News & Events stretcharmstrong's comprehensive compendium of laconic word definitions

Remove this Banner Ad

Main Entry: la·con·ic
Pronunciation: \lə-ˈkä-nik\
Function: adjective
Etymology: Latin laconicus Spartan, from Greek lakōnikos; from the Spartan reputation for terseness of speech
Date: 1589
: using or involving the use of a minimum of words : to the point of seeming rude or mysterious
synonyms: concise

Sorry, I just had to do it. It was probably the fourth, maybe the fifth incorrect use of the word that tipped me over the edge.

Main Entry: la·con·ic
Pronunciation: \lə-ˈkä-nik\
Function: adjective
Etymology: Latin laconicus Spartan, from Greek lakōnikos; from the Spartan reputation for terseness of speech
Date: 1589
: using or involving the use of a minimum of words : to the point of seeming rude or mysterious
synonyms: concise

Sorry, I just had to do it. It was probably the fourth, maybe the fifth incorrect use of the word that tipped me over the edge.

Interesting, fair to say not many people would know the correct use of that word. I certainly didn't.

Yeah. It gets thrown around all the time when talking about Watts - especially by the talking heads in the media. Nobody seems to know what it means.

It's one of those words that has taken on a new meaning in a contemporary sense. It's not too far away from the fact when talking about someone I would have though. Fair point, however. Word use isn't what I was taught it meant either.

Yeah. It gets thrown around all the time when talking about Watts - especially by the talking heads in the media. Nobody seems to know what it means.
The term has been adopted within sport (Not just AFL) to describe someone who appears to use a minimum of effort to get the required result. The term may not be an entirely correct use of the word but the sense & inference of the word translates well into describing the manner with which a player ply's his trade on the football field.

I'd suggest there a many words used today have an original context or meaning that is far removed from the modern usage of it. Interesting point though.
It's one of those words that has taken on a new meaning in a contemporary sense. It's not too far away from the fact when talking about someone I would have though. Fair point, however. Word use isn't what I was taught it meant either.
Agree.

The term has been adopted within sport (Not just AFL) to describe someone who appears to use a minimum of effort to get the required result. The term may not be an entirely correct use of the word but the sense & inference of the word translates well into describing the manner with which a player ply's his trade on the football field.

I'd suggest there a many words used today have an original context or meaning that is far removed from the modern usage of it. Interesting point though.

Agree.
Yeah right o :rolleyes:
I'm not sure when you decided you would become the dictionary of sporting adjectives - what a load of waffle!
It's clearly just a perpetuation of an incorrect use and it is not accepted or the norm as you seem to imply. Come on...

Anyway back OT - sign a contract Jack!

Yeah right o :rolleyes:
I'm not sure when you decided you would become the dictionary of sporting adjectives - what a load of waffle!
It's clearly just a perpetuation of an incorrect use and it is not accepted or the norm as you seem to imply. Come on...

Anyway back OT - sign a contract Jack!

What could you possibly take offence to from that?

What could you possibly take offence to from that?
Just the way it was stated like a well understood fact that the word had adopted a new meaning amongst a wider group of people "not just the afl"; when I'd suggest that it is just the afl, and even within afl circles I'd say the use of the word laconic to describe someone's on field demeanor would actually be limited to only describing Jack Watts.

Crim basically just spun a bunch of crap and wrote it out like it was a well accepted truth.

Thought this didn't need to be in the JW thread but didn't warrant deletion lest I be called more names by stretch. ;) It could even end up a decent discussion.

I've decided to stick with the 'I's' stretcharmstrong but just want to run it by you before committing to the word.

Would 'lackadaisical' be a more appropriate word to use stretch & if so can we get your imprimatur? And before you say anything, I'm aware you may not be a catholic.

:thumbsu:

PS: If you don't like the name of the thread let me know I'll change it.

Thought this didn't need to be in the JW thread but didn't warrant deletion lest I be called more names by stretch. ;) It could even end up a decent discussion.

I've decided to stick with the 'I's' stretcharmstrong but just want to run it by you before committing to the word.

Would 'lackadaisical' be a more appropriate word to use stretch & if so can we get your imprimatur? And before you say anything, I'm aware you may not be a catholic.

:thumbsu:

PS: If you don't like the name of the thread let me know I'll change it.

Except don't you mean (in the spirit of this thread) lacksadaisical? :)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How prevalent has this were seen on the commentary for the football this year? It's everywhere.

I have to say they have been laconic in their use of the English language.

Settle down, mate. It's an opinion business. I think you are being very defensive. After all the BS I've witnessed from MFC, I'm less forgiving of effort deficits. Max didn't deal well at all with the free kicks he was giving up in the ruck contests. Granted, he had reason to be frustrated, but he was spending time on field sooking it up. It affected his effort level. He took laconic to a new level - injury notwithstanding. If he couldn't put in the effort due to injury, he shouldn't have been playing until he was ready. Maybe he's one of those players who can't play injured. I think Max's funk was a significant part of why we didn't play finals this year. Should have stuck with Pedersen until Max was right to go. He barely fired a shot after returning from injury.

Try googling the definition of "fulsome" and then prepare to cringe at how wrongly that word is used all the time

Does fulsome get used a lot?

fulsome
ˈfʊls(ə)m/
adjective
  1. 1.
    complimentary or flattering to an excessive degree.
    "the press are embarrassingly fulsome in their appreciation"
    synonyms: enthusiastic, ample, profuse, extensive, generous, liberal, lavish, glowing, gushing, gushy; More

2. 2.
    of large size or quantity; generous or abundant.
    "the fulsome details of the later legend"

Just the way it was stated like a well understood fact that the word had adopted a new meaning amongst a wider group of people "not just the afl"; when I'd suggest that it is just the afl, and even within afl circles I'd say the use of the word laconic to describe someone's on field demeanor would actually be limited to only describing Jack Watts.

Crim basically just spun a bunch of crap and wrote it out like it was a well accepted truth.

Something that irritates me is that when a word is incorrectly used by enough people, instead of correcting the mistake, it becomes "common usage".

Another entrant.
Certainly doesn't look good that we are doing all we can to get Hannan up when Jeff is healthy and available. If you can't put extra effort in now when there's a potential spot up for grabs, then when.... For my mind he always looked to be a little apathetic when he played, just his laconic nature and hence going missing for large chunks of games. Thing is she said it really stood out how little he was putting into the session. Not a good sign.
Pick 60 you say....only if he shaves that beard.

Re Jack Watts:
Honestly looks more laconic. Reckon he cared more about us than Port. Which is why he was able to have the odd exceptional game for us.

stretcharmstrong be honest, did you first hear about the definition of laconic on the Dan Carlin 'King of Kings' podcast?

Apologies for my laconic style of questioning.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back