Premiership Player
Nov 16, 2001
Vic
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Fitzroy side of the family.
Can someone explain this to me?
3 mins to go, Lions Vs Swans, Swans by less than a goal, ball in Lions forward line two on two ball in play. Reasonably open ball still in play.

30 seconds earlier, Sinclair hurts knee deep in Swans forward line.

Swans call for stretcher, appear to notify ump, ump blows whistle to stop play. Remembering, as I said, reasonably open Lions forward line, but contested footy still in play. A 50/50 scenario.

Ump stops play. Sinclair gets up, runs off ground. In the stopped play, Swans flood back into Lions forward line so to clog up. Ump balls up ball to restart game.

What is the onus here?
Sinclair was no where near play. why doesn't Ump await stop in play, or if to a point where Sinclair is in danger?
How can Sinclair just get up and run off?

The cynic in me says it was opportunistic. Yes he was injured, but not a stretcher case. Used as an opportunity to stop the game, to clog the defense.

umpire should have been smart and played to the next stoppage.

Got a cramp so the Swans call for the stretcher.

Suspicious.

Was this at the Swans game or Swansea game? Pretty disgusting if this has come into our game if true.

Source: http://s.afl.com.au/staticfile/AFL Tenant/AFL/Files/Images/2016 Laws of Australian Football.pdf

7.3 USE OF STRETCHER
7.3.1 Health and Safety of Player
Any Player who is injured during a Match and who, in the opinion of a doctor, trainer or Official, requires the assistance of a stretcher, shall be attended by the Team’s training staff and a stretcher as soon as possible so as to ensure the health and safety of the Player.

7.3.2 Procedure
Where a stretcher is required, the following procedure shall apply:
(a) upon being advised or noticing that a Player requires a stretcher, the field Umpire shall stop play at the earliest opportunity and unless a doctor considers or it is apparent that it is unsafe to do so, the Player must be removed from the Playing Surface on the stretcher by the shortest possible route and taken direct to their Team’s change rooms;
(b) a Team may replace the injured Player with a Player listed on its Team Sheet, who must enter the Playing Surface via the Interchange Area;
(c) the Interchange Steward may allow the Player who is replacing the injured Player to enter the Playing Surface before the injured Player is removed from the Playing Surface;
(d) once the injured Player has been removed from the Playing Surface, the field Umpire shall recommence play as follows depending on the circumstances:
(i) where the football was in dispute at the time play was stopped, by throwing the football;
(ii) where the football was out of bounds at the time play was stopped, by directing the boundary Umpire to throw the football in;
(iii) where a Player had possession of the football at the time play was stopped, by awarding a Free Kick to the Player;
(iv) where a Player had been awarded a Free Kick or a Mark at the time play was stopped, by allowing the Player to dispose of the football.
(e) a Player for whom a stretcher was called shall not resume playing for a period of 20 minutes (excluding intervals between quarters) from the time when the Player left the Playing Surface. After the 20-minute period has expired, the Player may be interchanged in accordance with the procedure set out under Rule 7.2 provided the Player is able, having due regard to their health and safety, to resume playing in the Match; and
(f) Where a stretcher enters the Playing Surface but the Player elects to walk off, all provisions of law 7.3.2 apply but the Player may go to the Interchange Bench.

Lucky the ball wasn't in a Brisbane Lions' players hand when the stretcher was called otherwise it would have been a free kick. It is too much of a gamble to say that it was on purpose.

Would the Swans have done it earlier in the game? Be without Sinclair for 20 minutes? I highly doubt it given he could run off the ground. That in itself means it screams out as a tactical ploy, rather than an act in the interests of the injured player.

So the umpire actually needs to use his brains here. "At the earliest opportunity" is more than open to interpretation. The rules of our game are all about interpretation, from holding the ball to deliberate out of bounds and everything in between.

Importantly, the wording IS NOT "must stop the play immediately". The wording itself yells out that it is open to the umpires sensible interpretation of the actual circumstances presented.

Common bloody sense says one umpire umpires, one umpire watches, one umpire monitors the injury scenario which is 120 metres away with the player in no danger and not facing a dangerous scenario. He wasn't knocked out, swallowing his tongue. He had trainers there. In the case today, the 'earliest opportunity' should be when play dictates it. A ball up was potentially seconds away, as was potentially a ball in, as was potentially a handball out to a free lion in the forward line with 3 mins left on the clock in an open forward line in a close game.

Prefer to lose to the Swannies by three without this sort of circumstance. The cynic in me is still thinking it was used not for what was intended, with the ump failing to interpret the circumstances in a fair manner.

Would the Swans have done it earlier in the game? Be without Sinclair for 20 minutes? I highly doubt it given he could run off the ground. That in itself means it screams out as a tactical ploy, rather than an act in the interests of the injured player.

So the umpire actually needs to use his brains here. "At the earliest opportunity" is more than open to interpretation. The rules of our game are all about interpretation, from holding the ball to deliberate out of bounds and everything in between.

Importantly, the wording IS NOT "must stop the play immediately". The wording itself yells out that it is open to the umpires sensible interpretation of the actual circumstances presented.

Common bloody sense says one umpire umpires, one umpire watches, one umpire monitors the injury scenario which is 120 metres away with the player in no danger and not facing a dangerous scenario. He wasn't knocked out, swallowing his tongue. He had trainers there. In the case today, the 'earliest opportunity' should be when play dictates it. A ball up was potentially seconds away, as was potentially a ball in, as was potentially a handball out to a free lion in the forward line with 3 mins left on the clock in an open forward line in a close game.

Prefer to lose to the Swannies by three without this sort of circumstance. The cynic in me is still thinking it was used not for what was intended, with the ump failing to interpret the circumstances in a fair manner.

As you know, I fully support your view on this.

However, I fear that because the incident "only" involved the Lions, it will get absolutely no air play in the media.

Needed to happen to a big Vic club like Collingwood, Richmond or Essendon and then the debating, not to mention a fair dose of bleating and whinging would have got airplay for days on end.

Yours in cynicism.

Source: http://s.afl.com.au/staticfile/AFL Tenant/AFL/Files/Images/2016 Laws of Australian Football.pdf

7.3 USE OF STRETCHER
7.3.1 Health and Safety of Player
Any Player who is injured during a Match and who, in the opinion of a doctor, trainer or Official, requires the assistance of a stretcher, shall be attended by the Team’s training staff and a stretcher as soon as possible so as to ensure the health and safety of the Player.

7.3.2 Procedure
(a) upon being advised or noticing that a Player requires a stretcher, the field Umpire shall stop play at the earliest opportunity and unless a doctor considers or it is apparent that it is unsafe to do so, the Player must be removed from the Playing Surface on the stretcher by the shortest possible route and taken direct to their Team’s change rooms;
(b) a Team may replace the injured Player with a Player listed on its Team Sheet, who must enter the Playing Surface via the Interchange Area;
(c) the Interchange Steward may allow the Player who is replacing the injured Player to enter the Playing Surface before the injured Player is removed from the Playing Surface;
(d) once the injured Player has been removed from the Playing Surface, the field Umpire shall recommence play as follows depending on the circumstances:
(i) where the football was in dispute at the time play was stopped, by throwing the football;
(ii) where the football was out of bounds at the time play was stopped, by directing the boundary Umpire to throw the football in;
(iii) where a Player had possession of the football at the time play was stopped, by awarding a Free Kick to the Player;
(iv) where a Player had been awarded a Free Kick or a Mark at the time play was stopped, by allowing the Player to dispose of the football.
(e) a Player for whom a stretcher was called shall not resume playing for a period of 20 minutes (excluding intervals between quarters) from the time when the Player left the Playing Surface. After the 20-minute period has expired, the Player may be interchanged in accordance with the procedure set out under Rule 7.2 provided the Player is able, having due regard to their health and safety, to resume playing in the Match; and
(f) Where a stretcher enters the Playing Surface but the Player elects to walk off, all provisions of law 7.3.2 apply but the Player may go to the Interchange Bench.

Lucky the ball wasn't in a Brisbane Lions' players hand when the stretcher was called otherwise it would have been a free kick. It is too much of a gamble to say that it was on purpose.
Cramp

i have no doubt this cost the lions the win.....
Can you give me some numbers for the lotto this week?

If anyone seriously thinks that Sinclair stayed down clutching his knee in pain for over a minute until the ball was up the other end so that they could deliberately stop the play is siily.

At the end of the day the ump probably shouldn't have stopped the play but i think we all know how many mistakes umpires make in this league.

Can you give me some numbers for the lotto this week?

If anyone seriously thinks that Sinclair stayed down clutching his knee in pain for over a minute until the ball was up the other end so that they could deliberately stop the play is siily.

At the end of the day the ump probably shouldn't have stopped the play but i think we all know how many mistakes umpires make in this league.

am i not allowed to have an opinion? brssy had the momentum at that stage....so why did the stretcher come on again? did he not run off? did the doctors asset the injury, then call for the stretcher, only to let him run off? or did someone just call for the stretcher without kniwing the extent if the injury, to stop play?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bitchitis and/or steplarmaylose would see instant stretcher requirements. Cramp and/or owees are usually a lollipop, 4 points or cuddle remedies.

i have no doubt this cost the lions the win.....
I am a Lions supporter...Not so sure if we can say what you've said. we can say it cost us an opportunity. That I firmly believe.

Last edited:
am i not allowed to have an opinion? brssy had the momentum at that stage....so why did the stretcher come on again? did he not run off? did the doctors asset the injury, then call for the stretcher, only to let him run off? or did someone just call for the stretcher without kniwing the extent if the injury, to stop play?

These are good points. I would not say that Sinclair faked an injury. But I think it questionable as to if it was a stretcher case, and as to who assessed it was a stretcher case. Sinclair was down for over a minute yes, but I'd suggest under two minutes or so. I think it unusual to think that a Swans medico could assess in that time that he needed a stretcher, only to have the diagnosis so wrong that Sinclair could run off under his own steam less than another minute later, literally seconds after the play was stopped. And for the medico to let him run off, given he thought only a minute or so earlier he deemed it necessary to remove Sinclair by stretcher.....

Horribly wrong diagnosis. I'd suggest it was opportunistic to call for the stretcher.

I do believe the umpire erred. But he wouldn't have had to interpret if the Swans hadn't called for the stretcher in the first place.

These are good points. I would not say that Sinclair faked an injury. But I think it questionable as to if it was a stretcher case, and as to who assessed it was a stretcher case. Sinclair was down for over a minute yes, but I'd suggest under two minutes or so. I think it unusual to think that a Swans medico could assess in that time that he needed a stretcher, only to have the diagnosis so wrong that Sinclair could run off under his own steam less than another minute later, literally seconds after the play was stopped. And for the medico to let him run off, given he thought only a minute or so earlier he deemed it necessary to remove Sinclair by stretcher.....

Horribly wrong diagnosis. I'd suggest it was opportunistic to call for the stretcher.

I do believe the umpire erred. But he wouldn't have had to interpret if the Swans hadn't called for the stretcher in the first place.
The only thing is, if a Lions player happened to be holding the ball when play stopped, it would've been a free kick to Brisbane in our forward 50. Given how long it takes for a message to get from the box to the field/umpires, or the view the medic would have had from where he was inside the lions goal square to where play was; is it really likely that this was a cynical ploy? The risk would have been huge. I just think it was one of those situations that crop up, and no-one is to blame.

Someone probably made the sign for the stretcher, honestly thinking it was needed. Then Sinclair said he could manage to limp off, so they never brought the stretcher out. Isn't this just the most likely scenario?

Someone probably made the sign for the stretcher, honestly thinking it was needed. Then Sinclair said he could manage to limp off, so they never brought the stretcher out. Isn't this just the most likely scenario?

As I mentioned earlier, if it happens in the third minute of the quarter, they would not call a stretcher and endanger losing a player for 20 mins who may not actually be that injured. I can not see a medico making a diagnosis of it being a stretcher case one minute, and allowing the guy to run off a minute later. Leppa indicated he thought it was a Runner who notified the Ump. To me it seems an opportunistic move from a runner to get a stop in play, which is what the Ump has given him. Big chance he was thinking that the Ump would call a halt to play, unaware of what you've said in relation to the Lions being potentially in possession of the ball and getting a 'free'.

More than likely, but it won't stop people from trying to argue otherwise.

r7.3.2 Procedure

look at point a....afl in damage control....

r7.3.2 Procedure

look at point a....afl in damage control....

Uh wot. "earliest OPPORTUNITY".

http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport...y/news-story/253e4138291e6d9713e1d1bc992030cb

“The umpire has the discretion to stop continuous play when it may interfere with an injured player or the persons attending an injured player. This was not the case here with play at the opposite end to the ground to the injured player.

When a stretcher is on the ground/has been called for, play will be stopped at the next break in play — at the next mark, ball up, out of bounds, free kick — but again this was not the case in this instance.

The decision to stop play at the time it was stopped was an error.”

Remove this Banner Ad

Back