite hunting ground. If you like footy tough & hard the way it used to be before the razzamatazz of the AFL/CH 7 partnership then the NTFL is the home of real aussie rules. The skills may not be of the standard seen in the elite AFL league, but it's hard, it's tough & it's real footy in the territory. Just ask Sheeds.

Best - dunno.

Toughest - I'll nominate the AFL South Qld Division two. The trick to survival in this league is to have a little look-see over your shoulder after you've delivered the ball, because "it's comin'" ....

Plenty of big, boofhead, never-were, thugs playing in this league.

------------------
Anyway, that's what I reckon ........

mud n blood

S.Robbo, you must be right. It gets a lot of hits judging by its ranking on the Top 100.

The VFL this year has regained top state league status and it will get better next year. Less teams, better footy. Richmond are having talks with Coburg-Fitzroy re a possible alignment next year. How about this: the Richmond Lions, or the Coburg-Fitzroy Tigers, or maybe the Richmond-Coburg-Fitzroy Lions!

Make sure you go to www.footballvic.com.au and put it in your favourites or bookmarks.

------------------
Go to Football Victoria Total Footy or The Pitch

[This message has been edited by Dynamite_Pie (edited 25 October 2000).]

Sydney AFL is undoubtedly has the poorest standard footy of all the 2nd level comps.

Whats your opinion WCE2000 ? as an 'insider' ?

Also - don't forget the ACTFL, very good little local competition that has produced many fine players at AFL level.

Aaron Hammill and Alex Jesulenko are two that come to mind almost immediately.

Country Leagues

The Ovens and Murray league in North-East Victoria/Albury is very competitive, but for good, rough, tough footy you can't go past the Tallangatta league. You think some of the AFL hatreds are bitter? You ain't seen nothing until you've seen Mitta United versus Kiewa-Sandy Creek. The fact that many Mountain men and Hawkers are distantly related only makes the rivalry worse.

The Hume league in Southern NSW is also very competitive and is fairly clean too. The grounds are dry, hard and wide so the skills are remarkably good.

TT

I have played in afl qld and afl qld second division, and second division is tough, hard and brutal, i will be going back to the an afl qld club, even though the fitness is harder, there is more chance of survival

Remove this Banner Ad

Back