State Tasmanian Tigers

Remove this Banner Ad

Getting in early, as there have been a few developments over recent times.

Apparently even Cricket Hobart, err Cricket Tasmania, has become sick of the state being being shyte for so many seasons. So we now have -
* A new CEO
http://www.crickettas.com.au/news/new-ceo/2017-01-20
* A new coach
http://www.espncricinfo.com/australia/content/story/1094834.html
* A new assistant coach
http://www.themercury.com.au/sport/...a/news-story/a5f6e0d10ba7069e9af1d0cd7940dfb3
* A new Hurricanes coach
http://www.espncricinfo.com/australia/content/story/1089767.html
* A new high performance manager
http://www.theaustralian.com.au/spo...r/news-story/84176a0f5ee61773d57b53c996435d5b
* And a recently completed review by Mike Hussey
http://www.sbs.com.au/news/article/2017/05/23/hussey-helps-put-tas-cricket-back-track

I sincerely hope things start to turn around as a result of these changes. The last few years have been both embarrassing and depressing.

I hope it's not just shuffling the deck chairs on the titanic, because we need to adjust what our actual goals are as well. It seems like over the last few years the sole focus has been around trying to win individual matches - there's no overarching plan to win the shield, the bbq cup or for the 'canes to win the BBL, nor is there seemingly any plan to have players elevated to the national team or to develop local talent.

The whole thing has been a s**t show for the last 5 years at least, where the only plan is to recruit players not good enough to play for their own state and see whether they're better than the Tasmanian players... but with no real end goal in mind.

Griffith's approach will be key.

You'd think he will have Bailey as a full time state player now so he has got a solid guy there to set the example.

Wade looks reasonably entrenched in the Australian team now but hopefully he can have some input in the off season/pre season/early season before the Australian summer kicks off.

Faulkner has all the motivation in the world to put his head down.

Bird will get shuffled back behind the CA golden boy quicks, so pending the fitness of the golden boys, you think he too should be available to start the season.

The most important thing in the medium term is for Griffith to back in and develop the local guys that might not have a stellar record so far but have shown glimpses that they can cut it at state level. Guys like Webster and Rainbird. I don't think you can have a successful Tasmanian team unless you can nurture players of this ilk into solid contributors at state level.

Short term he really needs to get guys like Doolan and Silk back into form. It will be interesting to see what they can do recruiting wise with the batting but most likely there won't be much out there and they will need to turn around these two or it is going to be a long season again. McDermott is maybe in the right spot to really kick on this year but based on last year Doran is still too green. The depth batting options are just atrocious, the Hancocks and Michaels are just not up to it.

I haven't followed the squad changes at all but my suspicion would be that Bailey and Faulkner losing contracts would put the squeeze big time on a guy like Dunk who would be earning decent coin and not performing.

Bowling they should at least have options with Bird, Faulkner, Milenko, Fekete (if fit), Rainbird to fashion a half reasonable attack but hard to see the batting turn around quickly.

The signings don't exactly inspire do they.

I don't think signing 2nd XI players is the problem, that is the target market for achieveable imports. The issue is more that they are signing 26/27 year old 2nd XI players that aren't going to improve any. Rogers is the right age but from the weaker ACT competition.

Not sure why they haven't targeted younger players from Sydney grade cricket recently as that is where there is talent outside the state sides. Wakim may be ok based on that but again he is 26, you really want to look at early 20s guys with more scope for improvement.

Does Michael Hill still play for you guys? I remember he had a couple of seasons with the Renegades and Hurricanes

Does Michael Hill still play for you guys? I remember he had a couple of seasons with the Renegades and Hurricanes

Na. Think he dropped off the contract list before the start of last season and ended up back in Melbourne.

What's everybody's starting XI this year? Who takes the gloves?
I'd like to see the following in the ODD
Wade+
Dunk
McDermott
Bailey*
Webster
Paine
Faulkner
Milenko
Boyce
Perrin
Fekete

And presumably if Wade keeps his spot for the Ashes then Silk in for Wade, Doolan in at 3 for a bowler and everybody to shuffle down one. Not sure if Doran has what it takes, could be a make or break season for him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Couldn't help but notice that the only two Tasmanian-produced cricketers in today's team are Doolan and Bailey.

What happened?

Sheffield Shield became six development squads for CA and not state representative teams and the NSW overflow due to larger population has to go somewhere.

Maybe it is time for a ACT or NSW Country side.

Couldn't help but notice that the only two Tasmanian-produced cricketers in today's team are Doolan and Bailey.

What happened?

I had to stop doing this (ie. looking int the actual number of Tasmanians) about midway through last season. It was making me too angry.

The most important thing in the medium term is for Griffith to back in and develop the local guys that might not have a stellar record so far but have shown glimpses that they can cut it at state level. Guys like Webster and Rainbird. I don't think you can have a successful Tasmanian team unless you can nurture players of this ilk into solid contributors at state level.

What happened?

Good start when Webster hits 121 in the first game.............for CA XI :'(

Did CA steal him or did the selectors believe their imports were better?

I doubt CA would have headhunted him. I think more likely that Tasmania let him go because they favoured others. His batting is more suited to the long form but that is no different to a guy like Silk and Webster bowls a bit of spin so would have been handy as a 6th bowling option too.

What happened?

You forgot Riley Meredith.

We had Faulkner, Wade and Paine away on Australian duties and Webster playing for CA XI (Normally easily in our best 11).

That's 7 Tassie born lads who ordinarily are in our best 11.

I don't think it is crisis time.

I doubt CA would have headhunted him. I think more likely that Tasmania let him go because they favoured others. His batting is more suited to the long form but that is no different to a guy like Silk and Webster bowls a bit of spin so would have been handy as a 6th bowling option too.

Webster had an average pre-season I believe and the new coach wanted to walk the talk and reward form (Charlie Wakim). Considering that Webster was VC for portions of last season, he'll be back for the shield season. A kick up the arse and a lesson to not let his early success get to his head.

I read an article the other day - perhaps The Merc online? - that made it very clear that Webster is only playing for the CA XI cos Tassie didn't pick him. So it's not at all accurate to say that he'd be in Tassie's first XI in 50-over cricket.

Apparently we'd still rather persist with guys who weren't good enough for their home states and convince ourselves that they can achieve something (be it trophies or international caps.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back