Television

Remove this Banner Ad

As far as I know the ABC are televising the TSL this year, yes.
It'll just be a continuation of the same coverage of what the Devils got really, from what I've heard around the place ABC Radio (7ZR, 7NT etc) won't be broadcasting games, just taking the live AFL feed from the mainland.

I have heard that it will be mostly southern games that are televised. One would hope that thinking would change.

Kingpin, ABC games live from the TCA with HBT in the Tigers outfit!

I would expect it to be almost solely southern games. IIRC, the ABC cut back Tasmania's football budget when the TFL folded, leaving enough to cover the Devils at home, and that won't be increasing.
And even with the old TFL it was mostly southern games, but I suspect it to be moreso.

I'm sure the coverage will be pretty minimal, which will be sad. I suppose it is a double edged sword thought in that the more televised games there are, the less people will go to the actual grounds.

Only time will tell, I am dissapointed however that ABC radio wont be covering the games, you can't beat sitting out in the garden with the wireless going listening to a local game with around the grounds going on! Ahh the good old days...

Kingpin, ABC games live from the TCA with HBT in the Tigers outfit!
Hasn't happened since 1996! I've still got that game on tape here.
Hobart and South Launceston, Stuart Prewer bombed a 75m+ goal on the quarter time hooter for South, Dougie Barwick's still getting about on crook knees as is Peter Curran.
Garry Williamson makes his debut as playing coach for the Tiges, hasn't played a top level game in five years, kicks a couple and gets close to 40 touches.
Hobart sneaks away from South to win a shocking game by 29 points, the crowd is 614.
The place looks dreadful on television, completely falling down.
ABC commentator Neville Oliver and Hobart president John Thurley have a bit of an argument off camera (outside the broadcast van) and Thurley tells him to stick his halftime interview and storms off. :eek:

Personally, I think I'd much rather us be playing at North Hobart if it were viable in the longterm.

Howard Littlejohn said:
I would expect it to be almost solely southern games. IIRC, the ABC cut back Tasmania's football budget when the TFL folded, leaving enough to cover the Devils at home, and that won't be increasing.
Yes I'm thinking that as well.
From what I can recall, the ABC's Sports Department was virtually disbanded after 2000 in Hobart, so there's pretty slim pickings out there now.
Just wondering how long it will be before there's complaining from the North over how few games are broadcast from up there (quite justified too).
I remember how angry New Norfolk supporters used to get with ABC Radio's refusal to cover games up at Boyer for several years in the 80's, IIRC I think the last match they covered up there was in the old TANFL, the next one was about 5-6 years later when Chisnall took over as Coach.
I never used to mind seeing some of the Northern matches on TV now & then, I can't really see this winning over the viewers up there to be honest...

Besides, I'm with V.O.S - I'd much rather it was all covered on the radio before any TV coverage takes place IMO.
They had a great radio show and coverage for so long, sad it no longer exists.
Only problem is, if it was to make a returne you'd have to suffer through the inept commentary of that stuttering/mumbling Newlands :thumbsdown:

From what I can recall, the ABC's Sports Department was virtually disbanded after 2000 in Hobart, so there's pretty slim pickings out there now.
Actually, thinking about it its worse than that.
That gardening show's production got moved out of Tas in order to slash the ABC's Tasmanian production budget to the bare minimum (Collectors is as cheap as TV gets, and the ABC charter requires some production in each state).
The old 4 cameras could easily be down to 2.

I can tell you the ABC purchased a big state of the art outside broadcast van about years back and there is no way it will be sitting idle.

As far as radio goes well if those who worked at the ABC really wanted to get a local weekly call happening, I would think it could happen because technically it is not that hard (as far as I am aware anyway).

Surely being live at a local game would be more satisfying than just getting an AFL feed and then reading out local scores all day.

Bring back Peter Walsh and co.

Statewide League finally back on TV!

Hi Guys,

Heard on the grapevine that WIN News will be airing a feature story on each Statewide League club every Tuesday and Thursday night leading upto the season.

Apparently they start tomorrow night (Tuesday) and commence with one of the Northern based clubs.

I'm looking forward to finally seeing some SWL action on the tele again!!

Caught the 1st instalment last night on North Launceston.
For those who didn't see it, went for probably a minute and a half. They interviewed both Shane Wager (captain and assistant coach returning from overseas to play this year) and the coach, Chris Whitford (who didn't necessarily impress me with his ability to string a few sentences together).

They basically said that they will be crap this year and will be looking to build the team for future cracks at the premiership. Made a bit about the advantage of playing Southern clubs at Aurora with those sides being unucustomed to the bigger surface, and also mentioned that the Southern clubs were a complete unknown and they had no idea how they would line-up against them.

Some of the skills they showed at training looked pretty ordinary, granted they are still a month away from the start of the season, but Wager said they started their pre-season late last year, so you'd like to think the cobwebs would have been blown out by now.

Didn't catch who the next team they will cover is, but it will be shown each Tuesday and Thursday nights on WIN news.

At least it was good to finally see some coverage.

WIN clip

Some of the skills they showed at training looked pretty ordinary,

I didn't see the clip but maybe you should re word that and say "Some of the editing from footage filmed looked pretty ordinary"

On a positive yes it was good to finally see some coverage so well done WIN.[/quote]

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The first game to be covered by the ABC will be Glenorchy v Launceston at KGV on Saturday 4 April.

I am not sure if it will be shown live or not.

The letter in front of me here from the club has Hobart as being locked into 6 televised matches this season on ABC1, all starting at 2pm on Saturday afternoons.

They are:

Rd 07) Hobart v Sth Launceston at TCA Ground - 23rd May 2009.
Rd 12) Hobart v Nth Hobart at TCA Ground - 4th July 2009.
Rd 15) Hobart v Lauderdale at TCA Ground - 1st August 2009.
Rd 16) Clarence v Hobart at Bellerive Oval - 8th August 2009.
Rd 17) Hobart v Devonport at TCA Ground - 15th August 2009.
Rd 18) Nth Hobart v Hobart at North Hobart Oval - 22nd August 2009.

I can not see that on the ABC Online tv guide

I can't either. On April 4th, "Rugby In the 70's" is listed at 2pm on ABC1.
The following week on April 11th, "Naked Science" is listed for that timeslot.

Is there something we should know about, or is that just a national program listing and that they've not taken into account local based programs as yet?

With all due respect to HFC, over 20% of live games at TCA doesn't become the best advertisement for the TSL.

Is there something we should know about, or is that just a national program listing and that they've not taken into account local based programs as yet?
I was looking around the net for the info on it and I could not find none, you would have thought being the season opener between the Northern and Southern Premiers of last season it would be shown...

It'd be shame if they do not show it, I cannot get down south for the game :(

You need to select Tasmania as the region

You need to select Tasmania as the region
I did that when I had a look for this week and it had Rugby in the Seventies on.

Rugby in the Seventies
Rugby In The Seventies: Part Two

2pm – 3pm ABC1
Saturday 4 April 2009
Part two covers the years from 1975 to 1980 and starts with the disappointment the Wallabies suffered on their UK tour as they failed to live up to their potential.

Genre: Sport/Rugby Union
Year: 2005
Rating: PG
Other: Closed Captions
Widescreen
Repeat
Final
Duration: 60 mins
Links: Find more info on this program with Live Search

They just said on ABC Grandstand that the game will be showen on ABC TV from 200pm and i just checked my EPG on my set top box and it says the same thing

Remove this Banner Ad

Back