sportstalk07

All Australian
Jul 10, 2007
Around Tasmania
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Northern Tassie
Round 1B will commence on Friday with 3 games in Hobart, Launceston and Burnie.
Firstly the Hobart Tigers return to their traditional strip of yellow and black and will certainly attract the masses when they face Glenorchy at the TCA. Much expectation has been placed on Hobart from within for a good season and they'll certainly be looking for a good start here. Glenorchy while competitive in Round 1A will now know what to expect in this competition.
At West Park the coastal derby between Burnie and Devonport will be interesting to view as it always is, Burnie will be stung into action after their disappointing performance on Saturday while Devonport will be looking to get some momentum rolling.
Under lights at Aurora, North Launceston and Launceston face off and last time the two sides met under lights it was a Launceston walkover! A repeat perhaps? We'll see.
To round off on Saturday at North Hobart, North Hobart play Clarence and with Clarence likely to have Geappen, Setchell, Blight and Thurley in their side it could prove too much for the Demons.

Fixture:
Hobart v Glenorchy at TCA (2pm Friday)
Burnie v Devonport at West Park (2pm Friday)
North Launceston v Launceston at Aurora Stadium (6pm Friday)
North Hobart v Clarence at North Hobart (2pm Saturday)

Tips: Hobart by 11, Burnie by 48, Launceston by 56, Clarence by 29

Apparently Geappen out of Clarence side for a few weeks, may give North a better chance on saturday. You have put the pressure on Hobart, they do grow a leg at home though. Dont be suprised if Devonport & North L'ton do ok. At least one of those teams have spent some money to impress!!:)

I agree North want get near Launcestontomorrow night.... Launnie to many good players North dont have anyone to go with them...

Blues walk in the park!

Kingpin, come up and say g'day @ the TCA tomorrow.

I am the fat bloke wearing glasses behind the video camera.

I will have a beer ready for you.

Duff

Duff - I'll be there at some stage, might be back over in my old possie for the senior match.
Will catch up at some stage though, just knocked off from a 4-4 shift :thumbsdown:

Reserves Quarter Time
Launceston 4.3.27
North Launceston 2.2.14

Half Time

Launceston 8.4.52
North Launceston 6.5.41

Three Quarter Time
Launceston 12.6.72
North Launceston 6.6.42

Final Scores
Launceston 12.13.85
North Launceston 7.6.48

(Log in to remove this ad.)

hobart were terrible today
I'm afraid so, yes.
Apart from a 10 minute stretch in the middle part of the first quarter, Glenorchy ran all over Hobart.
The Pies were clearly on top in every part of the ground, and it was only the fact that they kicked 3.13 in the first quarter to the Horace Smith Stand end that they never won by 20+ goals.
Glenorchy made Hobart look hurried and under extreme pressure when ever they got near the ball all day.
Hobart are a very young side, I didn't/don't expect them to do much this season, but they'll hopefully learn lots of lessons from that defeat.
It's going to be a very much longterm thing for the Tigers rather than a quick fix solution.
There was an excellent crowd at the TCA Ground, over 2,000 people with lots of support for Hobart, many of them former players and supporters that haven't been for several years.
I just hope a loss as bad as that one so early on doesn't see their crowds literally halve by mid season (as we've seen so often before).
It was the first time I've had to queue up at the gate to enter a roster matches for many, many, many years - awesome to see :thumbsu:
Only disappointment for me (result aside) was the old Hobart drummer (Jungle Denehey) went to enter the ground but was told he wasn't allowed to bring his drum in and bang it for Hobart.
He promptly turned around and left. Slow learners up there :thumbsdown:

Are Burnie going through a bit of a trot or are Devonport competitive?
Nice to see, despite the pre-season doom & gloom predictions for Devvo that they stuck to the Dockers at West Park for three quarters.
North Launceston, the old Robins off to a 2-0 start, winning both their Aurora Stadium matches so far, great effort in knocking off Launceston tonight.

Any ideas of crowds at West Park and Aurora Stadium?

From The Saturday Mercury:

11th April 2009: So Close To Perfection.
By Adam Smith - Link

A stunning 11-minute burst in the second quarter got Glenorchy's Tasmanian Statewide League season up and running yesterday.

After frittering away countless opportunities against Hobart in the first term, in which the Magpies kicked 3.13 including seven points from set shots inside 50m, the visitors blew the match wide open against Hobart at the TCA Ground.
Glenorchy booted eight unanswered goals in those 11 minutes to turn a 10-point quarter-time lead into a match-winning 49-point buffer at the main break.

By the final siren, the margin had blown out to 92 points, with the Tigers delivering a disappointing showing in front of their home fans in the 19.20 (134) to 6.6 (42) loss.
From the outset, the Magpies appeared on song as their midfield brigade ran harder, executed better and tackled with intensity.
Had they kicked straight, the game could well have been over by the first change.

But the reigning Premier League champions didn't let inaccuracy ruin the day and with forwards Jonathon Bowering, Clinton French and David Hunt feasting on countless supply, the second stanza turned into a clinic.
While the second half became an arm wrestle, Reid was more than happy to see his side bounce back from its opening round defeat by Launceston.
"We came up here with a real focus and determination to do well, the boys were pretty disappointed with last week," Reid said.

"To start the way they did and to maintain it for the first half was really good.
"We would have liked to have kicked straighter in the first quarter. We had 16 shots on goal, which showed the amount of ball we had.
"But the guys continued to knuckle down and maintain the intensity and work rate, we started to kick straight and the scoreboard righted itself a bit."
The Magpies had winners all over the ground, with skipper Shane Piuselli setting the tone early and hard nuts Bryce and David O'Garey provided plenty of drive.

It was a different story in the Tiger rooms, with coach Todd Lewis clearly disappointed his players failed to deliver in front of a big home crowd.

"We are just stupid, we give the footy when we shouldn't and we keep the footy when we should give it," Lewis said.
"As soon as we are put under pressure, our structures go out the window and we are going to be put under pressure a lot because this league is obviously a lot harder than we played in last year.
"It's going to be a tough week to regroup. We head to Launceston (next week) and they beat Glenorchy."

Glenorchy 19.20 (134) - Hobart 6.6 (42) at TCA Ground.

Quarter Time
North Hobart 2.5.17
Clarence 4.2.26

The Demons have had a decent amount of the ball, Brad Dutton, and Greg Sharman have given the Dees some headaches up forward in that Quarter. The Demons blew a lot of chances ala Glenorchy last weekend.

Any ideas of crowds at West Park and Aurora Stadium?
ABC Commentators seem to believe that there was a very good turn out up there, at North Hobart there does not appear to be a massive crowd there might be under 1,000 there.

They still won't let Jungles take his drums? :eek:

Down Lauderdale they had a go at me for waving my flag behind the goals once...in the Reserves.:thumbsdown:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back