Past Steven Browne

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: Steven Browne

Sorry to go a bit off topic but did you guys realise browne is about a month older than gibbs! I think a lot of people tend to forget how young bryce is.

dunno what it is about this bloke, but ive got the feeling hes going to be incredibly important to our future success
has some real mongrel to him and is incredibly brave going backwards, doesnt seem to care what happens to him so long as he wins the footy

reminds me of luke hodge. probably wont get noticed much for a while (theres a reason hodgey went at no.3), but i reckon when he dos he'll be considered one of the bargains of the years draft

i forsee a lot of supporters putting 15 on their jumpers in the future

dunno what it is about this bloke, but ive got the feeling hes going to be incredibly important to our future success
has some real mongrel to him and is incredibly brave going backwards, doesnt seem to care what happens to him so long as he wins the footy

reminds me of luke hodge. probably wont get noticed much for a while (theres a reason hodgey went at no.2), but i reckon when he dos he'll be considered one of the bargains of the years draft

i forsee a lot of supporters putting 15 on their jumpers in the future
Huh?!?!

Anyone got any infomation on how Browne is travelling? I noticed that they listed him as an emergency for the game tonight.

Don't take my word as gospel but I'm pretty sure he was injured over the preseason and just recovered in time to play the 1 match in the NAB Cup where he was impressive.

Looks to me as though the coaching staff want to see him get some match fitness up in the Bullants and try to push his way into the seniors.

Is there a spot for him in our 22? I love the kid and hope he does get a go this season.

Re: Steven BrOWNe

Do we still rate Browne as a future AFL player?

Mark Riley's list assessment

Steven Browne
Brownie is like a race horse in that he does his best work on a Saturday afternoon, but not so much during the week despite training really hard. He's very versatile and courageous. We were stoked with his performance in the NAB Cup semi which was his first hitout. Needs to work on his ground ball handling and 'depth' kicking.

Browne hasn't played since the Essendon game and doesn't appear to be in contention this week. The quicker Joseph appears to have taken Browne's spot as a defender/small midfielder/tagger. Yet Steven was also behind Armfield until last week.

I reckon Browne has more AFL talent than the nuggety McQualter who has carved a niche for himself as a defensive small forward/onballer.

Though Browne is better overhead as that mark in my previous post shows.

Had solid games on Masten and Rich as a negating midfielder IIRC.

Browne is one player who could move on the ball if he improves his tank and his disposal.

Potentially a similar player to Sam Lonergan who attacks the ball in a similar vein to Browne.

Though Browne has a bit more run and carry in his game.

Showed a lot of hardness against the Saints with 6 contested possessions.

Had 12 contested possessions in his 25 touch game against the Crows.

The next Brett Ratten? ;)

Blues coach's tough choices

Ratten debuted for the Blues in the final round of 1990 and played nearly every game in the next two seasons. After starting in a back pocket he worked himself into a prized midfield role, where his hard work and head-over-the-ball style became staples of his game for the next decade.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hows Browney going for your VFL side?

Good enough to be promoted to the senior side this week ;)

I haven't been down to see a Bullants game but from all reports he has been solid throughout the season, and was excellent last weekend.

Been a bit disappointed that Browney hasn't been able to break into the Carlton side for more games this season but I imagine he is still well and truly in the long-term plans of the Carlton Football Club and will be a very good little player.

Re: 15. Steven Browne

This thread has been used sparingly of late but not anymore. Reading some of the reports from pre-season training Steven has been putting in the hard yards, very good to hear. I'll be keeping a close eye on this fella, love how he approaches his footy on the weekends, tough, courageous, clean user of the footy. Hopefully he can stay injury free this season, cement/push for a spot in our 22 and produce performances like the one in the VFL Grand Final last year.

A lot of people have gone with Browne in the back pocket for their best 22's, but in my opinion Denis Armfield is still well in front of him.

Browne is definitely a more complete and well-rounded footballer than Armfield, but the area that Armfield has Browne easily covered in is perhaps the most critical of all: pace. I think Browne's lack of speed is going to the biggest problem in him a cementing a spot down back.

Despite his iffy disposal, Armfield really impressed me in 2009 with his increasing confidence to take the game on and break lines. It is the way of modern football, and the more players capable of regularly breaking lines a team has the better.

Browne is tough, courageous and a neat kick, but I'm not sure he'll be able to take that next step from the VFL and keep up with quality AFL forwards.

2010 looms as an important year for Browne. Hopefully he's been working hard on his pace at training. With his uncompromising attack on the footy and accomplished reading of the play, he could be a great addition to our defensive setup.

Don't think Browne's pace isn't as bad as you are making it out to be. When compared to Armfield he may look to be a little on the slow side but he isn't the only one made to look that way. You make it sound like he is Bentick slow. His pace isn't something you'd rave about but it isn't bad enough to say he can't make the grade because of it.

It is an important year for Browne though.

the thing with browne compared to armfield and even joseph is his versatility. He has the best hands,courage and can consistantly kick goals over 50 metres although his pace is not elite it is not an issue.

Browne only played the first half yesterday but i thought he put in a very good performance, seems that have really put some strength into his legs and is looking in top shape.

Played on the wing on Walker in the half that he played in and i thought he held his own. Walker got away a couple of times but Browne was clean with boths hands and feet. First couple of kicks were with his left and he nicely placed the footy on each occasion. Ran hard, would play the link up man on the break very nicely pushing into space. Went in hard as usual, a very solid hit out. Where he fits in this year i think it's hard to gage at this point but i certainly can see him down the track being part of the midfield rotation, has that mixture of class and toughness. Would like to see how he reads the play off the ruckman. Definitely didn't do anything wrong to hurt his chances of playing Round 1.

Was Browne's disposal and decision making better playing in the U 18 champs?

His disposal was good in 2008, but he was inconsistent last year.

Neat kick on the run with both feet, but not if he's hemmed into a corner and has to stop and prop to find a target.

Sloppy decision making and disposal on the weekend.

Might lack the pace and the smarts of a Yarran/Judd/Murphy/Gibbs to get out of trouble if he doesn't have a clear target to kick to. Armfield, Joseph, Yarran, Betts, Garlett and Walker have a second gear if they're about to get caught.

I'd have Armfield ahead of him for round one.

I loved the hardness and courage to smash into Bevan.

Would like to see move into the midfield rotation as a tagger/inside midfielder to take smaller mids like Masten, Murphy and Rich.

Though it's hard to see how we can play him in the same midfield with Murphy and Mclean.

Just went through the game on the weekend and inspired by Bluebear, went through to see how the fella went.

Round 1 NAB Cup vs Sydney (Bankstown)

Stats -

Kicks 12 (8 effective 66%)
Handballs 8 (6 effective 75%)
Touches 20
Contested 8
Uncontested 12
Marks 7
Tackles 3
Spoils 2
Turnovers 2
Goals 0
Behinds 0
Effectiveness 70%

1st Quarter -
Started on the wing opposed to Jack. (Time 17.30 minutes – 8.00 minutes)
  • Attempted to receive a handball behind the pack but fumbled. Jack received the ball and got a kick inside 50.
  • Big hit on Bevan, clean front on contact.
  • Gathered a shank from Bolton just outside our attacking 50, clean hands and handballed (under pressure) the ball a foot in front of McLean who got caught and a ball up was called. (contested, ineffective handball)
  • Picked up a tough handball below his knees at the back of a stoppage from Grigg and fed it to Carrazzo, clean and effective possession. (contested, effective handball)
  • Recieved a 20m kick in the back pocket, quickly moved it onto Davies, 20m pass down the corridor, effective. (uncontested, effective kick)
Jack - 2 touches (1k 1hb), 1 FKF
Browne - 3 touches (1k 2hb), 1 mark

From the bench went to the back pocket and played on O’Dwyer late in the quarter (6.00 minutes – 0.00 minutes)
  • Jetta pumps the ball to about 20 out, O’Dwyer had the position but Browne effected a very good spoil. Gathered the ball after Pykie’s poor handball, showed pose, sidestepped the big fella, was then rushed into a left sided kick on the boundry and grubbed the kick 10m. Bevan gathered, put it to the square but Lucas was there. (spoil, contested, ineffective kick)
  • O’Dwyer gathered in congestion but Browne lays a tackle and Matt looses the ball. (tackle)
O’Dwyer - 0 touches
Browne - 1 touch (1k), 1 tackle, 1 spoil

2nd Quarter -
Started on the bench

Came on and went to the centre bounce along side McGlynn (11.00 minutes – 10.00 minutes)
  • Got a soccer off the ground and a clearance in the Blues direction from the centre bounce. (contested, effective kick, clearance)
  • Recieves a handball from Gibbs, fumbled but gathered and gave a short handball to Carrazzo. (uncontested, effective handball)
McGlynn - 0 touches, 1 tackle
Browne - 2 touches (1k 1hb)

McGlynn came off and he went to the wing on Jetta (10.00 minutes – 7.30 minutes)
  • Recieved a handball from Hadley and hit a 30m lace out pass to Robinson. (uncontested, effective kick)
Jetta - 0 touches
Browne - 1 touch (1k)

Joseph moved to Jetta so Browne moves to Rohan on the half back line (7.30 minutes – 6.30 minutes)
  • 25m out from the Blues goal Browne on all fours trying to gather the ball in but with 3 Swans around him doesn’t do so and the ball gets cleared to the wing.
  • Goodes coming one way Browne doesn’t flinch and meets him front on, ball still in pursuit.
Rohan - 0 touches
Browne - 0 touches

Seemed to be running free across half back (6.30 minutes – 3.00 minutes)
  • Lays a tackle on Kirk
  • Fist the ball over the line after a Rohan long kick inside 50. (spoil)
Moved back to O’Dwyer in the back pocket (3.00 minutes – 0.00)
  • Recieved a kick from Thornton on the wing. Kicks it 30m backwards straight back to Thornton who switches. (uncontested, effective kick)
O’Dwyer - 2 touches (2hb)
Browne - 1 touch (1k), 1 mark

Possessions for the half:
Browne – 8 touches (5k, 3hb), 2 marks, 2 tackles and 2 spoils
Opposition – 4 touches (1k, 3hb), 0 marks 1 tackle

3rd Quarter -
Started in the back pocket on Trent Dennis-Lane (17.30 minutes – 11.30 minutes)
  • Perssued Dennis-Lane on the half forward flank and stopped him from getting a touch using his body.
  • Recieves a handball from Scotland, rebound kick outside 50m. Short 20m pass that didn’t hit the target due to Wiggins falling over backwards, ball trickles out of play. (uncontested, ineffective kick)
Dennis-Lane - 0 touches
Browne - 1 touch (1k)

Brought back on to be put on the dangerous Jetta (10.30 minutes – 7.15 minutes)
  • Very unlucky, just came on was tracking Jetta, a little loosely when Anderson tripped Jetta up and gave away a free-kick. Jetta went back and slotted it from 50.
  • Gathered the ball on the wing in front of Jetta after a contest and gave a short effective handball to Davies. (contested, effective handball)
  • Recieved the ball from a quick kick in by Thornton, tried to hit Lucas 40m down the line, just landed short and went out of bounds for a throw in. (uncontested, effective kick)
Jetta - 3 touches (3k), 1 goal, 1 behind
Browne - 2 touches (1k 1hb), 1 mark

Jetta came off and Browne went back to Trent Dennis-Lane (7.15 minutes – 4.00 minutes)
  • Recieved a kick in from the back pocket, hit Russell 20m up the corridor. (uncontested, effective kick)
Dennis-Lane - 0 touches
Browne - 1 touch (1k), 1 mark

Came off and then back on to Jetta (2.00 minutes – 0.00)
  • Push hard to receive a kick from Jamison just ouside our defensive 50. Juggled but held onto the mark in the end and kicked the ball 20m sideways to Thornton. (uncontested, effective kick)
  • Ran hard to receive a handball from Gibbs, got pushed by Jetta just as he was about to handball and it went straight to Pykie, turnover. (uncontested, ineffective handball, turnover)
  • Gathered the crumbs from a marking contest in traffic and fed a handball out to Gibbs. (contested, effective handball)
Jetta - 0 touches, 1 tackle
Browne - 3 touches (1k 2hb), 1 mark

4th Quarter -
Started on the wing on Jetta (17.30 minutes – 8.30 minutes)
  • Goes in hard and knocks Rohan out of the contest, follows up with a handball receive from Jamison but then tumbles a left foot kick 35m straight to Seaby. (uncontested, ineffective kick)
  • Jetta took off and Rohan tried to find him with a handball but it was intercepted by Browne who was on Jetta’s hammer. Got the handball off to Robinson just as Jetta laid to tackle. (contested, effective handball)
  • Mattner fumbles a mark on the wing, 50/50 ball and Browne goes diving head first, holds the play up and stops the rebound from the Swans defensive 50. He and Mattner were down hurt for a few seconds.
Jetta - 1 touch (1k)
Browne - 2 touches (1k 1hb)

Jetta went off and Browne moved onto Bird, still on the wing (8.30 minutes – 6.30 minutes)
  • Cut an O’Dwyer pass off bravely infront of two on coming players, read the play beautifully and gave a quick dish off to Grigg. (uncontested, effective handball)
  • Hit the pack hard after a boundry throw in and scoops up the ball but was pushed in the back by Rohan. Kicks the ball 20m to Scotland down the corridor, still inside defensive 50 though. Pushes into space and receives back from Scotland, plays on but instead of giving a dish to and open Grigg he uses his left and turns it over 30m up the field. (contested, uncontested, effective kick, ineffective kick, turnover)
Bird - 0 touches
Browne - 3 touches (2k 1hb), 2 marks, 1 FF

Was then pushed back to the back flank on Rohan (6.30 minutes – 5.00 minutes)
  • Rohan leads him to the ball and grabs a mark on the lead just outside 50.
Rohan - 1 touch (1k), 1 mark
Browne - 0 touches

Moved back onto the wing running free (5.00 minutes – 4.00 minutes)
  • Lays a great tackle on Mattner when the Swans were away to cause a turnover.
Came off and finished on the bench.

Possessions for the half:
Browne – 12 touches (7k, 5 hb), 5 marks, 1 tackle 1 FF
Opposition – 5 touches (5k), 1 mark, 1 tackle, 1 goal, 1 behind

He had a very solid first half, did his job and made a couple of fumbles. Always stayed tight to his man, never let his opponent get too far away. Was a little lost late in the 1st, couldn't really find his man. Rushed a few touches but overall, solid out put. Second half he got more of the ball but made a few mistakes. Defensively was very good again, going in hard laying a top tackle. Let Jetta a little loose late in the 3rd, unlucky with the goal but absolutely blanketed him early in the fourth. He looked good on the wing, more of a defensive game, didn't try to run off his man too often. Defensively he did a good job, a couple of lapses in consentration when he had the footy and a few fumbles. He may have turned the ball over a couple of times but he also caused a few turnovers himself, very much a team player. Obviously can get better but not the worst hit out for the year, seemed more impressive in the intra-club match.

Jack - 2 touches (1k 1hb), 1 FF
O'Dwyer - 2 touches (2hb)
Rohan - 1 touch (1k), 1 mark
McGlynn - 0 touches, 1 tackle
Jetta - 4 touches (4k), 1 tackle, 1 goal, 1 behind
Trent Dennis-Lane - 0 touches

Overall – 9 touches (6k 3hb), 1 mark, 2 tackles, 1 goal, 1 behind

Remove this Banner Ad

Back