BBL Substandard BBL Umpiring

Remove this Banner Ad

With no neutral umpires for Test, 3 umpires (2 on-field and DRS) aren't in Big Bash who should be.
So they're not just 3 short, but arguably the best 3..
They'd be in New Zealand or South Africa right now

Getting the DRS and giving each team a review would solve a lot of these problems. There'd be several decisions this year that have been shocking that would be easily fixed with a review.

Yes the umpiring standard needs to be better, but there's more than one way to improve/solve a problem.

If you have umpires giving LBWs off leg glances and not out to being smashed on the ankle in front of leg, DRS isn't a solution, it's a band aid.
Getting the DRS and giving each team a review would solve a lot of these problems. There'd be several decisions this year that have been shocking that would be easily fixed with a review.

Yes the umpiring standard needs to be better, but there's more than one way to improve/solve a problem.

On Pixel 5 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Absolute crap shoot, honestly feels like umpires just randomly make calls based on the vibe of things. With the leg glance LBW commentators were just laughing at the decision immediately as well, so it's beyond the usual professional courtesy afforded to blunders and is just openly turning the BBL into a joke even as a T20 carnival atmosphere thing.

It's getting worse. Matt Short out LBW when it didn't even hit his pads than Rashid Khan not out LBW when it would of ripped leg stump out of the ground.

I read this and can't help but think that Dobson is a spud of the highest order.

"I'd say though that whatever we bring in needs to be 'BBL' in its nature, which I think is inherently different to the way others do it.

"Looking for something innovative and unique within some sort of umpire support or review process will be important … and also (needs to) suit the BBL, which aims to be as fast-paced as possible and with minimal disruption.

Enough with the gimmicks.

I read this and can't help but think that Dobson is a spud of the highest order.

"I'd say though that whatever we bring in needs to be 'BBL' in its nature, which I think is inherently different to the way others do it.

"Looking for something innovative and unique within some sort of umpire support or review process will be important … and also (needs to) suit the BBL, which aims to be as fast-paced as possible and with minimal disruption.

Enough with the gimmicks.
Jesus. Sounds like the type of bloke who used key terms to bluff his way through an interview without having any substance whatsoever.

They will look at a catch or a runout or a fielder sliding into the rope a dozen times but worry about the time it will take for DRS. A lot of these garbage decisions could be overturned on one replay they are that bad.

They don't even need hotspot / snicko.

Hell I think they could even get away with a system without ball tracking.

You don't need the above to overturn lbws that were given that pitch a foot outside leg stump, that the batsman has absolutely smashed into their pad or the two from the Richardson over last night etc.

If these guys are the best available, I can't imagine what happens in grade cricket around the country o_O

Perhaps get involved. Easy to have a go from the cheap seats. All associations would love more umpires.. id love to have more in the association im president of.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

(Log in to remove this ad.)

And the effort from the umpire in the Scorchers v Strikers on Saturday night. Munro given not out on 0 (LBW) and on 72 (caught behind). Very costly (even though Rashid dropped a sitter) and then gives young Drew out caught behind when the ball clipped his trouser pocket.

Was only borderline for the LBW, would have probably been umpires call on impact if reviewed. The caught behind was a stinker. Same ump I think.

And the effort from the umpire in the Scorchers v Strikers on Saturday night. Munro given not out on 0 (LBW) and on 72 (caught behind). Very costly (even though Rashid dropped a sitter) and then gives young Drew out caught behind when the ball clipped his trouser pocket.
You're 100% correct.
It's not just that give a lot of bad decisions in one direction.
They consistently give stone dead plumb cases not out and then give a guy out lbw when it's pitched outside leg.
Makes zero sense :shrug:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back