Something something Tarzan, something something Jack Watts

Remove this Banner Ad

Dustin Martin isn't really known to be much of a tackler. Bull with the ball, yes, but not exactly a defensive minded player.

Also re: your average argument, typically a smaller sample size means a higher average so Polec's year less would help him there.

Maybe Polec isn't as soft as being made out but he's definitely not a hard nut. Certainly doesn't put his body on the line much, which granted isn't his role.

I watched him v the Bulldogs at Adelaide oval this year and he was a big part of the dogs winning with his lack of physicality when matched up with jake stringer in the last quarter when the latter was moved up the field

1) Dustin Martin is seen as a machine. Jared Polec is seen as the perfect embodiment of a Jane. Both have roughly the same average tackles per game. In no way am I trying to say that Polec is Martin-like (or a hard nut) but he certainly isn't soft.

2) He puts his body on the line more often then what he should considering where he plays. You don't really think it if you don't watch him every week, but if you do, you'd be surprised actually seeing him in contested situations.

3) Polec in 2016 was struggling with form and getting over a foot injury that almost derailed his career. He wasn't physical in the whole year. And um, I was at that game too. The whole team went to shit not just Polec.

Kade Simpson is a gutsy player but hardly a physical beast. Mostly an outside player not really known for his contested ability. Does he fit the bill simply for being small and not squibbing marking contests?

There's more to contesting on a football field than just racking up contested possessions. Puts his body on the line time and time again against much larger and heavier opponents and bounces up every time after getting crunched. A 75kg bloke who plays like he's 90 kegs of muscle. Thread was made for Simmo.

Quinten Lynch was a bit like this.

Didn't squib out of contests or avoid contact but never used his frame enough.

Was going to say Lynch but then thought the same thing. Didn't squib but didn't throw his weight around enough.

There's more to contesting on a football field than just racking up contested possessions. Puts his body on the line time and time again against much larger and heavier opponents and bounces up every time after getting crunched. A 75kg bloke who plays like he's 90 kegs of muscle. Thread was made for Simmo.

80% of Simpson's possessions are uncontested. He plays pretty much as you'd expect for a half back flanker.

I maintain that 'looks like Jane plays like Tarzan' was originally intended for pretty boys who look like they spend more time on their hair than in the weights room rather than guys who are just small.

Was going to say Lynch but then thought the same thing. Didn't squib but didn't throw his weight around enough.

I mainly put it down to him being a gimp.

Was often outmarked by smarter players because he didn't read the ball well in the air from a standing start. McPharlin especially (who was just as strong anyway) used to have his measure and would outmark him one on one without it becoming a test of strength. When the ball hit the ground he'd just barge opponents out of the way like they weren't there, though.

80% of Simpson's possessions are uncontested. He plays pretty much as you'd expect for a half back flanker.

I maintain that 'looks like Jane plays like Tarzan' was originally intended for pretty boys who look like they spend more time on their hair than in the weights room rather than guys who are just small.

Like I just got through saying, there's more to contesting on a football field than just racking up contested possessions. But if that's your idea, then yes, I can appreciate why you're at odds with others who've instead based their opinion on watching how Simpson actually goes about his footy.

Re the "looks like Jane" being originally intended for pretty boys, you are simply wrong. It's a reversal of a long established saying regarding a player's physical stature not being consistent with their game play. It's been around for probably 50 years and isn't really open to re-interpretation. As it pertains to this thread topic, look no further than the thread title itself, which states built like Jane, plays like Tarzan ... so what you maintain is really quite irrelevant.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The phrase is looks, not built. Hence the former yields 2.5m results in Google and the latter 109k, with the first one including the word 'built' being this thread.

Simpson is not physically imposing in stature or play. By all means pump up your guy, he's a good player and pretty courageous, but if not being a squib is the benchmark for 'playing like Tarzan' then I nominate Andrew "hardman" Gaff. I mean he ran back with the flight and was KO'd by Tom Jonas, then ran back with the flight again a few weeks later.

GWILT%20James.png

The phrase is looks, not built.

Hence why I said "looks like Jane" in my post. Further to that, as it relates to this thread, the word used is built; of course that's because the original phrase actually relates to a player's build as well. You can maintain it's all about pretty boys and hair styles, but as I said, you would be wrong, both in the long established meaning of the phrase and in the title of this thread.

As for Simpson, you're welcome to your opinion. It is no surprise to me though to see him named more than any other player in this thread. For good reason.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back