So, who's off to Sydney next week?

Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 26, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Newcastle Jets, Cleveland Browns
Anyone? I finally have the funds for an interstate trip, but have new job training til 3pm on the Friday. Can I make it? :p Well I'm taking the risk and booking a flight that departs at 5pm with Tiger (risky I know), which should see me make it to Sydney at around 6.30. What's the deal with the check-in policy at Tiger? 1 hour before the flight departs? What's this I hear about online check-in?

Also, was wondering what avenues of transport there are from the airport to ANZ stadium? Any trains, trams or buses which will take a tight arse there, or am I in need of a cab? I'm not really fussed though. Should be a great time and a fun trip.

If anyone is going and they have any questions, maybe we can keep it in this thread to help one another out. GO PIES!

Anyone? I finally have the funds for an interstate trip, but have new job training til 3pm on the Friday. Can I make it? :p Well I'm taking the risk and booking a flight that departs at 5pm with Tiger (risky I know), which should see me make it to Sydney at around 6.30. What's the deal with the check-in policy at Tiger? 1 hour before the flight departs? What's this I hear about online check-in?

Also, was wondering what avenues of transport there are from the airport to ANZ stadium? Any trains, trams or buses which will take a tight arse there, or am I in need of a cab? I'm not really fussed though. Should be a great time and a fun trip.

If anyone is going and they have any questions, maybe we can keep it in this thread to help one another out. GO PIES!

Train straight to Central (private line means it's expensive but quicker than anything else at that time of day), then depending on the setup there may be 4 stop express trains from central to olympic park, leading up to the game. There were for the H&A game up here, so i'm guessing they'll do it again. Although it's peak hour friday night vs Sat night.

Will post into this thread as soon as i find out.

I got cheap flights on jet star
How much Shellz? Cheapest I can get is 200$ on Tiger.
Train straight to Central (private line means it's expensive but quicker than anything else at that time of day), then depending on the setup there may be 4 stop express trains from central to olympic park, leading up to the game. There were for the H&A game up here, so i'm guessing they'll do it again. Although it's peak hour friday night vs Sat night.

Will post into this thread as soon as i find out.
Thanks for the info HP. :) Really appreciate it. Can we pre purchase the train tickets or do we have to wait til we arrive at the station.

:thumbsu:

How much Shellz? Cheapest I can get is 200$ on Tiger.

Thanks for the info HP. :) Really appreciate it. Can we pre purchase the train tickets or do we have to wait til we arrive at the station.

:thumbsu:

dunno, but if it's like the H&A game, you might be able to use your game ticket for public transport (not the private airport line though).

So the Central to Olympic park leg. They normally announce the ticket/transport sitch well prior to the game, but obviously it's different for Prelims

Just managing your expectations here Pera ...

This bloke flew Tiger airways and was so disgruntled that he wrote a song about it. I know one of the guys referred to in the song.

Oh, and also my CEO flew with them recently (modest bloke, bless him) and was so appalled about the service he sent a mail out to the whole company warning us against flying with them.

Thats excellent. Cheers Handy. Who are you going to fly with or you dont know yet?

I live 5-10 mins drive from the stadium. :thumbsu:

Just managing your expectations here Pera ...

This bloke flew Tiger airways and was so disgruntled that he wrote a song about it. I know one of the guys referred to in the song.

Oh, and also my CEO flew with them recently (modest bloke, bless him) and was so appalled about the service he sent a mail out to the whole company warning us against flying with them.

Yeah I'm worried, genuinely. :p Being a tightarse might cost me I reckon, unless i find a better deal with Jetstar (unless they are shit as well). :D

I just want them to get me there on time and Ill be happy. They can piss in my complimentary soup if they like. Just please guys, get me there on time!

I just want them to get me there on time and Ill be happy. They can piss in my complimentary soup if they like. Just please guys, get me there on time!

Quickest way on Friday afternoon is probably train. When you land, head down to the station under the airport. A ticket to the city will be $15 from memory (yeah, ripoff). Catch a city bound train (they should be every 10 mins or so) and go 3 stops to Central. Get off at Central and head to the other end of the station, to the main hall. You'll find the Olympic Park trains will leave from there. As HP mentioned, the trip from Central to Olympic Park is included in your game ticket. It's about a 20 minute trip. When you get to the other end it's a 10 - 15 minute walk, depending on what end of the stadium you're sitting in.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Worried about the no online check in for Tiger...

School finishes at 2.30, Google maps says I work 51 minutes from Tullamarine...= 3.21, 4.15 flight.... hmmmm....
Check in deadline is 45 mins before your flight so youd be cutting it thin. Maybe a 4:45 flight or 5? Would you go straight to the game from the airport?

Quickest way on Friday afternoon is probably train. When you land, head down to the station under the airport. A ticket to the city will be $15 from memory (yeah, ripoff). Catch a city bound train (they should be every 10 mins or so) and go 3 stops to Central. Get off at Central and head to the other end of the station, to the main hall. You'll find the Olympic Park trains will leave fom there. As HP mentioned, the trip from Central to Olympic Park is included in your game ticket. It's about a 20 minute trip. When you get to the other end it's a 10 - 15 minute walk, depending on what end of the stadium you're sitting.
Brilliant. Should make it smack bang on 7.30 in that case presuming the flight lands in time. Cheers for the information 76. :thumbsu:

Do Tiger have some silly thing that you need to be there two hours before the flight?

If so, you guys might have to talk to your boss / get a leave ticket / find a friendly GP to give you a medical certificate - to get you out there in time.
Check in close 45 minutes before the flight. So who knows if they have the check in machines or you have to go and line up? Should be fun I reckon :p

Just a reminder that there are train options for those with time on their hands - see here. (depending on your student / concession status, cost of getting to and from the airports and availability of cheap flights, etc, etc, flying may or may not be cheaper). There is one day train and one overnight train every day.

There are also bus options too - see here. (train 10 x better than bus for me, but it's a personal preference)

Hi-ho Hi-ho off to Sydney town i go!

Booked last night leave here 11.30am Friday - back 3.30pm Sat - hopefully straight to Hawks prelim (if we win Friday night to have a look at our opponent!)

I'll be there. Got my plane tickets last night while sitting in the Southern Stand after the game. Managed to beat some of the price rises but am leaving at the crack of dawn on Friday.

Word of warning when buying tickets for the game - check the stadium map carefully before committing to tickets. The categories they put the seats in are all wrong (probably bsaed on rugby seating rather than AFL). Some of the bronze seats are much better than the silver, even some of the gold. In other places the platinum seats are no better than the gold etc.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back