Super Rugby Dead?

Remove this Banner Ad

How many at the rebels game? Are they contending for most irrelevant pro sports club in Melbouene with the aleagues Western United
I went there last night, couple thousand maybe? 🤔

Even Western United must have more fans than the rebels 🤣

Don’t think it made a difference really.
Damage was definitely done well before she got there and the rocks were tumbling down the hill.

The cardigan brigade still hold too much power and control.

random question.... Do you watch Super Rugby on Free to air on Saturday nights?

I dont mind it. It not a lot, but its better than nothing for Casual Rugby union fans to get.

Hi all, know this isn't the right place to post but new account and cant post a new thread...this seams to be the most recently active.

Can anyone help me identify the year and any relevant sigs on this jersey? Cheers.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2023-06-26-19-35-17-21_99c04817c0de5652397fc8b56c3b3817.jpg
    Screenshot_2023-06-26-19-35-17-21_99c04817c0de5652397fc8b56c3b3817.jpg
    253.7 KB · Views: 40
Still dying? Anyone else think 2027 WC is going to fall flat. It could be embarrassing with empty stadiums. I don't think many kids these days even know union is a sport
lol 85k went to the G to watch the Bledisloe. Also all the expats then the travelling fans

lol 85k went to the G to watch the Bledisloe. Also all the expats then the travelling fans
Probably all kiwis. Super Rugby is in trouble. By 2027 union will most likely be in a worse position. Say we can pull off 27 WC atleast attendance wise. Wouldn't think tv ratings or media wise it'll be great. Do the powers that be have any idea how to capitalise off of it?

Probably all kiwis. Super Rugby is in trouble. By 2027 union will most likely be in a worse position. Say we can pull off 27 WC atleast attendance wise. Wouldn't think tv ratings or media wise it'll be great. Do the powers that be have any idea how to capitalise off of it?
you you realise it’s an international sport yeah and the TV market is world wide? You realise that it is also the biggest World Cup in terms of participation meaning more TV markets?

Do you also realise with the new eligibility rules the pacific island nations are going to be playing finals meaning the expat communities here will be engaging with the tournament more than ever.

Australian rugby has issues but to try and say the World Cup will flop shows you have NFI

you you realise it’s an international sport yeah and the TV market is world wide? You realise that it is also the biggest World Cup in terms of participation meaning more TV markets?

Do you also realise with the new eligibility rules the pacific island nations are going to be playing finals meaning the expat communities here will be engaging with the tournament more than ever.

Australian rugby has issues but to try and say the World Cup will flop shows you have NFI
Honestly I ended up deleting my reply because it's too harsh. You're clearly passionate and I wish the WC all the best. As for the domestic comp and the future of the sport in Aus, it's cooked mate.

Honestly I ended up deleting my reply because it's too harsh. You're clearly passionate and I wish the WC all the best. As for the domestic comp and the future of the sport in Aus, it's cooked mate.
Even living in nz the following for super rugby is dying slowly

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Look the game here has faced the same issues since it turned pro in 95. It’s only getting worse because other sides are getting better and we are losing if that makes sense. We had the same problems when we were champions at the turn of the century

A week out, you can't buy a ticket

I know someone whose one of the Rebels sponsors. They are not even taking the sponsors money at this point because quite simply, they dont have anywhere to deposit the money into.

The 17,000 dollar bank account discussed is locked, you cant deposit into it

This isnt your normal sports club going under story here. Alot more to this then meets the eye

He is of the belief however a new club with no links to the Rebels will be spun up for the 2026 season via a large group of overseas investors who wanted in before the Rebels began. Same people been sniffing around for a while

What a shame. There's no easy way out for the sport. As someone who has no real idea about It. It seems too close to rugby league as a sport. Except the scrum and the sideline bit where they lift the player up. Don't think they do that now? What's the point of difference and how do they sway someone to follow Union over League when league has more fanfare, media attention and advertising dollars. Seems from a far it's for private school Queenslanders and union has never shyed away from the fact.

In contrast. Just seen 5 mins of the Leagues indigenous all stars vs Maori all stars. There's really something in that. I could see that grow to be a pre season SoO type of tournament.

Last edited:
Melbourne Rebels are in financial strife and their ongoing future depends upon this upcoming season. They need to perform on the pitch (they have a good squad for this season) and to get more bums on seats to show there is life in Victorian Rugby.

If you have some interest in this code, pop out to some Rebels home matches. Round 1 of Super Pacific Rugby against the A.C.T. Brumbies is on this Friday night at AAMI Stadium.

Carn the Rebs 🏉

Rebels want wins and fans ahead of critical season

What a shame. There's no easy way out for the sport. As someone who has no real idea about It. It seems too close to rugby league as a sport. Except the scrum and the sideline bit where they lift the player up. Don't think they do that now? What's the point of difference and how do they sway someone to follow Union over League when league has more fanfare, media attention and advertising dollars. Seems from a far it's for private school Queenslanders and union has never shyed away from the fact.

In contrast. Just seen 5 mins of the Leagues indigenous all stars vs Maori all stars. There's really something in that. I could see that grow to be a pre season SoO type of tournament.
A casual Rugby fan here. Could never get into League and prefer Union because it is way more tactical than League and has a real international reach whilst Rugby League is largely limited to North England and parts of NSW & Qld. Yes, Union still has scrums and lineouts (love lineouts, a highlight of the game). Rugby Union actually has a presence in Victoria with around 13K registered players and has a big following amongst immigrants from the Pacific here in Melbourne. Rugby League has little history or playing tradition here in Melbourne unlike Rugby Union. Nevertheless, Melbourne Storm in the NRL have a decent following and have found their niche in Melbourne's sporting landscape.

Only giving four month contracts and laying off staff suggests this is the last season. It would have to take some miraculous turn around to get back up again. And unlike rugby league (or AFL) they can't bankroll them until they can sustain themselves.
Having lived in NZ and NSW I would say that as a casual supporter league is better to watch to union because it's less technical , faster and more time with ball in play. The technical aspects of union eg the line out scrums etc are the most frustrating for me and the myriad of referees interpretations make it almost unwatchable for me now.
Be interested to see if a new franchise could be created in the future but I am not sure how viable it would be considering the state of Australian rugby union at the moment.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back