Tambling Bomaye!

Remove this Banner Ad

go tambo, he certainly looks like a bloke who'd be good in a fight. Rory is also doing well.

Another thing the article says that Tex is an experienced boxer. From everything I know of Tex, I don't think he minds a bit of a fight which leads me to ask a question.

How likely is it that Tex held a low tackle count just to piss off Craigy? I reckon it's at least a 50/50 chance that he did....

He's always been suited to the hard stuff better.

I saw Otten at my boxing gym during the offseason, so obviously the boxing stuff was going to be a big part from day 1. He was a little rusty then, but that was early offseason.

Thompson Callinan match up had a bit of a reach advantage. Luke Thompson that was horrible.

Pig Dog just jumps in, fun to watch, and good to see Brown bite back, but box on your toes lads, stops the whole falling over issue you have.

Wouldn't have minded seeing Tex and Jenkins go, or Tambo and Thommo. Such a good all round sport for fitness, coordination, timing, balance and it runs the tank dry.

That king of the ring drill would destroy you. 10 rounds, with a fresh opponent each round....you'd be throwing 20 a round by round 10, if that.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

AhJfP7tCEAETrpe.jpg

This was humorous.
spot on...don't care how well he does in the ring...he's a footballer....too bad his kicks miss the target all the time when his punches don't often miss!

Maybe we can retire him off and he can join Barry Hall....

This was not. C'mon, give him a chance under a new coach, new preseason, new mindset and (hopefully) more room to flourish. If we go halfway through the season and he hasn't improved on last year then yeah, we can start writing him off. Not yet though, have some faith. :thumbsu:

I hope the following is taken the right way, I mean it in all seriousness and is not a trolling attempt whatsoever:-

Do you guys find the article a bit concerning? They say he has natural talent and is a good boxer - fine - all that's great. The purpose of boxing cross-training is to build confidence, build cardio and to push you beyond where you think you can go mentally and physically. What does Richard do when he's tired and under duress? He shuts down and throws 2 punches where others throw 10. It's the same thing he does on the field - I read tonnes of your reports from the SANFL where he was constantly berated for lack of effort and hard running when he was stuffed.

Give me the footballer who throws 10 urgent, shitty punches when he's gassed than the talented footballer who bottles up when he's gassed. I think part of the problem is exactly what the coaches said in the article - he's been told his whole life he's naturally talented and gifted (and I have no doubt he is at boxing and at football) - which I think has prevented himself from being able to properly push himself into the red zone which you need to be able to do to train at an elite level and play in the AFL.

I really hope he turns his career around and becomes as good as we all know he can play, but I just don't think he will.

I hope the following is taken the right way, I mean it in all seriousness and is not a trolling attempt whatsoever:-

Do you guys find the article a bit concerning? They say he has natural talent and is a good boxer - fine - all that's great. The purpose of boxing cross-training is to build confidence, build cardio and to push you beyond where you think you can go mentally and physically. What does Richard do when he's tired and under duress? He shuts down and throws 2 punches where others throw 10. It's the same thing he does on the field - I read tonnes of your reports from the SANFL where he was constantly berated for lack of effort and hard running when he was stuffed.

Give me the footballer who throws 10 urgent, shitty punches when he's gassed than the talented footballer who bottles up when he's gassed. I think part of the problem is exactly what the coaches said in the article - he's been told his whole life he's naturally talented and gifted (and I have no doubt he is at boxing and at football) - which I think has prevented himself from being able to properly push himself into the red zone which you need to be able to do to train at an elite level and play in the AFL.

I really hope he turns his career around and becomes as good as we all know he can play, but I just don't think he will.
If you want to simply just drain your energy and spend all you have, just do bag work.

Multiple round boxing trains your mind, your concentration and enables you to understand how to divind your energy. Yes we can all come kicking and screaming out of a corner, but most athletes will keel over at round two having only just done sprint work for your shoulders.

He'll have used everything by round 10, worked his balance and feet with evasive work and will understand how small bursts work in his body.

Thats such a bad reading of the article.

The coach didnt say that Tambling gives up.

He said the opposite: that he fought strategically, and landed his blows in the final rounds, rather than falling into the idiots 'bum rushing' strategy. That lead to him winning the fights. Quite the opposite of giving up.

Frankly, I would have thought the entire point of these drills was to teach players to hold their nerve under physical pressure, and be able to deal it back appropriately. If theres a cross over (which we're banking on), Tambling will do well at this.

If you want to simply just drain your energy and spend all you have, just do bag work.

Multiple round boxing trains your mind, your concentration and enables you to understand how to divind your energy. Yes we can all come kicking and screaming out of a corner, but most athletes will keel over at round two having only just done sprint work for your shoulders.

He'll have used everything by round 10, worked his balance and feet with evasive work and will understand how small bursts work in his body.

Agree with this entirely. I don't box like you do, but I have been doing martial arts for a fair while and we do lots of sparring. 10 rounds against a fresh opponent will completely exhaust you. Sparring an opponent as you say is not just about going hell for leather for the entire round. You need stamina/fitness just to get through the rounds, but the actual acts of sparring requires a fighter to be smart, learn when/how to expend their energy, how to maximise their technique when they are beyond exhaustion. Just pushing yourself mentally/physically past the point where you literally feel you are going to drop takes an enormous amount of mental strength. I love the fact that they are getting them to that point and making them do one more round. When you spar/box/train (while you are absolutely allowed to stop anytime) actually stopping at any point during sparring/training is just not an option, you just keep going til the end no matter how rooted you are. You don't give up, you just need to learn to fight smarter and it spounds like that is exactly what the coaches are hoping the boys will learn through doing this. Love it:thumbsu:

I see what you are saying but I think you miss read the article. Its about knowing when to go and not get knocked out. You jump in the ring with Bling and go for broke in the 1st couple of rounds barely getting a hit in while wasting energy. Mean while Tambling waits for the perfect opportunity and knocks you out with one clean punch.

In footy terms I would say Patty Dangerfield is like the opposite where he throws himself at every contests and burns energy quick. What he needs to do is learn when to go and when to let a team mate get the ball and wait to recieve.

I definitely get where you guys are coming from and my reading of the article is definitely tainted by my preconceptions of Tambling, I won't try to hide that.

I just thought it was interesting that they weren't saying he was fighting conservatively in general, but that "When he's tired" he throws two instead of ten. I thought he was being compared with other players when they all get tired - not necessarily that the others were less conservative to begin with. So when some get tired they really try to battle through it and lift the intensity and when he gets tired he tries to conserve energy and is already thinking about future rounds (as it were).

This self preservation and conservation and forward thinking might be great in the ring, but I think I see (perhaps wrongly) that this sort of mindset crosses over poorly into the AFL where gut running and burning yourself when you need to is so crucial in the modern game. Where if you're thinking about conserving energy or next week you're doomed.

I really hope I'm wrong because he's always come across as a good guy and he's certainly shown glimpses of sublime talent over the years. Good luck next year guys.

The article doesn't say in what timeframe Richie has two punches. You are assuming it the same as others take to throw 10.... Better wording might have been "where others are landing punches 1 in 10 times, Richie is landing them 1 in 2, because he thinks through his punches better" and this is probably shown by the quote:

"He’s got natural skill and can find punches where other blokes can’t." and "It’s not just about throwing punches all over the place"

Remove this Banner Ad

Back