Star Wars Star Wars - General Discussion / Legends / Comics

Remove this Banner Ad

The special edition re release back in 96 or 97 was the first time I was able to see them on the big screen. The battle of Hoth in the cinema was glorious.
I'm told I was taken to ESB in 1980, but my first memory of movies is ET (82) and ROTJ (83). I saw all three in 1996/97 and then saw ROTJ again during COVID. Looking forward to seeing ESB on the big screen and whether the boy likes it more because of the spectacle.

I haven't seen TPM on the big screen since reviewing it at a preview in 1999. I was disappointed. But I will try to enjoy the pod race and the final lightsaber battle in particular.

I'm told I was taken to ESB in 1980, but my first memory of movies is ET (82) and ROTJ (83). I saw all three in 1996/97 and then saw ROTJ again during COVID. Looking forward to seeing ESB on the big screen and whether the boy likes it more because of the spectacle.

I haven't seen TPM on the big screen since reviewing it at a preview in 1999. I was disappointed. But I will try to enjoy the pod race and the final lightsaber battle in particular.

The first movie I can remember watching is ANH (other than standard kids fare like Bambi etc.) but that was home release. First cinema experience I remember was TPM in 1999.

Even the pod race is ruined for me somewhat now having watched Ben Hur and seeing how shamelessly that was ripped off.

TPM (despite the film itself) was quite the experience in the cinema. Midnight screenings, multiple cinemas packed out. There were genuine roars and clapping as the opening logos appeared, and then a massive cheer with the Star Wars logo. I believe that was a common thing across the globe.

People were probably still too hyped up at the start to then pay close attention to the opening crawl….”the taxation of trade routes to outlying Star systems is in dispute etc etc” :D

Pod race scene I mostly enjoy for the opening, the sound design for each pod race engine as it fires up was fantastic. That kinda stuff was George Lucas at his creative best.

TPM (despite the film itself) was quite the experience in the cinema. Midnight screenings, multiple cinemas packed out. There were genuine roars and clapping as the opening logos appeared, and then a massive cheer with the Star Wars logo. I believe that was a common thing across the globe.

People were probably still too hyped up at the start to then pay close attention to the opening crawl….”the taxation of trade routes to outlying Star systems is in dispute etc etc” :D

Pod race scene I mostly enjoy for the opening, the sound design for each pod race engine as it fires up was fantastic. That kinda stuff was George Lucas at his creative best.

That opening night really was lightning in a bottle, I can’t imagine a phenomenon like that again.

I thought Ep VII's release was pretty similar.

It was great but personally didn’t think it had the same impetus.

Ep 1 was just literally everywhere, you couldn’t avoid it in the lead up. Hell I went to Toys R Us for the midnight release of the toys and there was probably 800-1000 people there, tv crews, was insane.

I’m sure there’s a bit of nostalgia at play but it hit different.

Ep 1 was just literally everywhere, you couldn’t avoid it in the lead up. Hell I went to Toys R Us for the midnight release of the toys and there was probably 800-1000 people there, tv crews, was insane.

I remember the Tazos

Yep I went to one of those Toys R Us openings as well :D

The s**t that I bought that night, still got it in my old cupboard at my parents house. A Darth Maul double ended electronic lightsaber I literally bought because there were two left in the shelf and I saw another gentleman (very reminiscent of the comic book guy from The Simpsons) approaching it with haste so I grabbed one, gave him the other.

The joyous/geeked out look on his face I will never forget, it was peak Star Wars fandom in my experience in that lead up to episode 1.

The Force Awakens lead up was probably very similar for that generation.

Yep I went to one of those Toys R Us openings as well :D

The s**t that I bought that night, still got it in my old cupboard at my parents house. A Darth Maul double ended electronic lightsaber I literally bought because there were two left in the shelf and I saw another gentleman (very reminiscent of the comic book guy from The Simpsons) approaching it with haste so I grabbed one, gave him the other.

The joyous/geeked out look on his face I will never forget, it was peak Star Wars fandom in my experience in that lead up to episode 1.

The Force Awakens lead up was probably very similar for that generation.

I remember a guy with a shopping trolley, full to the brim with figures.

He may as well have bought Ansett shares.

I remember a guy with a shopping trolley, full to the brim with figures.

He may as well have bought Ansett shares.

135568.jpg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Watch ANH on Friday night, ESB on the big screen on Sat afternoon and finished off with ROTJ last night. Seeing ESB on the big screen was great, in particular the big reveal. Reminded me why it’s my favourite film of all time, it just improved on ANH in every way despite that being a great movie in its own right.

Yeah I went yesterday to my local reading Cinemas for the 4-6 marathon, just being able to see that on the big screen, as opposed to at home, just showed how brilliant a trilogy that ended up being, and whilst I do love ANH for the feels, Empire, just like T2, is the follow up that was needed and that we are all thankful for.

NGL, in ANH I was humming the BLR bushes of love during that early explanation scene.

Tales of the Empire was alright, I struggled to care about the characters though. Tales of Jedi was 60x better.

I'm curious to see what the next animated show is, but if I also struggle with TotE, then that's the last season of BB and now TotE that haven't resonated, so wonder if the quality is starting to dip a bit.

It does feel a bit like they're churning some of this stuff out as an obligation rather than with any creative integrity.

Gave Tales of the Empire a shot, given the episodes were short and it was Star Wars weekend. Watched the first three episodes and it certainly didn't change my mind on the animation side of things. Ultimately left wondering what the point of it was.

Also saw ROTS on the big screen on Sunday. There's aspects of it well worth seeing on the big screen, particularly the opening battle, but it reminded me this is a highly flawed film. Despite having three films to show it, they still botch the turn, with Anakin going from self doubt to complete devotion to Sidious and murdering children in seconds. Some of the dialogue is horrendous ('you're beautiful', 'it's only because I'm so in love' :sick:... boggles the mind the same person that wrote 'this is how liberty dies, to thunderous applause' also wrote that line). McDiarmid also goes from excellent and restrained to full-on panto mode when he is revealed. The whole middle act with General Grievous lags and there's too much average CGI, flippy action etc. It's frustrating because the bones of a great film are there and some great moments. If someone was ever given a chance at remaking the prequels, I reckon they could make a great trilogy that really drives home the sense of betrayal and failure Obi-Wan felt.

Last edited:
I'm curious to see what the next animated show is, but if I also struggle with TotE, then that's the last season of BB and now TotE that haven't resonated, so wonder if the quality is starting to dip a bit.

It does feel a bit like they're churning some of this stuff out as an obligation rather than with any creative integrity.
Was the BB worth watching? I finished the Clone Wars but didn't want to jump straight into it at the time.

Also need to give Andor another crack. Only one I never finished and yet it seems like the best one.

Was the BB worth watching? I finished the Clone Wars but didn't want to jump straight into it at the time.

Also need to give Andor another crack. Only one I never finished and yet it seems like the best one.
First season was good then I lost interest.

Andor is fantastic! Might work better for you watching three eps at a time.

BB was okay. But your Star Wars experience won't be any better or worse off by not watching it.

BB was okay. But your Star Wars experience won't be any better or worse off by not watching it.

I really thought it'd lean into the Palpatine cloning plot a lot more than it did.

This is my issue with where SW is these days. Everyone seems scared of stepping on someone else's toes creatively so they leave stories 'for another show' to tell, but then no one tells them and now it's been 6 years and no one actually cares anymore.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back