Southern Football League (Tas) Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Just on the 'Team Of The Year' post above, I must admit, I thought young Brock Daniels was pretty stiff not to get at least a seat on the bench.
Absolute jet that guy, by far away Hobart's best player all year and ended up winning the club's B&F by 40-odd votes.
Mustn’t have been a “big enough name” to have made it.

New Norfolk has announced Matthew Smith will be coaching them next year.
No other news from other clubs, most have re–signed their coaches and the bulk of their playing lists from this year.

New Norfolk has announced Matthew Smith will be coaching them next year.
No other news from other clubs, most have re–signed their coaches and the bulk of their playing lists from this year.
Unless I’m mistaken, this will be Smith’s fourth stint as coach of New Norfolk.

Wouldn’t be many that have had four or more stints coaching a club would there?

Unless I’m mistaken, this will be Smith’s fourth stint as coach of New Norfolk.

Wouldn’t be many that have had four or more stints coaching a club would there?
Would be about that, yes.
I can't recall anyone doing that, at least not in modern times anyway, might have happened pre–WW2 somewhere.

Any truth to the rumor that this year will be the last of the state league and that the Roos, Dees, Pies, Kingston and Lauderdale will be back in the SFL next year? I've heard that twice this week from different circles.

Any truth to the rumor that this year will be the last of the state league and that the Roos, Dees, Pies, Kingston and Lauderdale will be back in the SFL next year? I've heard that twice this week from different circles.

Doesn't seem anything public has been said by the AFLTas.

I think AFLTas are just happy to let the league rot. Uncertainty is a killer in itself.

I'd think the Northern teams will be particularly worried. They've had it all on a plate for the last few seasons.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No, I've not heard anything said about it.
Mind you, I wouldn't be at all surprised if it does end up eventuating as the TSL's totally cactus as it currently stands.
Not only does it struggle to retain players but most of the key points to restarting the concept of statewide football seem to be falling by the wayside as the years go by, and the biggest issue around it is the lack of proper leadership of the competition, not to mention the lack of support.

Interestingly, if it does clock out at the end of 2023 it will have run the exact same length of time as the original statewide league – 15 seasons.
I must say, I was warned about three or four years ago that it would eventually collapse and that as a club, we'd need to be prepared for the changes that would likely occur.

I would also say that there would be a fair few things to consider such as the effect on regional leagues, the general makeup of the competition at SFL level should that scenario eventuate.
That would see the SFL go from a nine to a fourteen team competition, would they stick with one competition (like 2001) or go to the previous 2002-2008 format of Premier/Regional? (ie: seven in each).
Would clubs such as Clarence, Glenorchy and North Hobart be interested in rejoining the SFL after the shoddy way they were treated (along with Hobart and New Norfolk) previously in the SFL?

Would they start up a brand new regional competition away from the SFL involving the five current southern TSL clubs and the two from the original TFL?
Would the latter two even be interested in joining such a competition given that neither have been in great shape in recent years?
What would be the requirements to be involved in that competition and would certain clubs be able to even meet those criteria?
If this scenario eventuated, you would have the SFL down to only seven clubs.

There's a lot to unpack there.

My personal preference would be to see the TANFL be reformed consisting of Clarence, Glenorchy, North Hobart, Hobart, New Norfolk, Kingborough and Lauderdale.
However, my gut tells me that the lack of leadership currently involved in football, the lack of promoters and top notch marketing people, lack of financial backers/sponsors and lack of volunteers at club level on top of an already toothless AFL Tasmania would see the five clubs just simply absorbed into the SFL and that it would go to split divisions as it was previously.

Last edited:
The TSL will be kept with the current structure for 2024, if no decision on an AFL License is made by the end of Feb.

That came direct from AFL Tas.

That’s a decent loss for Lindisfarne, might not be as strong
Probably Trey Westbury, who was announced as their assistant coach under Cassidy for this year might end up taking over the reigns.
Played in the rep game last year and finished top five in their B&F.
They appeared to have a pretty seemless transition from Daniel Willing to Michael Cassidy without any obvious form slumps and don't appear to have lost many so most likely will remain pretty strong.
It's all been pretty quiet really, not a lot of news on big recruits about the place in the rest of the competition.

Probably Trey Westbury, who was announced as their assistant coach under Cassidy for this year might end up taking over the reigns.
Played in the rep game last year and finished top five in their B&F.
They appeared to have a pretty seemless transition from Daniel Willing to Michael Cassidy without any obvious form slumps and don't appear to have lost many so most likely will remain pretty strong.
It's all been pretty quiet really, not a lot of news on big recruits about the place in the rest of the competition.

I have it on good authority that the shiftworker himself, Matthew Potter, will be taking the coaching reigns at Lindisfarne.

Not much recruiting news?

Is it a case of just noone to actually recruit?

What are numbers like at training for clubs any word?
Hobart's lost Jimmy Pulford (50 senior games, 1 goal with the club) to Victoria.
Moved over there to live the other day.
Not a lot of recruiting from what I'm told.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back