Sport Tennis Thread...a game of broken racquets and short skirts

Remove this Banner Ad

Thought I should crank this up with the Australian Open draw to be released today. Anyone else a big tennis watcher? I reckon that in January, it's hard not to be, with the Hopman, Brisbane, Sydney, Kooyong and Australian Open all crammed in.

What's everyone's opinions on Tomic? The feud between his group and Hewitt's? Anyone think Hewitt can make any sort of impact in the Open?

Re: Official 2010 Summer of Tennis Thread

The kid doesn't have a chance, his dad is another one of those dads that tennis seems to attract Mr Stat.:(

It is now one of the most boring sports going around, people are only interested because the Aussie Open is a major event. With all the eastern Europeans in the womens draw nobody know who's who because all their names end in ova. As for the grunting, it just makes you want to turn off even if they look good.

Aus Open and Wimbledon are really the only comps i make sure to watch, but i usually keep in touch with what is going on around the traps through the year.

Hewitt has Buckley's as he has to go through Roger in the 4th (pretty sure i heard that earlier).

Tomic seems like an OK bloke, a bit arrogant but i think much of the arrogance that people see when they look at him has been built up by his family meddling on his behalf.

Tough comp to call, i can't see Nadal winning it all, hasn't been playing a lot lately. I am not a fan of Roger at all so i hope someone comes from nowhere to win it, it has been the style over the last decade for someone to come from nowhere to make the final or even win it. Tsonga, Bagdhatis, Johansson, Safin, Gonzo, Schuettler even bloody Arnaud Clement made it once. So i hope someone outside the top 3 like Tsonga, Monfils, Bagdatis or Del Potro do well. I like those 3, entertaining players to watch.

It is now one of the most boring sports going around, people are only interested because the Aussie Open is a major event. With all the eastern Europeans in the womens draw nobody know who's who because all their names end in ova. As for the grunting, it just makes you want to turn off even if they look good.

Ah Bedford.

It's a money spinner from a betting point of view.

Decent sport to watch and a sport you can enjoy between ends when the right players are playing... for all on this board im sure ;)

I love watching it this time of year, but also follow the other opens. I agree that the women's circuit is becoming more and more rediculous with the constant shifting of the ranks and the big blow outs come the end of tournaments. The men's game on the other hand is going from strength to strength, a lot of great players out there.

And I reckon looking at the draw Tomic could make the second round again, then I'm not so sure though, facing either Santoro or Cilic.

And does anyone else think Lleyton's haircut reminds them of ROK?

Interesting from someone who likes Soccer, said to be one of the most dull sports to watch. ;)

I played it up until last year, so I found it a lot easier to get into it as a result. Plus it's more the kind of sport I watch for the players rather than the game, if that makes sense.

Tennis was better in the past eras. There was some good old fashioned grudge matches.
McEnroe and Connors.
Connors and Dent.
McEnroe and Borg.
And my favourite player from the 80's was the French left hander Henri Leconte. He never won a singles grand slam but he was a great entertainer and was the one player who always seemed to trouble that robot Ivan Lendl.
There is to many bores and good blokes, not enough characters and entertainers. Thats maybe part of the reason AG finds it a bit boring.
Mr Stat if you can get a hold of any footage of old Henri in his prime watch it, if you like tennis you would love watching him play.
And he has a great name. Henri Leconte.:thumbsu:

Tennis was better in the past eras. There was some good old fashioned grudge matches.
McEnroe and Connors.
Connors and Dent.
McEnroe and Borg.
And my favourite player from the 80's was the French left hander Henri Leconte. He never won a singles grand slam but he was a great entertainer and was the one player who always seemed to trouble that robot Ivan Lendl.
There is to many bores and good blokes, not enough characters and entertainers. Thats maybe part of the reason AG finds it a bit boring.
Mr Stat if you can get a hold of any footage of old Henri in his prime watch it, if you like tennis you would love watching him play.
And he has a great name. Henri Leconte.:thumbsu:

Seen him as a Legend in some of those sorts of matches, hilarious player.

Of the current players I'd argue Roddick, Tsonga and Monfils are pretty big characters. The Djoker can be on his day too, but more often than not is a spoilt twat who can't cop a loss on the chin.

Tomic's playing tomorrow on Fox Sports 1 at some time after 11, depending on when the women's match finishes, can't wait.:thumbsu:

Channel Seven's sports coverage is becoming an abysmal joke. Apparently they offered Fox Sports terrible matches to cover, at a huge cost, just so they could have claim to any potentially interesting match.

It means I'll likely have to sit through a day of Rod Laver action and not see Tomic or Kubler play. Absolutely pathetic. :thumbsdown:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

For the money they pay they have every right to show what they want, as long as its live.

But the fact that they're essentially monopolising it isn't. Australia actually has the worst coverage of the Australian Open in the world, and that's what shits me.

always loved sitting in the backyard on a hot summers night watching the tennis, great way to enjoy a beer, dunno if I could watch it stone cold sober though but the big games are good and it can be a good perve, silly croations being turned away today for lighting flares and its only tennis imagine if we get the bloody soccer world cup..

You know whats wrong with these ethnic groups at the tennis is that they are all born in Australia and Bez you are right about the World Cup, flares everywhere it would make us a joke.
Did anyone watch the grunt fest on today with the two Ruskie girls, though one sounds like a Yank. I bet if they lost points for grunting they would stop it.

mabee Im weird but I kinda like the girls grunting, but the Williams sisters are a big turn off, fair dinkum they got thighs that make Stewie Dews look like twigs, her huge dummy spit at the linesman last year was pretty funny although not right.

Lol the Russian girl that Dokic is playing reminds me of Bart in the Simpsons when he impersonates a Russian woman. "Kiss me or i'll crush you!"

You know whats wrong with these ethnic groups at the tennis is that they are all born in Australia and Bez you are right about the World Cup, flares everywhere it would make us a joke.
Did anyone watch the grunt fest on today with the two Ruskie girls, though one sounds like a Yank. I bet if they lost points for grunting they would stop it.

Er, you mean Maria Sharapova, right? Worried if you don't know who she is...