South Launceston

Remove this Banner Ad

Thats a lot of money for a club to clear, how can a club get to that position in the 1st place??

Thats a lot of money for a club to clear, how can a club get to that position in the 1st place??
Well they're not the first TFL/TSL club to do it and probably not the last. I believe a number of the old SWL clubs still have some debts, obviously with Devonport having their debt wiped.

Imagine how bad it would be if afl tas hadn"t gifted them the under the table cash over the last 2 years!!
Afl tas pay thorp $70',000 per year + smedley as a consulatnt ( with heaps of conflicted interests. I.e also works work afltas and his pet club prospect) + mcgee as gm.. All fill their cars up with afltas petrol cards.
So whilst this is going on they are in huge debt. Eespite the gifted $$$$ of tax payer $$$ ( sport and rec are a major contributor of afl tas).
What happens in 2014 when afl tas stop gifting them the extra approx $100,000 per annum, that other clubs don"t get?

They are stuffed as i cant see any red blue and white, white knights, cause thats what they need. Afl tas have tried to prop them up, now in 2014 they wil wastenthe money on kingbourough and the merged club to save face in hobart... Meanwhile who bails south out of the mire......

Imagine how bad it would be if afl tas hadn"t gifted them the under the table cash over the last 2 years!!
Afl tas pay thorp $70',000 per year + smedley as a consulatnt ( with heaps of conflicted interests. I.e also works work afltas and his pet club prospect) + mcgee as gm.. All fill their cars up with afltas petrol cards.
So whilst this is going on they are in huge debt. Eespite the gifted $$$$ of tax payer $$$ ( sport and rec are a major contributor of afl tas).
What happens in 2014 when afl tas stop gifting them the extra approx $100,000 per annum, that other clubs don"t get?

They are stuffed as i cant see any red blue and white, white knights, cause thats what they need. Afl tas have tried to prop them up, now in 2014 they wil wastenthe money on kingbourough and the merged club to save face in hobart... Meanwhile who bails south out of the mire......
To be honest I can see them being next on the AFLTAS agenda, maybe as part of a new northern midlands team (could get pressured to merge with North Launnie). Hope this doesn't happen, but I wouldn't be shocked if it did occur.

To be honest I can see them being next on the AFLTAS agenda, maybe as part of a new northern midlands team (could get pressured to merge with North Launnie). Hope this doesn't happen, but I wouldn't be shocked if it did occur.
It would be consistent with AFL Tas' Hobart moves.
- move them to Prospect or Hadspen as a "growth region"
- that leaves one team, one council; part of the "justification" for killing the central Hobart clubs; as they would move from the Launceston to Meander Council (Launceston play in the West Tamar council)
- it totally stuffs up another club, something that AFL Tas seem to have high on their agenda (though this one doesn't have much history and is already a result of a merger so AFL Tas might not feel breaking South is revolutionary enough)

...and then they thump the team rated as the one to beat from the south this year...next week it's North...

I watched them play the praccy match against the mariners this year and i thought they were quite impressive that day. I have picked them to finish in the four. After beating Lauderdale on the weekend who i picked to finish second. Anything is possible for south. Burnie are still going to take some beating though. Distance between them and second at the moment.

Round 4, 112 point win, 10.4 to nothing in the first quarter...4-0, nearly matching Burnie, two games clear of third...I might be getting a little excited here...

Round 4, 112 point win, 10.4 to nothing in the first quarter...4-0, nearly matching Burnie, two games clear of third...I might be getting a little excited here...
Good for the comp to see South doing so well. It will be a very interesting game in round 9 when they take on the Dockers at West Park
as they both could still be unbeaten. The Bulldogs have some real firepower up forward and I think they are a serious challenger for the flag. Burnie had to battle hard yesterday to beat Launceston. The Dockers were a bit wasteful in front of goal in the second half having 20 scoring shots to 10 but full credit to the Blues who played really well and despite their slow start to the year I think they will be well in the mix come finals time.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hope not, I'll be selfish about this...!

But feel free to knock off Clarence and Burnie and anyone else you feel like, not just for the feelgood massive upset stick it up AFL Tas factor, but because for the first time in statewide history, it will help South's position near the top of the ladder...I'll be barracking for Hobart as hard as anyone...

Remember guys, I have absolutely no experience in dealing with this turn of events...!

Hope not, I'll be selfish about this...!

But feel free to knock off Clarence and Burnie and anyone else you feel like, not just for the feelgood massive upset stick it up AFL Tas factor, but because for the first time in statewide history, it will help South's position near the top of the ladder...I'll be barracking for Hobart as hard as anyone...

Remember guys, I have absolutely no experience in dealing with this turn of events...!

'stick it up AFL Tas' ?
Be careful not to bite the hand that feeds you!

AFL Tasmania has f###ed Tasmanian football. Not much point trying to pick a battle with me, regardless of who I barrack for - we're on the same team here.

AFL Tasmania has f###ed Tasmanian football. Not much point trying to pick a battle with me, regardless of who I barrack for - we're on the same team here.

As I said, dont bite the hand that feeds. South have obviously done well under Wade. Others dont get the same handouts.

And as I said, no point trying to pick a battle with me. Wouldn't matter if GWSrules was South's auditor, or if he was more likely hearing whispers from an unsubstantiated source that you're lapping up because it's bagging AFLTas and it's not Hobart's fault. What - am I supposed to be shutting up or something? Don't recall being fed by anyone. South can rejoin a lower league and play in the car park for all I care, I'll still hope they smash the f### out of everyone else regardless. I'm not hypocritical if I don't kiss the arse of the organisation that's garotting the beloved game we all grew up with, since I don't have anything to do with South - I've been a Qlder for 17 years...

Go South - that's all you people need to worry about...

And as I said, no point trying to pick a battle with me. Wouldn't matter if GWSrules was South's auditor, or if he was more likely hearing whispers from an unsubstantiated source that you're lapping up because it's bagging AFLTas and it's not Hobart's fault. What - am I supposed to be shutting up or something? Don't recall being fed by anyone. South can rejoin a lower league and play in the car park for all I care, I'll still hope they smash the f### out of everyone else regardless. I'm not hypocritical if I don't kiss the arse of the organisation that's garotting the beloved game we all grew up with, since I don't have anything to do with South - I've been a Qlder for 17 years...

Go South - that's all you people need to worry about...

Not trying to pick a battle. Just sayin', thats all.!!
Clubs like south & burnie getting spoon fed is not good for the competition. The punters know & thats part of the reason why the comp has SFA credibility any more. Supporters cant do much except to vote with their feet. Crowds I've seen have been terrible so far this year.

"Under the table" tells me straight away that this is a viewpoint that comes from second hand information, and is more than likely excluding some up front circumstances that dull the controversy...making for a pretty boring truth...

In any case, Tasmanian footy has far more pressing problems than extra bucks propping up a few clubs - but you have a major issue with that sort of thing, don't you...!

"Under the table" tells me straight away that this is a viewpoint that comes from second hand information, and is more than likely excluding some up front circumstances that dull the controversy...making for a pretty boring truth...

In any case, Tasmanian footy has far more pressing problems than extra bucks propping up a few clubs - but you have a major issue with that sort of thing, don't you...!

I dont know if it is exactly 'under the table' as such. But I do have issues with such uneven treatment across the competition.
I do also agree that we have more pressing issues.

Now that AFL Tas have killed off Hobart and North Hobart, it looks like they are doing the same to South.
http://www.examiner.com.au/story/1526374/league-puts-bulldogs-on-leash/?cs=96
I spent a bit of time thinking about this yesterday. Can't really see where AFL Tas is going with this. I get the changing demographics has diminished the player pool in South Launceston's area. There is nothing to stop AFL Tas just re-drawing the recruitment zones. Can't really see the benefit for AFL Tas to include Prospect Hawks in the licence. Certainly would be an advantage for their junior club though. Gives them more chance of retaining players like Kolodjashnij in their own system. By all reports the playing and coaching group at South support the idea. Maybe they have lost faith in their own board to trade out of their precarious financial position.

It fits with the pattern AFL Tas have at the moment. Destroy clubs. Sorry, too cynical. It fits with their rathr bizarre "one team, one council" philosophy. If the merged club was to play out of Prospect somewhere, or Hadspen, they would be in the Meander Valley council. That is part of the so-called reasoning behind ripping Hobart and North Hobart to shreds after all.
Except it now emerges they want South or Prospect-South to play at York Park, so any consistency on that idea is out the window.

Basically, they just seem hell-bent on shaping their own everything and leaving nothing remaining of Tasmanian football. AFL Tas seem to be operating a lot like the AFL's rules committee, making changes for no reason other than to justify their own existence - and getting most of the changes drasticaly wrong.

I've mentioned here plenty of times before that I'm a displaced Tasmanian, and so I have some trouble keeping up with what goes on other than what appears on The Examiner or The Mercury's web pages - which isn't actually very much at all.

As we all know, footy in Tasmania has been a basket case for years. AFL Tas are clearly intent on the notion that it's future success will be independent of its past. In Hobart/North Hobart, and now in what's going on with South Launceston, they're proving that they see no value in tradition.

They fail to see that, at the moment, tradition is all this competition has. If you started again with 8 new clubs - would anyone go? No, they wouldn't, because they have nothing to support.

So what, exactly, would South be getting out of a forced marriage with the Prospect Hawks? Apart from a reorganisation of junior structures? I can't imagine it helps grow their market. Certainly not when AFL Tas wants them playing at York Park. I don't see how it helps them create more money.

So what's the deal? If South are too much of a financial basket case to remain in the competition - ditch them. There's no benefit to keeping them around as a shadow of themselves just so they can pat themselves on the back and say they have 3 Launceston teams in a crowded market.

I don't understand this at all.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back