Sport In General

Remove this Banner Ad

Looks like a bit of a shakeup in the world of Korfball.....

IKF presents competition calendar 2017-2021

October 12, 2017/in Korfball News, Populair

With the new IKF competition calendar 2017-2021 the number of (official) tournaments has increased. A clear choice have been made by the IKF Council to invest in the future of korfball by putting more emphasis on youth competition.

This means that starting from 2018 annually there will be held an Under 21 Korfball Championship, either a continental or world championship.

Apart from that the former (unofficial) Under 19 Korfball World Cup has been transformed into an official Under 19 World Korfball Championship, bi-annually organised. In the years without a World Championship Asia and Europe will have continental Under 19 Championships.

To stimulate korfball development around the globe, the Under 19 European Korfball Championship has been given an ‘Open’ status. This to provide the opportunity for countries in continents where no continental events are being organised to further develop the sport. For now the same thing counts for the Asian countries to give them the opportunity to play against the strongest European teams and keep improving their level.

The composition of the competition calendar for the seniors has remained the same as in the last years, with a yearly program for at least the top countries; a bi-annual continental championship in the even years is alternated with the World Korfball Championship and the World Games in the uneven years.

(Just ignore the horrible camera work to start)

Wow
Didn't even know it existed. Dont see the "gender based defense" working long term. Coaching strategies would take advantage surely.

On a slightly different tack, that was a helluva Rugby Test. I get it was a dead rubber but a great win, and they had to start somewhere.
I get the same vibe as the dead rubber in Auckland in 1978 when Cornelson got 4 tries from the back row. That really heralded a changing of the guard.

:rolleyes: Could be I'm just an optimist.

On a slightly different tack, that was a helluva Rugby Test. I get it was a dead rubber but a great win, and they had to start somewhere.
I get the same vibe as the dead rubber in Auckland in 1978 when Cornelson got 4 tries from the back row. That really heralded a changing of the guard.

Didnt see much as i was watching the Derby. Like the new guernsey.
Should wear it always.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Didnt see much as i was watching the Derby. Like the new guernsey.
Should wear it always.

Yeah I did too. I've always liked watching Rugby. Find it a lot easier to appreciate than league coming from an AFL background.

I'm going with optimist.

So many false dawns for Aussie rugby...

2003 was the last one. They had the country in the palm of their hand and money growing on trees.

Then they absolutely fluffed it.

2003 was pretty much the setting of that era. Late '90s to '03 was "our" time on top. Since then every Bledisloe Cup game won has been a false dawn, along with Super Rugby competition victories. Win the last Bledisloe Cup game and you've got hope for a year. Win the first one and get beaten in the next two and it's a non-story.

2003 was the last one. They had the country in the palm of their hand and money growing on trees.

Then they absolutely fluffed it.

I think this side has the capacity. Yes I'm an optimist. I can see a Bledislie beckoning next year, and Bill coming home in 2019. Just have to hope Super Rugby survives another two years to give us a springboard.

I can also see Australian Rugby in decline if they dont fix the mess of a contrived competition the Super Rugby has become. There's a real chance if a split like world series cricket, and we've very nearly been there before in the 90's with Rugby, when it finally went professional at the elite level.

It's a salient lesson if what happens when the broadcaster owns the game, and there's no effective pushback from the games administration in my view. AFL take note.

Both New Zealand and South Africa would survive a rift ok because they have a strong domestic competition and can retreat to the NPC or the Currie cup if necessary. The Nothern Hemisphere have very strong club competitions. We probably wouldn't as a competitive Country anyway, because we really dont.

Although the Crowd at the Shute Shield GF at North Sydney Oval was encouraging and a sign Rugby fans are taking a step back to the roots of club rugby I think.

:oops:I'm probably not that much of an optimist after all.

I think this side has the capacity. Yes I'm an optimist. I can see a Bledislie beckoning next year, and Bill coming home in 2019. Just have to hope Super Rugby survives another two years to give us a springboard.

I can also see Australian Rugby in decline if they dont fix the mess of a contrived competition the Super Rugby has become. There's a real chance if a split like world series cricket, and we've very nearly been there before in the 90's with Rugby, when it finally went professional at the elite level.

It's a salient lesson if what happens when the broadcaster owns the game, and there's no effective pushback from the games administration in my view. AFL take note.

Both New Zealand and South Africa would survive a rift ok because they have a strong domestic competition and can retreat to the NPC or the Currie cup if necessary. The Nothern Hemisphere have very strong club competitions. We probably wouldn't as a competitive Country anyway, because we really dont.

Although the Crowd at the Shute Shield GF at North Sydney Oval was encouraging and a sign Rugby fans are taking a step back to the roots of club rugby I think.

:oops:I'm probably not that much of an optimist after all.
Sorry mate. Wobblies always give us hope in the dead rubber game each year.
Then doing nothing a year later.
Lets remember its been a very long time since a Grand Slam win in Europe let alone the the Bledisloe.
As for Ol Bill we are a long way away. Rugby is growing around the world at record levels yet in Oz its plummeting to record lows.

Only good rugby to watch are the State comps (Shute leading the way) and NRC.

Super has been aweful for years

Would like SA to carry out their threat and go to Europe.
Have the 5 Aussie sides and 5 kiwi sides as well as Sunwolves and Jags then add a Pacific Island side and Hong Kong.

Super 14 done

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sorry mate. Wobblies always give us hope in the dead rubber game each year.
Then doing nothing a year later.
Lets remember its been a very long time since a Grand Slam win in Europe let alone the the Bledisloe.
As for Ol Bill we are a long way away. Rugby is growing around the world at record levels yet in Oz its plummeting to record lows.

Only good rugby to watch are the State comps (Shute leading the way) and NRC.

Super has been aweful for years

I dont think we disagree that much. Possibly that I like Rugby and want it to succeed. I've never liked NRL and we differ there I think.

Bear in mind we held the Bledisloe for a long time before handing it back to the AB's, who've now held it for a bloody long time I agree.

You're probably right about Super Rugby and the signs have been there for a while. It's the conferences and the breaking of commitments to the Force that seem to be bringing it to a head though.

My view is that hopefully a genuine competition in Oceania including pacific nations like Fiji, Tonga and Samoa will grow from the ashes. Travel makes South Africa, Argentina and Japan ultimately impractical I think.

I dont think we disagree that much. Possibly that I like Rugby and want it to succeed. I've never liked NRL and we differ there I think.

Bear in mind we held the Bledisloe for a long time before handing it back to the AB's, who've now held it for a bloody long time I agree.

You're probably right about Super Rugby and the signs have been there for a while. It's the conferences and the breaking of commitments to the Force that seem to be bringing it to a head though.

My view is that hopefully a genuine competition in Oceania including pacific nations like Fiji, Tonga and Samoa will grow from the ashes. Travel makes South Africa, Argentina and Japan ultimately impractical I think.

I never want a sport to fail, sometimes the NRL Pushes that friendship though.

I think Japan being in the same time zone and with the crowds they are getting have earned the right to stay in a professional comp.
Argies need to stay, they will be champs in a few years, as they had progressed as far as they could as an amateur nation and with the removal of SA then the travel aint so bad.

I never want a sport to fail, sometimes the NRL Pushes that friendship though.

I think Japan being in the same time zone and with the crowds they are getting have earned the right to stay in a professional comp.
Argies need to stay, they will be champs in a few years, as they had progressed as far as they could as an amateur nation and with the removal of SA then the travel aint so bad.

Fair enough
It was a but if a presumption to assume you were anti Rugby. I think Argentina needs a home, and I could live with Japan for the same reason. I didn't consider the time zone compatibility for Japan, but you're right.

SA has always been ambivalent about super rugby, and Europe suits them better for time zones, with travel and viewing less disruptive. I think they joined SANZAR for the opportunity to play NZ sides, and the promised riches anyway. Neither SA or NZ were that enthusiastic initially and that caused resricted scheduling from the beginning, it's snuck up on them over time.

If the Pacific Islands are to work NZ would have to shoulder a lot of the financial burden, and us some.There would be a need to subsidise initially but nothing worthwhile is easy.
I think it's the right path though and sevens has shown it could work.

The trouble with Union is that there was this very brief period of sunshine in an otherwise dismal history that has coloured how we view our latest efforts against them. Yes we beat them and even won world championships but when you look at the totality - we just don’t stack up, and never really have.

Overall
Played 161 : Australia 43 : Draws 7 : New Zealand 111

Even in Australia on home soil we have historically been smacked around
Played 82 : Australia 26 : draws 6 : New Zealand 50

So, even with that small patch of dominance when we would stop them at world cups etc, our overall win percentage is just 26.7% and in Australia on home soil we do only slightly better at 31.7%

The current Bledisloe score is 46-12 and of our 12 we won it five times between 1998 and 2002. So over 40% of our bledisloe wins came in a bright and shining 5 year period. The other 80 years have yielded only a further 7 wins in total.

I don’t know why, every year, we buy into the folly that we might/should win against these bastards. Makes no sense - we never have in the past.

Last edited:
That was easier than I thought...
6cbddb52c380e421927dd0e11e332621.jpg

Remove this Banner Ad

Back