Society and Culture BF style

Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 3, 2002
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Article from The Age about misgivings among some nations around Australia's involvement in the Asian group in world soccer. Relevant to us because it talks about the building of relationships in the Asian region, which Port Adelaide (with many thanks to Lockhart Road ) has a good handle on.

Gulf nations want Australia out

Gulf nations?! Now if it was 'true' Asian nations that would be one thing, but the Gulf nations are fringe Asian geographically even more than Australia.

[QUOTE="Andre, post: 36894467, member: f nations?! Now if it was 'true' Asian nations that would be one thing, but the Gulf nations are fringe Asian geographically even more than Australia.[/QUOTE]
You makethe same mistake I made for a decade or so, Asian doesnt mean just Oriental. There are 2 billion non Oriental Asian.

Watch UK news services and when they talk Asians they mainly are talking about Indians, Pakis and arabs.

Last edited:
Article from The Age about misgivings among some nations around Australia's involvement in the Asian group in world soccer. Relevant to us because it talks about the building of relationships in the Asian region, which Port Adelaide (with many thanks to Lockhart Road ) has a good handle on.

Forget the fact Australia brings in copious dollars, prestige and mutual cultural enrichment, "they win too much :(".

You makethe same mistake I made for a decade or so, Asian doesnt mean just Oriental. There are 2 billion non Oriental Asian.

Watch UK news services and when they talk Asians they mainly are talking about Indians, Pakis and arabs.

*Pakistanis. The abbreviation is considered offensive, a la the abbreviation of Aborigines.

[QUOTE="Andre, post: 36894467, member: f nations?! Now if it was 'true' Asian nations that would be one thing, but the Gulf nations are fringe Asian geographically even more than Australia

I can assure you that a UK news service would NEVER say Paki! Unless it was a Britain First news service!

Nah, it's offensive if the person takes offense. It's not up to you to decide what you did or didn't mean by it.

Now whether you care if they are offended or not...that's a different story.

*Pakistanis. The abbreviation is considered offensive, a la the abbreviation of Aborigines.
I can assure you that a UK news service would NEVER say Paki! Unless it was a Britain First news service!

Its about tone and context - Pakistanis who live in the UK find it offensive because the past history and the adjectives used around Paki, ie ******* Paki, Paki campaigner, Paki a-hole etc. And no, I didnt mean a news service in the UK would use the phrase Paki - I used it in the context that in the UK, Asian tends to equal anyone from Turkey to Bangladesh and Oriental is used for anyone from Myanmar to Japan down to Indonesia rather than Asian, but not always.

Pakistanis in Oz have never really found the phrase Paki offensive because of the tone and context its used in Oz. The cricketers from Pakistan have never been offended by its use when used in interviews by Oz sports broadcasters.

In 1994 - a guy who was working part time for me, was a member of the NSW U/21 hockey squad/team. I went to the Hockey World Cup held out at Homebush with him a couple of times and in one game, we watched Australia vs Pakistan in the group stage game. The Pakistani crowd/cheer squad spent the whole game banging their drums and singing Paki Power, Paki Power. They won 2-1 and it was a great game. The young lad working for me kept singing Paki Power, Paki Power the next couple weeks at work as he loved their enthusiasm and wished Aussie hockey crowds cheered like that. Around 8 years ago I had a long chat with a Sydney cabbie who was an engineer from Pakistan but couldnt get engineering work in Oz. At one point I asked about the use of Paki and he said he wasnt offended the way Australian's use it because we put y's or o's at the end of almost everything. Even back then I knew UK based ex pats didnt like it and he told me that over there its because it was used in a derogatory way. Its about tone and context - like most words that have become no no's.

Its about tone and context - Pakistanis who live in the UK find it offensive because the past history and the adjectives used around Paki, ie ******* Paki, Paki campaigner, Paki a-hole etc. And no, I didnt mean a news service in the UK would use the phrase Paki - I used it in the context that in the UK, Asian tends to equal anyone from Turkey to Bangladesh and Oriental is used for anyone from Myanmar to Japan down to Indonesia rather than Asian, but not always.

Pakistanis in Oz have never really found the phrase Paki offensive because of the tone and context its used in Oz. The cricketers from Pakistan have never been offended by its use when used in interviews by Oz sports broadcasters.

In 1994 - a guy who was working part time for me, was a member of the NSW U/21 hockey squad/team. I went to the Hockey World Cup held out at Homebush with him a couple of times and in one game, we watched Australia vs Pakistan in the group stage game. The Pakistani crowd/cheer squad spent the whole game banging their drums and singing Paki Power, Paki Power. They won 2-1 and it was a great game. The young lad working for me kept singing Paki Power, Paki Power the next couple weeks at work as he loved their enthusiasm and wished Aussie hockey crowds cheered like that. Around 8 years ago I had a long chat with a Sydney cabbie who was an engineer from Pakistan but couldnt get engineering work in Oz. At one point I asked about the use of Paki and he said he wasnt offended the way Australian's use it because we put y's or o's at the end of almost everything. Even back then I knew UK based ex pats didnt like it and he told me that over there its because it was used in a derogatory way. Its about tone and context - like most words that have become no no's.
I think it's great that it's not offensive over here, no word in itself can be offensive, it's the way it's used that makes it so. Means that it hasn't been used here to hurt people. I wasn't judging your use, just succinctly pointing out that in the UK it's equivalent to the N WORD.

As for your example...it's not used only for Pakistanis in the UK but for all sub continentals and many Arabs. There's no question of it being used by anyone but Pakistanis trying to reclaim the word.

pieces of s**t
KC5e7Qy.png

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Going Clear?

Freaks

I'm Trying to Disconnect cause i am a SP.... or a DSP... according to Scientology...

I don't know whether call them Freaks qualifies..... just easily brain washed people who were never engaged with nature, religion of some sort and human rights before they joined, cause if they were, Scientology wouldn't exist. To me that is gullible and dumb. Having said that, with the current religion standards and beliefs which are eroding away quickly who's to say they are any better.... but there is a difference, a true religion gives you a choices... but i digress....

I'm Trying to Disconnect cause i am a SP.... or a DSP... according to Scientology...

I don't know whether call them Freaks qualifies..... just easily brain washed people who were never engaged with nature, religion of some sort and human rights before they joined, cause if they were, Scientology wouldn't exist. To me that is gullible and dumb. Having said that, with the current religion standards and beliefs which are eroding away quickly who's to say they are any better.... but there is a difference, a true religion gives you a choices... but i digress....

A true religion also doesn't make you pay 300k before they tell you that all your problems are due to the spirits of extraterrestrial beings called Thetans clinging on to you who were killed by some intergalactic warlord called Xenu. They tell you their bullshit (or not, depending on your perspective) up front for free to whoever wants to listen.

i seriously don't even get what they were going for with that banner though

we already know they're imbeciles. 'stop the mosques'? have they been following abbott?

you've already got a s**t image/reputation. why not just go for something simple and say 'heck islam'?

it's like they've tried to be politically correct with a moronic right wing racist banner. get a brain morans

A true religion also doesn't make you pay 300k before they tell you that all your problems are due to the spirits of extraterrestrial beings called Thetans clinging on to you who were killed by some intergalactic warlord called Xenu. They tell you their bullshit (or not, depending on your perspective) up front for free to whoever wants to listen.

And what religion uses confessed truths of a member bribing them to keep people ino_O.... that's on the same criminal level as the Mafia:cool:

Just goes to show how dumb humans are or how money is the root of all evil....

and this is Collingwood, one of the most left wing areas of Melbourne, strongly tied to the Labor Party, where the book Power Without Glory by Frank Hardy is based (albeit in 'Carringbush')

and this is Collingwood, one of the most left wing areas of Melbourne, strongly tied to the Labor Party, where the book Power Without Glory by Frank Hardy is based (albeit in 'Carringbush')

The Labor Party once actually stood for Australian, Christian working-class values, not Muslim worship and gay marriage. It now stands for nothing that's why it falls for everything.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back