Review SWOT

Remove this Banner Ad

benbanjo

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 16, 2009
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Mid year going into the bye we are sitting at 7-5, it would be hard for anyone to say that they had us at this point in the beginning of the season, with wins against the Swans, GWS, Freo away, and the hawks probably the biggest surprises.
We pushed the Tigers but have had 2 very poor loses against The Dees and the Cats, we were never in those games.
So i thought we would analyse where we are at currently.

Strengths:
Potent forward line with Brown leading the way.
Good tough midfield group with Cunners, Anderson and Higgins working together nicely.
Strong Backline with warrant.

Weaknesses:
Ball use, we still cant use it properly and some of the F50 entries are vfl level.
Centre clearances are currently a big issue especially if our ruckman is not getting his hand on it.
Not getting enough of the ball, too reliant on individual brilliance in our forward 50.
Some players have not come on as well as we had hopped.

Opportunities:
EVW, Pruess, these 2 players have a lot of upside and i want to see Pruess really try and work his way into the side.
$$$ available to trade for a strong top tier player.
Mason wood could be anything.

Threats
Waite who is a very good player is getting on in years and when he isn't out there our structure seems well off its best.
Goldy's form has stabilised this year, but if he drops off again we will be in trouble against a team with a strong ruck.
Scott Thompson has been great this year and was in AA form before the Cats game, he will be hard to replace.

I've only included a few so feel free to add yours and, well argue your point.

Mid year going into the bye we are sitting at 7-5, it would be hard for anyone to say that they had us at this point in the beginning of the season, with wins against the Swans, GWS, Freo away, and the hawks probably the biggest surprises.
We pushed the Tigers but have had 2 very poor loses against The Dees and the Cats, we were never in those games.
So i thought we would analyse where we are at currently.

Strengths:
Potent forward line with Brown leading the way.
Good tough midfield group with Cunners, Anderson and Higgins working together nicely.
Strong Backline with warrant.

Weaknesses:
Ball use, we still cant use it properly and some of the F50 entries are vfl level.
Centre clearances are currently a big issue especially if our ruckman is not getting his hand on it.
Not getting enough of the ball, too reliant on individual brilliance in our forward 50.
Some players have not come on as well as we had hopped.

Opportunities:
EVW, Pruess, these 2 players have a lot of upside and i want to see Pruess really try and work his way into the side.
$$$ available to trade for a strong top tier player.
Mason wood could be anything.

Threats
Waite who is a very good player is getting on in years and when he isn't out there our structure seems well off its best.
Goldy's form has stabilised this year, but if he drops off again we will be in trouble against a team with a strong ruck.
Scott Thompson has been great this year and was in AA form before the Cats game, he will be hard to replace.

I've only included a few so feel free to add yours and, well argue your point.

"Some players have not come on as well as we had hopped."

which players are you referring to?

We are in a mint position at this stage I would have taken 4/7 at the start of the season.
Their was a thread at the start of the year when we lost to the suns how many times this year we would be goalless in a quarter . Looking back to then and now to be 7/4 easily could have been 8/3 if we beat Gold Coast. Everyone at the club deserves all the applause they get.

Now if we can go 6/4 would be massive, this team has surprised everyone so I wouldn’t be surprised if this happend.

Go Roos
(Imma start being a flog Geelong fan)

What do you expect?
I expect a 1st round draft pick to show a lot more than what Atley has so far in his 8 seasons at the club.
He has been better this year, but still under performing overall.

Are you telling me you are happy with what Atley has produces since 2011 for the club?

I expect a 1st round draft pick to show a lot more than what Atley has so far in his 8 seasons at the club.
He has been better this year, but still under performing overall.

Are you telling me you are happy with what Atley has produces since 2011 for the club?

In a half year report thread you've made you're now criticizing past performances, rather than his current good form. :thumbsu: for changing the goalposts.

Shaun has become a good, solid AFL footballer that will play 250 games. He hasn't become the midfiedler people wanted and I think he gets judged harder because of it.

If you want to whinge about 1st round draft picks not coming on, here are some other 1st round draft picks from Shaun's year.

Harley Bennell, Sam Day, Daniel Gorrange, Lucas Cook, Seb Tape, Billy Smedts, Matthew Watson, Jayden Pitt, Jed Lamb, Pat Karnezis.

In a half year report thread you've made you're now criticizing past performances, rather than his current good form. :thumbsu: for changing the goalposts.

Shaun has become a good, solid AFL footballer that will play 250 games. He hasn't become the midfiedler people wanted and I think he gets judged harder because of it.

If you want to whinge about 1st round draft picks not coming on, here are some other 1st round draft picks from Shaun's year.

Harley Bennell, Sam Day, Daniel Gorrange, Lucas Cook, Seb Tape, Billy Smedts, Matthew Watson, Jayden Pitt, Jed Lamb, Pat Karnezis.
At some point, and I'll use 7 seasons as an arbitrary figure, you've got to put the fact that a player went at pick 17 or whatever aside and judge him on his current value to the team.

On that basis Atley is having a good season. Probably his second best.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

You left out all the ones that did come on though.
Polec, David Swallow, Gaff, Caddy, Heppell, Prestia, Lynch, Gunthrie, Darling, Lycett, Isaac Smith, Howe, Tom Mcdonald, Poupololo and many more, all stars in the comp at the moment.

I'm not going to touch on Atley anymore i think ive said enough, but even his current form is nothing special, he has been reasonable but well below what is expected.

Take your Atley love fest elsewhere.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You left out all the ones that did come on though.
Polec, David Swallow, Gaff, Caddy, Heppell, Prestia, Lynch, Gunthrie, Darling, Lycett, Isaac Smith, Howe, Tom Mcdonald, Poupololo and many more, all stars in the comp at the moment.

I'm not going to touch on Atley anymore i think ive said enough, but even his current form is nothing special, he has been reasonable but well below what is expected.

Take your Atley love fest elsewhere.

Comparing 1st round picks is more meaningful though because later successes were a surprise to all clubs as everyone would've had multiple chances to select them earlier. eg Puopolo or McDonald.

Comparing 1st round picks is more meaningful though because later successes were a surprise to all clubs as everyone would've had multiple chances to select them earlier. eg Puopolo or McDonald.
I thought i'd put in a mix, most of those were first round though.

He was the one that bought up how he expected more from a 1st round pick and that's why I showed him 10 first round picks from the same draft that he had clearly out performed. Not as bad as he is making him out to be.

He was the one that bought up how he expected more from a 1st round pick and that's why I showed him 10 first round picks from the same draft that he had clearly out performed. Not as bad as he is making him out to be.

To save retyping here were my very similar thoughts on how Shaun is viewed especially in relation to his 2010 first round classmates from last year.

https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/18-shaun-atley.779794/page-136#post-53210299

Got thinking about the kaka thrown at Shaun over the years vs how he's lived up to his draft rating and potential. So had a quick go at grading the 1st round of his draft.

Green = better career overall than Shaun
Red = worse career overall than Shaun
Black = equivalent career overall to Shaun

Unless I've overlooked someone he's also been the 3rd most productive 1st round 2010 recruit with 154 games behind Isaac Smith @ 157 and Gaff @ 156.

Based on this I'd rate him as circa pick 7 in the 2010 first round upon review. Worth remembering the draft pool had the eyes picked out of it prior by McGC.

Not exactly the bust people try to portray him as.

David Swallow
Harley Bennell
Sam Day

Andrew Gaff
Jared Polec
Reece Conca
Josh Caddy

Dyson Heppell
Dion Prestia
Daniel Gorringe
Thomas Lynch
Lucas Cook
Seb Tape

Brodie Smith
Billie Smedts
Ben Jacobs

Shaun Atley
Matthew Watson
Isaac Smith
Jayden Pitt
Jed Lamb

Mitch Wallis (F/S) (N/A)
Cameron Guthrie
Jamie Cripps
Patrick Karnezis

At 7-5, I think the club is well positioned to play finals this year.

I was hoping we were a sneaky chance for the four prior to the Geelong game, but losing that means that goal is probably not achievable now.

I have us on 13 wins for the year if we win the games we should. I doubt there are many on here that would not have taken that (in a supposed rebuilding year). Although I posit that the rebuild really started in 2016, it is just that the media were stupid and slow to catch on.

The goal now, should be to get to 5/6 for the finals. Get a home ground (MCG I know) final and take it from there.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back