Taking sides over Dark Emu

Remove this Banner Ad

I have read the book. It gives a MASSIVE voice to Indigenous peoples. The content should be referred to in schools and everyone who identifies as Australian SHOULD read it. History is important; not only can we learn what to do, we can learn what we should never repeat. The ideas in here about farming, fire management, water practices are truly amazing. I learnt so much. Can't recommend this book enough.

Have a listen to this podcast. Discusses Bolt’s attacks. Bolt goes after him mainly on the basis of a few errors or omissions made during live talks, not the book. The interviewer - Rick Morton - couldn’t even get Bolt to say he’d actually read the book!

Morton read the book and checked it against the source documents and he could not find any errors.

Bolt seems to have been sucked in by some dishonest people from Quadrant and their “Dark Emu Exposed” blog.

Only 15 mins long:

There is not a culture war in the world Bolt won't fight.

The book is a history book. Who cares who wrote it as long as it is accurate. Anyone who wants to question the history is free to do so. But no one is.

Apparently all that matters is how much aboriginal blood the author has. It is truely pathetic that Bolt and other try and discredit Dark Emu over something that is not even relevant.

How many ANZAC history books are written by diggers?
How many Australian history books are written by early settlers?
How many passages in the bible are written by Jesus?

It is such a shallow, hollow, pathetic attack and to think that the culture warriors had it referred to the federal police shows exactly how childish and pathetic those culture warriors are.

Bolt should stick to protecting Pell.

There is not a culture war in the world Bolt won't fight.

The book is a history book. Who cares who wrote it as long as it is accurate. Anyone who wants to question the history is free to do so. But no one is.

Apparently all that matters is how much aboriginal blood the author has. It is truely pathetic that Bolt and other try and discredit Dark Emu over something that is not even relevant.

How many ANZAC history books are written by diggers?
How many Australian history books are written by early settlers?
How many passages in the bible are written by Jesus?

It is such a shallow, hollow, pathetic attack and to think that the culture warriors had it referred to the federal police shows exactly how childish and pathetic those culture warriors are.

Bolt should stick to protecting Pell.
But generally it isn't seen as a hard history book, Pascoe is a writer not a historian. This is fine, because we can read the historians alongside this book. Pascoe urges people to do that.

I'll never understand why people make a virtue of ignorance, coming into threads to make the point that they don't know anything about the person or subject being discussed and have no intention of finding out.
How is having a closed mind and no curiosity something to tell others about as if you're proud of it?

For those who enjoy educating themselves, Bruce Pascoe is an exquisite writer whose wisdom and humanity puts into stark relief what a small, mean person Bolt is, and what a bad writer he is by comparison.

Because we are being asked to takes sides on the topic. Not to read it and educate ourselves or engage in reasonable discussion; but take sides. This is an issue raised by the shrill culture warriors, therefore everybody should immediately pick a side and start bickering.

I don't work that way.

Because we are being asked to takes sides on the topic. Not to read it and educate ourselves or engage in reasonable discussion; but take sides. This is an issue raised by the shrill culture warriors, therefore everybody should immediately pick a side and start bickering.

I don't work that way.
Fair enough, I get what you're saying but you can choose to engage positively or not at all. Just saying I'm not playing is a political choice too :)

Yes. Should special assistance be provided to people who dont need it?

I assume you dont like rich people getting the Age Pension?

He is well educated, white skinned and I bet never suffered because of his ethnicity once in his life.
So you see the award as recompense for suffering?

I'll never understand why people make a virtue of ignorance, coming into threads to make the point that they don't know anything about the person or subject being discussed and have no intention of finding out.
How is having a closed mind and no curiosity something to tell others about as if you're proud of it?

For those who enjoy educating themselves, Bruce Pascoe is an exquisite writer whose wisdom and humanity puts into stark relief what a small, mean person Bolt is, and what a bad writer he is by comparison.
So he was one of the so called 'white' or not very dark aboriginal s who took Bolt / News to court for defamation a while back?

I am not sure the Dali Lama like description applies though, or he should be shocked that Bolt has a go at him?

He is well educated, white skinned and I bet never suffered because of his ethnicity once in his life.

You think people don't suffer for being white, and you think Aboriginals do encounter issues due to racism, and deserve programs to combat these issues.

You're dropping some bombs in this thread!

Part of me is a little worried that you don't actually believe this, but you're saying whatever you can just to discredit Pascoe... Because he's on the other 'side'.

But another part of me is looking forward to you holding the same opinions in other threads!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If you have Aboriginal DNA you are aboriginal.

Leave the half caste discrimination rubbish in the 1950's where it belongs.
When did 'not dark enough to be Aboriginal' ooze its way back into the Australian lexicon?

What's happened over these last 3 years that has seen things going backwards at pace?

If you have Aboriginal DNA you are aboriginal.

Leave the half caste discrimination rubbish in the 1950's where it belongs.
And there are also people who have identified and been accepted as part of Indigenous communities.

It's a bloody reverse one-drop rule with these RWNJs. The minute someone is not dark enough for them, they're "not a real aboriginal". I think it comes from a combination of their seemingly endless obsession with skin colour, their penchant for grubby ad hominems when they can't possibly win through the facts, and shameless virtue signalling.

When did 'not dark enough to be Aboriginal' ooze its way back into the Australian lexicon?

What's happened over these last 3 years that has seen things going backwards at pace?

Its been an issue for Aborigines for years.

You should look beyond the academics living in their ivory tower.

Dallas Scott is a wonderful writer and has incredible insight.

And to the point has been on Insight a few times.

He silenced the panel when he pointed out the fair skinned Aborigines were all getting taxis home while he gets the bus because taxi drivers dont stop for him.

That is discrimination we need to work on. We dont need to give extra money to blond haired and blue eyed people who have access to all the best society has to offer just because somewhere down the line they acquired some DNA.

DNA doesnt signify prejudice. Nor does acceptance.

Actually encountering and enduring it does.

Its been an issue for Aborigines for years.

You should look beyond the academics living in their ivory tower.
No, for a while we had started to accept that saying 'an Indigenous Australian doesn't have a right to be connected to their culture because their skin is too light' was bad and discriminatory.
Now it's common parlance again.

Dallas Scott is a wonderful writer and has incredible insight.
He's great.
So is Pascoe. I hear he won an award.

He silenced the panel when he pointed out the fair skinned Aborigines were all getting taxis home while he gets the bus because taxi drivers dont stop for him.
This is how racist Australia still is.
He also has talked of people coming up and outright abusing him for his race.
People who just clutch their purse a little tighter when they see him, or cross the road.

But in other threads if we talk about this, it's dismissed as no longer being the case because "Australia isn't racist".

That is discrimination we need to work on. We dont need to give extra money to blond haired and blue eyed people who have access to all the best society has to offer just because somewhere down the line they acquired some DNA.

DNA doesnt signify prejudice. Nor does acceptance.

Actually encountering and enduring it does.

How do you define 'black enough'??
Paint swatches?

1581316191872.png

The programs are for Indigenous Australians.
How many "blond haired and blue eyed" Indigenous Australians do you think there are, that would make this a genuine problem??

Google tells me in 2016 there were 798,400 Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islanders in Australia.
Of that, how many of them would be blond haired, blued eyed people rorting the system, do you think??
Do you think it's as many as the 11,849 Indigenous Australians in prison?

But the blond haired book writer winning an award... that's your concern.

How do you define 'black enough'??
Paint swatches?

View attachment 820418

The programs are for Indigenous Australians.
How many "blond haired and blue eyed" Indigenous Australians do you think there are, that would make this a genuine problem??

Google tells me in 2016 there were 798,400 Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islanders in Australia.
Of that, how many of them would be blond haired, blued eyed people rorting the system, do you think??
Do you think it's as many as the 11,849 Indigenous Australians in prison?

But the blond haired book writer winning an award... that's your concern.

How many Aborigines in 2006 and 1996 ?

Do you think the numbers changed just due to more babies being born ?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back