Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts HBF's Milk Crate - 70k Posts TheBrownDog
Sep 13, 2000
Melbourne cricket ground. Australia
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Horks
Any revisions from recent events? Or do we just start the next century TOC?

As selected
Hawthorn Team of the Century

B Gary Ayres - Kelvin Moore - Albert Mills
HB Col Austen - Chris Mew - Peter Knights
C Robert DiPierdomenico - Jim Bohan - Brendan Edwards
HF Graham Arthur (Cap) - Dermott Brereton - Gary Buckenara
F Jason Dunstall - Peter Hudson - John Platten
R Don Scott - Michael Tuck - Leigh Matthews
INTERCHANGE: Chris Langford, Ian Law, Roy Simmonds, Paul Salmon

Potential ins:
Sam Mitchell* for Jim Bohan
Luke Hodge* for Albert Mills
Lance Franklin* for Gary Buckenara
Cyril Rioli for Graham Arthur
Tom Mitchell* for Roy Simmonds
Jarryd Roughead for Paul Salmon*
Shaun Burgoyne* for Ian Law

*not one club player which may have bearing.
I believe my list gets shakier the further down you go. And Shane Crawford is still stiff, playing nearly half his career in this century

Sam, Hodgey, Bud, Cyril and Rough would be automatic in's, if it was extended to 2024. Burgers was a star at Port already, played half his prime there, so that's a 50/50. Surely Crawf squeezes in. Think people forget how good Sewell was 2006-2012, him and Lewis probably missing the team, not by much. Other than that, not much I would change, because defence wise, the only Hawks I'd consider over the last decade are Birchall and Gibbo. (Lake probably didn't play for us long enough). Tom probably in another 3-4 years...

Sam Mitchell* for Jim Bohan
Luke Hodge* for Albert Mills
Lance Franklin* for Gary Buckenara
Cyril Rioli for Graham Arthur
Tom Mitchell* for Roy Simmonds
Jarryd Roughead for Paul Salmon*
Shaun Burgoyne* for Ian Law

With the disclaimer that the only players from the above that i have seen play are Buckenara and Salmon, i agree with all of the above.

The only exception would be Tom Mitchell. Sure he might get in at some stage pending his performance on returning, but on what he has done to date it isn't enough...yet.

So I'd say Franklin in for Bucky, move Bucky to the bench over Simmonds.

I feel like the majority of the team should be players from the last 40 years.

I feel like I'm biased, as i've been watching that time and haven't seen seen players before then. But it also aligns with two of the most dominant periods of any football club ever in the AFL.

I feel like I'm biased, as i've been watching that time and haven't seen seen players before then. But it also aligns with two of the most dominant periods of any football club ever in the AFL.

No doubt - but don't forget the 70s either - 3 flags that decade

The majority yes, but Huddo, Scott, Moore and Arthur are locks, and wld say Col Austen would be too.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

With the disclaimer that the only players from the above that i have seen play are Buckenara and Salmon, i agree with all of the above.

The only exception would be Tom Mitchell. Sure he might get in at some stage pending his performance on returning, but on what he has done to date it isn't enough...yet.

So I'd say Franklin in for Bucky, move Bucky to the bench over Simmonds.

I'm not sure that all would agree with Buddy taking over Bucky's spot.
I certainly would not, but I guess this is just a subjective exercise....

Im not sure Gibbo is underrated, he'd just have to displace Austin who won a brownlow when we were absolutely crap or Peter Knights, 2nd in the brownlow twice should have won it if not for injuries, say no more. There could be argument to have Gibbo on the bench but when adding Hodge, Mitch, Crawf and Bud, the bench is already changing significantly and I certainly don't put Gibbo on the same rung as those 4 who would be must have inclusions if the team was to be amended.

The majority yes, but Huddo, Scott, Moore and Arthur are locks, and wld say Col Austen would be too.
Still think Brendan Edwards wins his spot.

Im not sure Gibbo is underrated, he'd just have to displace Austin who won a brownlow when we were absolutely crap or Peter Knights, 2nd in the brownlow twice should have won it if not for injuries, say no more. There could be argument to have Gibbo on the bench but when adding Hodge, Mitch, Crawf and Bud, the bench is already changing significantly and I certainly don't put Gibbo on the same rung as those 4 who would be must have inclusions if the team was to be amended.
Austin didn’t do much outside of his Brownlow year and went to Richmond under controversial circumstances. He goes out for Hodge.

Why? Have you seen Edwards play? Or are you just assuming he is some no name?
Seeing as he played from 1956–1963 i doubt anyone here saw him play.

I tried to look up stats, but couldn't find anything from that period. However, i struggle to see how someone who played 109 games, 1 premiership and one 1 club B+F would be considered better than Crawf who played over 300 games, 1 premiership, 1 Brownlow, 4 club B+F, etc

B: Gary Ayres - Kelvin Moore - Chris Langford
HB: Luke Hodge - Chris Mew - Peter Knights
C: Robert DiPierdomenico - Sam Mitchell - Shane Crawford
HF: Graham Arthur(C) - Dermott Brereton - John Platten
F: Jason Dunstall - Peter Hudson - Cyril Rioli
R: Don Scott - Michael Tuck - Leigh Matthews
I/C: Brendan Edwards - Gary Buckenara - Jarryd Roughead - Lance Franklin

Kept Edwards in, read that he was very influential in lifting our training standards before our '61 flag. Also was thinking Collins in for Mills.

All players are premiership players, should be a prerequisite for consideration.

Lance Franklin would be on the field if he never left.

B: Gary Ayres - Kelvin Moore - Chris Langford
HB: Luke Hodge - Chris Mew - Peter Knights
C: Robert DiPierdomenico - Sam Mitchell - Shane Crawford
HF: Graham Arthur(C) - Dermott Brereton - John Platten
F: Jason Dunstall - Peter Hudson - Cyril Rioli
R: Don Scott - Michael Tuck - Leigh Matthews
I/C: Brendan Edwards - Gary Buckenara - Jarryd Roughead - Lance Franklin

Kept Edwards in, read that he was very influential in lifting our training standards before our '61 flag. Also was thinking Collins in for Mills.

All players are premiership players, should be a prerequisite for consideration.

Lance Franklin would be on the field if he never left.

Good effort, you nailed the starting 18. I could easily have swapped Edwards and Bucky for Burgs and Bruest when judged by their overall careers though. Pritchard, Gunners and Collins also in consideration.

Good effort, you nailed the starting 18. I could easily have swapped Edwards and Bucky for Burgs and Bruest when judged by their overall careers though. Pritchard, Gunners and Collins also in consideration.
Gunston? Now I know you are just taking the p1ss.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back