Play Nice Society, Religion & Politics Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Change the date.
Happy to change , but while it's on this day it should be celebrated.
We are a very lucky free country and some of these people demonstrating can just keep to themselves and not make dickheads of themselves like those turning up with Palestinian flags in invasion day protests .
Believe what you want , but don't interfere with others

Happy to change , but while it's on this day it should be celebrated.
We are a very lucky free country and some of these people demonstrating can just keep to themselves and not make dickheads of themselves like those turning up with Palestinian flags in invasion day protests .
Believe what you want , but don't interfere with others
That's not how change is brought about though, is it?

I'm for change , but some are just professional protesters .
So is everybody supposed to be miserable today

How many are professional protesters do you think? You might have been conned by media mogul propaganda if you’re spouting that rubbish.

And no, nobody is expecting you or anybody else to be miserable… you just do you. Contrary to what you seem to perceive, these protests are filled with a lot of joy and satisfaction to make sacrifices to help the downtrodden minorities of humanity.

January 26th 1788 was the first step in the history of Western Civilisation in Australia. No matter who from Europe established their footings in this country first it was going to happen. 200+ years later and we’ve come along way.

Not everything that happened in Australian history was perfect (either for Indigenous Australians or the early settlers being convicts).

Our history may not be perfect but it cannot be rewritten.

Selfishly changing the date will only mean the working year starts earlier. I like Australia Day on 26 Jan as it means January is a slow month from a work perspective.

I don’t care for a holiday in the middle of winter as a replacement.

January 26th 1788 was the first step in the history of Western Civilisation in Australia. No matter who from Europe established their footings in this country first it was going to happen. 200+ years later and we’ve come along way.

Not everything that happened in Australian history was perfect (either for Indigenous Australians or the early settlers being convicts).

Selfishly changing the date will only mean the working year starts earlier. I like Australia Day on 26 Jan as it means January is a slow month from a work perspective.

"Not perfect"
"Selfishly changing the date"

Pretty disingenuous post, or if that is a genuine view, oh boy.

Date could easily be changed to another in summer e.g. latest Friday or Monday of January, if weather is to be a factor.

"Not perfect"
"Selfishly changing the date"

Pretty disingenuous post, or if that is a genuine view, oh boy.

Date could easily be changed to another in summer e.g. latest Friday or Monday of January, if weather is to be a factor.
Fair enough apologies for expressing an opinion that you didn’t like.

The great thing about Australia is it’s a democracy and has shown it’s up to the voter to decide.

Rather than being a bore and shooting blanks. Accept we all have different opinions. We live in a great country.

Sure as hell wouldn’t want to live in the Middle East at the moment.

How many are professional protesters do you think? You might have been conned by media mogul propaganda if you’re spouting that rubbish.

And no, nobody is expecting you or anybody else to be miserable… you just do you. Contrary to what you seem to perceive, these protests are filled with a lot of joy and satisfaction to make sacrifices to help the downtrodden minorities of humanity.
Seriously f , did you see what was happening in Melbourne , banners with our aboriginal flag and Palestine ones . That's a disgrace , if these rats want to look after Palestine piss off over there and don't bring your crap to our country . Then we have the Nazi's on the train in Sydney ! It is Australia Day whatever date it's on , we have a beautiful country , but we don't need rats from warring nations bringing there s**t here

The great thing about Australia is it’s a democracy and has shown it’s up to the voter to decide.

Rather than being a bore and shooting blanks. Accept we all have different opinions. We live in a great country.

Half of them are coming here and dominating the bikies and drugs

I'm not sure what you expect if you summarise the history and ongoing impact of European settlement's atrocities and ethnic cleansing against Indigenous Australians as "not perfect", and pretend that it's those who want a national day that represents (or could be celebrated by) all Australians as being the "selfish" ones.

Seriously f , did you see what was happening in Melbourne , banners with our aboriginal flag and Palestine ones . That's a disgrace , if these rats want to look after Palestine piss off over there and don't bring your crap to our country . Then we have the Nazi's on the train in Sydney ! It is Australia Day whatever date it's on , we have a beautiful country , but we don't need rats from warring nations bringing there s**t here
Who says it's non Australians protesting for Palestine?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm for change , but some are just professional protesters .
So is everybody supposed to be miserable today

no, but as more and more people are clearly not feeling "united" on that particular date, and don't think it's a day of "national celebration" (and i'm one of them), it becomes ever less appropriate as a "national day" ...

that's the same argument as "selfishly not changing the date" ...

no, but as more and more people are clearly not feeling "united" on that particular date, and don't think it's a day of "national celebration" (and i'm one of them), it becomes ever less appropriate as a "national day" ...
That's very true , but the way some go about it is the issue .

Supposedly the Tarryn Thomas matter is resolved one way or tother this week.

iirc there was little debate here when details emerged about what Elijah Taylor had done.

had a squizz at the nmfc Board. To their credit most lol Norfies are not sympathetic to Thomas. A minority are and it is clear there are a lot of blokes who have Jurassic era views of women.
Have always said that if society wants to get serious about minimising violence against women then it needs to start by holding men accountable for coercive control. It's the biggest precursor to physical violence. Everyone knows this. It's evident in the overwhelming majority of domestic violence cases you hear about. Yet it's still seen as this lesser thing that organisations can't do anything about unless a woman turns up bloodied, beaten or worse.

Supposedly the Tarryn Thomas matter is resolved one way or tother this week.

iirc there was little debate here when details emerged about what Elijah Taylor had done.

had a squizz at the nmfc Board. To their credit most lol Norfies are not sympathetic to Thomas. A minority are and it is clear there are a lot of blokes who have Jurassic era views of women.
Agreed.

I’m frustrated but not surprised that some posters are declaring the whole thing to be racist (one idiot even has posted a photo of KKK members and likened it to the AFL integrity unit).

If the matter is thoroughly assessed and a reasoned decision made - so be it, whatever the final outcome.

Have always said that if society wants to get serious about minimising violence against women then it needs to start by holding men accountable for coercive control. It's the biggest precursor to physical violence. Everyone knows this. It's evident in the overwhelming majority of domestic violence cases you hear about. Yet it's still seen as this lesser thing that organisations can't do anything about unless a woman turns up bloodied, beaten or worse.
Yes & what is little known about coercive control is that in the majority of men who practice this are members of a psychological section called Personality Disorders. From Narcissistic, antisocial, psychopathic or other less well known what used to be called syndromes, not disorders. The behaviours are not generally nurture driven, although in a small cluster there may be socio-psychological factors.

The gene pool has been tainted over the journey with the genes of people who in ancient societies would have been driven from the tribes or eradicated. Of those who's sociology is tainted with an upbringing of misogyny & abuse of women as a norm, only a small minority will become abusers. But those who do are so psychologically entrenched into this lifestyle it is very difficult to change their habits. It can be done but requires many months, if not years, of therapy to cure them. Many years ago they would have been called sociopaths. Why? Because their nurture has been the cause of their condition.

A psychopath on the other hand, as Professor Robert Hare says, are just born bad. There is nothing you can do about people with genetic personality disorders, except remove them from society. But society seems loathe to do so

On CPH2471 using BigFooty.com mobile app

It is a complex problem.

Women being the victims is a symptom and I think waiting for signs of potential abuse is already too late. It is a lot more complex than being a male problem. A kid isn't born predisposed to being violent or abusive towards anyone. How people are raised and the social influences will greatly determine how they develop. A lot of people who are perpetrators of violence were victims of violence growing up or had a very negative experience growing up and it isn't just men. Intimate partner violence, be it physical, emotional or psychological abuse is more common in lesbian relationships than it is in heterosexual relationships. Men are far more capable of doing physical damage but the impact on people and society is still problematic because abuse tender to evolve into generational abuse. A mother who abuses her children is far more likely to produce an abuse person when they grow up, so ignoring abuse perpetrated by women will just create generational abusers without anything done to deal with that aspect of the problem.

Thomas has had more lives than a cat, if he was an average footballer he would have been turfed a long time ago, sadly, as an industry we tolerate poor or unsociable behaviour largely because top end talent is hard to come by and if we cut him, someone else will pick him up. You are damned if you do, damned if you don't. We have a female CEO and president, the only way he survives is if they sign off on it, so it isn't exactly a boys club decision.

I do think there has been a shift away from IPV over time, I believe it is reported a lot more than it used to so the numbers might not reflect it but but I believe there is far less tolerance for abusive people than their used to be.

As much as I think Thomas deserves to have his football career ended, will it make him a better person to do so and will it improve him for women in the future who choose to become involved with him? As much as we have the desire to see people who do the wrong thing punished, ultimately, it will be better for society if we can reform dysfunctional people. He has the aFL, AFLPA, the club, his manager, etc all trying to get him to not be an idiot. He has far more resources thrown at him than the average idiot on the streets. If we can't reform him what hope do we have in society in general?

I am pretty disgusted with the whole matter though and would have preferred that it wasn't my club.

I personally think if anyone is convicted of domestic violence their name should be added to a public register along with their photo and some other details. Some may claim this will make it harder for them to get jobs, and I honestly don't care if it does. The public database though means if you are considering dating someone you can look them up easily and find out if they have a history of domestic violence or not.

It is not fair to people (usually women) if they are able to enter a new relationship and have no idea that the person they are considering dating has a history of domestic violence against other partners they have had. These women have a right to know before going on a single date with this person.

Imo in order to improve domestic violence and violence against women men need to hold other men accountable for their actions. Most men have seen their mates do abusive behaviour towards women and not spoken up.

Making coercive control a crime would be good but it's a system made by men for men ultimately

Ban all boys schools too

Remove this Banner Ad

Back