The Barefoot Investor

Remove this Banner Ad

I have read it and thought it has helped me set up some structure to my savings. Further to this if anyone is thinking about it feel free to use my code and get yourself a free $100 and help me fund a trip to europe :)

Here is an ING promo code for $100 that is valid until 28 Feb 2018 for anyone who is interested:
FLY133

There are zero account keeping fees on the Everyday Account and their Savings Maximiser account has 2.80% interest.

A couple of important points:
1. You must make 5 transactions on your Everyday account each calendar month.
2. You must deposit $1000 per month into your account.
3. The good news is that you can make withdrawals from the high interest account and it won't affect your interest rate.
4. The $100 promo code offer runs out on 28 Feb and is limited to the first 10 000 people.

Happy banking!

Better off removing the code and have people PM you. ING will withdraw your ability to refer people if they spot you doing this and neither of you get the bonus.

Last edited:
I took the advice of the book and virtually switched all banking to ING with various accounts set up (expenses, splurge, savings, holiday). We still have our Home Loans with Commonwealth Bank as we have a few investment property's so it was to hard to move them.

A few things I really like with ING
1) It has been easier to build up savings. I think having the multiple accounts makes it easier to have the discipline to save without it all being mixed up with home loans.

2) I feel I have a much better understanding of our spending.

3) I really like the app.

Last edited:

I've read his column off and on over the years and can acknowledge that its useful for those who have no interest in their finances or future financial security, for this reason, it has an important role to play. Though as pointed out, for everyone else with some financial education, much of the advice is fairly obvious.

I've read his column off and on over the years and can acknowledge that its useful for those who have no interest in their finances or future financial security, for this reason, it has an important role to play. Though as pointed out, for everyone else with some financial education, much of the advice is fairly obvious.
The stock advice he gives as part of his paid "blueprint" subscription is fantastic.

Depending on when you signed up.

His 2017 recommendations tanked HARD. I've ditched my subscription.
I bought a flat in 2005 and the BFI had me shitting myself as his weekly column predicted a property crash for years on end.
His general advice is pretty good but there would be people who missed out on buying a house in the mid to late 2000s who wouldn't be too happy with him.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back